$2400 to spend on 5 speakers (getting sub on other budget)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Chris.R, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Chris.R

Chris.R Auditioning

Hey there. I have about $2400 to spend on a 5 speaker setup (2 towers, ceneter, 2 bookshelves on stands). I have a seperate budget for my sub. I was wondering what I need to try to hear before making my purchase. I listen to about 60% HT and 40% music.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

2. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

The B&W Dm600 series would fit in perfect for you.

For

3. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Chris,

I would suggest taking a selection of your favorite DVD's and CD's out with you and listen to as many speakers you can. Make a weekend of it or something. Go to as many retailers as you can. Speaker selection is very subjective, both in sound and aesthetics (looks are important to some people). Only you know what you like and sounds good to you. There are hundreds of possible brands and configurations that people could reccomend. Jus' tryin' to help.

James

PS: How does Dan know what he chose is perfect for you? Seems a little biased to me.

4. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I agree with James, you need to go out and listen to as many different speakers as you can with your music. Now for my bias. I suggest going to audioenvy or the forum at av123 to request an audition of Rockets. Their Package #1 or #0 at least fit your requirements. The sound you'll have to judge for yourself. There are plenty of owners in Texas so you shouldn't have a problem finding someone who'll have you over for an audition. Package #0 has a floorstander for a rear instead of a monitor as you noted but by the time you get some decent stands your in the same price range and they're having a sale on Package #0 now so the difference is only $50.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I'll second Alex... Rockets all the way but take the time to go listen to some at someones place. If you cant, order like the front three and listen and see if its to your liking. They are tremendous speakers for the price! Guarantee with the only exception you pay the shipping back. Even if it turned out not to be for you, you will always wonder.... What about those Rockets!!!! Thats what happened to me.

6. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You will have some very fine choices in this price range Chris. Not a bad budget at all. Even with this much to spend, you might wish to consider some of the Internet-direct companies. In this price range, I’d really recommend two: ACI and AV123.

ACI is a bit more expensive, so you might not be able to get towers up front and stay in your budget. The cabinetwork is really very fine with these speakers and you can get a variety of wood veneers.

AV123’s Rocket line is well worth checking out. In your price range and budget you could get two of the 750s up front along with the 200 center. For the rears you could choose between the less expensive 550, towers, the bookshelf 250s or if you like dipoles for your surround speakers, the 300s.

The cabinet quality is equal to ACI, but you are limited to just a couple of finishes.

Both of these companies have very fine reputations, both in terms of product and in service.

There are some individuals who do custom work who often post in this thread. It might be worth seeking one of them out. I have no direct knowledge of their work, but for sure there are some satisfied customers.

7. Lew Crippen

Looks like I'm seconding previous recommendations.

8. Chris.R

Chris.R Auditioning

What is ACI's webpage? Time to head to google!

9. Lew Crippen

ACI Home Page.

Sorry Chris--but I was short on time on my prior post.

10. Chris.R

Chris.R Auditioning

I am currently trying to track down a place to audition the Rockets. Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming!

11. Lew Crippen

You might try posting on the AV123 site. Or calling or e-mailing AV123.

I remember that someone else in Houston wanted to audition and I'm pretty sure that was sorted.

12. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

At that price point, you are really about in the sweet spot for speaker selection. What I mean is, there are probably the largest selection of speakers to choose from in that price point, and that price point is also around where diminishing returns on price vs performance comes in. With $2300, I would look to spend:

~$1-1.4K on mains
    ~$500-700 on my center
    ~$400-600 on my surrounds

You're preference might differ, but I think that is about the type of ratio people have spent on their 5 speakers. Good luck, and make sure you audition, audition, audition.

13. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Phase Technology either the PC series or the Velocity series. You could even get a 7 channel setup and have money left over. 10 year warranty, built in the USA.

I know in Houston that there is a dealer who has some in stock to listen to them.
    http://www.audio-concepts.com

14. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Hey,
    Shane I gave the PT Velocity 12's a listen and for my taste they didn't do justice. I tested them against the B&W 604's and preferred those. Yes I know different price range but they didn't carry much else to compare.

Back to the topic
    Chris,
    Like others have mentioned audition the Rockets and try to audition the Axioms.
    I second Dan's opinion and try the B&W 600 series. Also add Paradigm to your list.
    If possible add the Dali Suite 2.8 series to your list. I believe a place in Austin and Plano carry them.

15. Tim Ranger

Tim Ranger Stunt Coordinator

A system with five ACI Emeralds is really sweet. A former friend (that's another story) has that setup and it is really a blast to listen to. does a great job with music and HT.

16. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

I wasn't going to say anything until someone else mentioned all bookshelves, but something like 5 GR-Research A/V-2s would be pretty awesome as well. With your budget you wouldn't need to do them DIY and you might as well just buy them completed.

17. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Supporting Actor

What a coincidence! Just last week I picked up my new speakers. I paid $2415.00 for the following KEFs:
    Q11 (x2) - towers
    Q10c - center
    Q1 (x2) - surrounds

However, that doesn't include stands for the surrounds. I haven't gotten those yet (they're sitting on end tables now - where do I put my cocktail?).

I compared them to Klipsch, Paradigm, and Boston. They all sounded good, but KEF sounded more balanced & accurate, and less bright than the others.

Also, it's a little early to give a comprehensive review, but so far they sound a lot better than my previous JBL N-series set!

Doug

18. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I'm going to suggest something that may be rejected by some people here, but I'm of the firm belief that your surrounds should be just as good as you mains, and your center channel be as capable of full dynamic sound as application/budget permits. 5.1 surround offers five channels of FULL dynamic sound, and ideally, all your speakers should take advantage of it. Bookshelf surrounds were more applicable in the days of dolby surround and pro logic. It is what I have and the sound is quite impressive. The rear sound imaging is more pronounced with this type of setup.

19. Chris.R

Chris.R Auditioning

Is there ayone who has auditioned the Rockets and then decided to go with something else? I am realy interested in those who have been able to hear some of these speakers side by side with the same equipment. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will be heading out for more auditions soon. I also think I have found a place to audition the Rocket 750's.

20. Dah-Dee

Dah-Dee Supporting Actor

OneCall is having a ridiculous clearance sale on Infinity Kappa series speakers. Check it out:

http://ww3.onecall.com/ModelSearch.m...ufacturerID=20

... So you could pick up:

Infinity Kappa 600 mains (pair) (cherry) $1,270.00
    Infinity Kappa 200 bookshelf [as surrounds] (pair) (cherry) $703.32
    Infinity Kappa Center (cherry) $460.00

Total: $2,433.32
    + Shipping approx. $172.35

... or you could sub (in place of the 200s) the Infinity Kappa Surrounds (pair) (cherry) [bipole/dipole] for $766.66

Total: $2,496.66
    + Shipping approx. $169.29

You could also sub the Kappa 400 mains (for the 600s) at $1,096.66 to get down a little closer to $2,400.00.