25-31PC or CS Owners: Happy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Edward, Mar 6, 2002.

1. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

I currently have a vintage 20-39PC and have pre-ordered a new 25-31PCi. I want that extra bit of impact and I'm hoping that the 25-31PCi will provide it. Everything I read suggests that the 25-31 will kick some serious HT butt.

But I worry about missing the extra extension. Do the 25-31 owners out there feel they are missing anything?

The pre-order process has given me WAY too much time to think about my purchase.

Thanks for any insights...

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

I've got a 25-31PC and I've heard Due N's twin 20-39CS's a couple of times. Honestly I have to say that these subs sound very much alike. It makes sense when you consider how our ears' sensitivity rolls off on the low end. So basically if you find that your 25-31 doesn't shake things enough then maybe you should get a different model. But I'd say go all the way to a 16-49 just to make sure that you can actually tell the difference.

Edit: Obviously my reading comprehension is down a bit today. I think the 25-31PCi will work very well with your 20-39.

3. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

James,

Have you looked into the woofer upgrade that SVS is offering? I've ordered it and will turn my 20-39PC into a 20-39PCi.

Might that give you the xtra boost you want? Or do you want to use both subs?

Brian

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

5. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I received a 25-31CS this past week and though its too early to say anything in detail, I am very happy with the performance of this sub. Hit hits hard and tough.

Even though its considered the smallest of the SVS line, believe me its not a small sub.

It looks and feels pretty impressive in my HT room. Just big enough for me.

JohnG

6. John*S

John*S Agent

I'm on my third SVS purchase, a pair of Plusses this time. In both cases my decision was painful, difficult to make up my mind. I had sold my 16-46 CS's and wanted the most impact, so I ordered 20-39CS+s. I also liked their smaller size -- let's face it those 46's are big. But I wanted the lowest lows too. I wasn't sure of my decision.
    A couple of comments in an email from Ron S helped me decide:
    "The reason you are having so much difficulty nailing this down is because it's a perfect example of shades of gray. The 20-39CS-Plus combo will go a bit louder on bass above 30Hz, but the 16-46 will go a bit louder below 20Hz. Bass above 30Hz is more common, but bass below 20Hz is more thrilling.
    The differences are there but they are hardly night and day."
    Based on the increased SPL of the whole Plus line, I decided to go for "more thrilling". I wanted these to be my last subs -- to handle anything the latest DVDs could throw at them. So, I wound up changing my order to a pair of 16-46CS+s. They definitely have the impact -- in fact with the Samson the sub out control on my receiver is set at -2db relative to the 0db setting for my mains to achieve +4db to the mains on the SPL meter. There is also no question about their ability to go low. They're still big though [​IMG]
    Anyway, there isn't a bad choice -- the differences won't be startling. It's how big a room you have to fill, how loud you like to listen, and how many subs you want to buy. With a one-sub solution, the 31 will provide the most SPL for most material before it reaches it's limit. If you can spring for two subs you really have options. I started with a single 46CS and the second made all the difference in the world in my 4000cf room. The Plusses and Samson combo take it up another notch.
    Have fun making up your mind -- you know, you can always buy a couple of each and make your decision live, you'll only be out the shipping each way. It could be worth it.

7. Lee Bailey

Lee Bailey Second Unit

Lee Bailey
    I own a 25-31PC, and I don't think I'm missing anything! Quite the opposite, I now have more than I can use! I have my HT calibrated at 70db, with the SVS at 74db. I was watching the DVD of Blade, next thing I noticed was the large block of crystal on top of the TV fell off! Luckily for me, it was thick stuff, and it fell onto a carpeted floor.

8. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    I am a happy owner of dual 25-31's and I don't feel I am missing out on anything. The 25-31 may be tuned at 25hz, but it still has pretty strong output even lower than that. TV told me that output remains fairly strong in the 17 to 19 hz range. I must say that I do believe he is right! I am excited about the impending arrival of the new improved woofers later this month. I am really looking forward to comparing them to the already awesome woofs that they are replacing. It was really great of SVS to offer the upgrade for those of us with the "OLD" woofers.

9. Todd_TC

Todd_TC Auditioning

I have a 25-31PC with the upgraded driver. I don't feel like I'm missing anything at all. Supposedly the new amp will only provide a 2-3 dB increase, but I can't turn mine up over half-way anyway.

10. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I have dual 25-31's. I had them retuned to 22-31's. I gain a little more down low but lose a db or 2 up top. Maybe something to look into.

11. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I also have a 20-39PC and am very happy with it. It is the first sub I've used in my HT that gave me the throb of my big sub in my vehicle.

Recently I added an ART 351 eq to my SVS and saw a significant improvement. I had already been shaking everything in the room, now I'm shaking the house.....

I have ordered the upgrade........ if it's any better, I don't know if I can stand it.

12. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I have heard a 25-31 and a 20-36 side by side with very deep HT material, and I would rather have the extra headroom than the extension (ie, prefer smaller sub).

13. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies. Any more 'my 35-31 kicks a$$' stories, keep 'em coming. I can't WAIT to get my 25-31PC.
    I want Ron and Tom to stop posting on this and other forums and drive to Canada and pick up those amps, get back to the shop, and start on order #2395 ASAP. [​IMG]