What's new

24!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Van Patton

Second Unit
Am I the only one who is excited about tonight's premiere of the first episode of twentyfour? From what I have read this seems to be the break out show of the season.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
If you are the only one excited, the Fox marketing department definitely has failed. During the World Series, there were constant ads about this show, TV Guide has it as "The best new show of the season" on their cover, there's a review of it in the latest Entertainment Weekly.
It's one of the most talked about shows of the season.
I seriously doubt you're the only one.
Me? Yeah, I'm excited too. :)
/Mike

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
For some reason, I am excited about it and I don't even have a clue what it's about. I've just heard so many people excited about it, I guess it just kinda rubbed off on me. I'll check it out tonight for sure.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Each season of the show will take place in the span of one day. The show is shot in real time, and to prove this, there is a digital counter on the bottom of the screen to provide the viewer where in the episode they are (depending if it's 12:30am, 3:10pm, etc). Even when the show takes a break for a commercial, the show is still going (you just won't be seeing what's going on).
The plot is as follows (from the IMDB):
Jack Bauer is the head of an elite team of CIA agents who uncover an assassination plot targeting Presidential nominee David Palmer. Meanwhile, Jack's strained marriage to his wife, Teri, is pushed to the brink by the sudden disappearance of their troubled teenage daughter. What will the next 24 hours hold?
I'm excitied about this show, but the first ten minutes of the show is going head to head against the last ten minutes of Buffy: The Musical (eck).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Even when the show takes a break for a commercial, the show is still going (you just won't be seeing what's going on).
That's pretty cool. I was wondering how they'd get around bathroom breaks for the characters, I guess they can just go when I go: during the commercials. :)
/Mike

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Edit: I over did it on the yay thing... just noticed now...
tongue.gif

I'm really expecting alot from this show... i read an article in the entertainment section of the paper today, the author said it was really good...
also, another reason is Elisha Cuthbert.. im sure you read my "the only reason im so anxiously waiting for 24 to start" thread... if not:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum26/HTML/001559.html
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.
[Edited last by NickSo on November 07, 2001 at 12:00 AM]

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Intriguing. I will tune in next week as well.
Are the two guys who are with the daughter in on the plot?
And let's give it up for the airplane chick. Yummy.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
No way it could all happen in 1 hour tonite. The whole thing is time compressed unless everybody lives and works right next to the valley.
rolleyes.gif

The bit about pulling passwords from any phone line is a joke...sure, if every phone line in the country is tapped (for both voice and broadband), and a zillion recording programs are parsing out every possible password response string.
rolleyes.gif

And you can still blow up a plane on TV, as long as you re-edit it to keep the explosion off camera.
I still thought the show was OK. I'll watch it for a couple of more weeks and see what I think.

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
I enjoyed it immensely. There were some issues with timing but... :) All is good. I look forward to it in the future and we shall see if I follow it to its logical conclusion or not. If they can keep the suspense up and the cahracters good, Fox may have something else enjoyable going on.
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Meh...
FOX sure hyped up this show - especially the first episode.
Not extremely compelling but I'll give it another shot next week.
To change the topic slightly, I thought the Simpson's Hallowe'en Episode was kind of flat. I'm afraid this show is going downhill. It was a good ride while it lasted...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I just finished watching it, i think its living up to its hype so far.. The story is somehow gripping, ill be watching it tomorrow...
I dont think the two guys are a part of the plot, but who knows... Next week, i gotta see what Jack plans to do with the blown up 747...
Spoiler:Hehe, who else thought the guy in the airplane was the sniper? It would've been too obvious if it was though... :)
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
Birthday: November 29 (Sagittarius)
Horoscope:
Sagittarius - You are very sexy and women are attracted to you.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Good show, maybe not as good as I had hoped, but I will keep watching it.
The password thing was more bogus than most "hack" jobs, but oh well.
I kept an eye on my watch to see how well the show was keeping time. It jumped ahead a bit before the first commercial, I assume so it could end right at 1AM, but other than that it was fairly consistent, except that characters were ablt to move around pretty quick while they weren't on camera.
[Edited last by Graeme Clark on November 07, 2001 at 12:09 AM]

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
There were some issues with timing but...
You can say that again. WTF!? I was really into the whole "Real Time" thing going in but everything went out the window about 8:20 CST when they came back from commercial with at least 2 added minutes to the clock (the commercial break was about 4 minutes) By the end of the program, they were off as much as 8 minutes (Screen Time vs Real Time) by my count.
While I love the central +1 storyline (Jack & Nina + Terrorist doing bad things), the hour felt really full with the added storylines of Palmer w/ phone call, Kim's outing with the 2 weirdos, Teri & Mr. York's search... I realize that all the storylines will intersect at some point, but it's a lot to keep track of straight off the bat. Introducing the characters was smooth without being overly expository. Also, it's nice to see Penny Johnson again after the end of DS9 (it seems she got hitched too!)
I wouldn't give 24 the best new show award (that would go to L&O: Criminal Intent) but it's damn good so far. As Herc would say, definitely worth my valuable time.

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
I think the whole real-time issue is a gimmick. You can still use split-screens and even have each episode representing ~1 hour in a day without pretending it's happening in second-for-second real time. The biggest problem with purportedly fitting everything into one day is that, as someone else pointed out, everything must be happening in a 3 block radius. I wonder how they're planning to account for L.A. traffic during rush-hour.
Also, consider that Spoiler:daughter managed to 1. finish a game of chess with dad, 2. go to bed, 3. sneak out, 4. drive to furniture store, 5. chit chat and drink, 6. watch her friend get laid, and 7. take off for somewhere else in well under an hour. You've got to be kidding me!
And another point in respect of the time bullshit:
Spoiler:When the parachuter is ejected and the plane explodes -- is the sun not rising/setting outside? ISN'T IT SUPPOSED TO BE 1 A.M.?!?
All of my bitching aside, I would wager money on the fact that this show will be the closest thing to a new Survivor or ER in a long time.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
for the people that said the hacking part was bogus, i totally agree, but at least they didn't do some really lame graphical interface thing :P
also, if this show ever gets put out on home vid, it won't be real running time, would it? :P
i guess they could re-edit and put in filler, but that's alot of filler.

tyler O

Stunt Coordinator
Heh, a "Director's Time Coded" version.
-spoilers abound tonight-
Add some stuff and make it actually be 30 (or 25) seconds after she pushed the button on the bomb. Granted, there was only a few seconds difference, but, I am a stickler. If you are going to have a gimmick, whatever, do it right. Figgis did better with his four cameras. I thought the sun did rise over the Mojave at 1AM but what do I know.
wink.gif
Again, I'll keep watching because I enjoyed it, I just don't know if I will finish.
I wonder about the aspect ratio however. A bunch of the commercials I saw were in what looked like 1.66 or 1.78 : 1. Then the show proper was full frame. Kind of odd. Maybe they did it like X-Files. Shoot HD, air Full. Bah, who knows. As long as some people enjoy...
------------------
Share and Enjoy - The marketing division of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite.
My DVDs

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I enjoyed the show for the most part. But there were several things that were unbelievable and distracted me from the fun. The password hacking using a telephone number was one. You don't get static when a cell phone cuts out. How did the sniper get a bomb on board an aircraft in her carry-on luggage? If I got shot in the leg with a dart gun I'd be throwing fists after waking up. Nobody in the office saw that gun inside the folder? If I were going to fake a phone call to my boss I wouldn't be calling Time...I wouldn't call anybody.
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Spoilers!!!
I thought the bomb was inside the fire extinguisher, not inside the luggage. Didn’t the luggage just contain her jump suit? Of course, that only complicates the issue of how the bomb got onto the plane.
Sure the real-time thing is a gimmick, but it’s a good one. It’s only TV, and everything in TV is a gimmick, so I won’t be a prickly stickler over its implementation. I thought the concept was fun.
However, I did noticeably wince over the phone-number/password thing, and I winced even more when all it took was a sad, puppy dog look to get the agent to perform the search without a warrant. And then Jack has the nerve to talk about the “Evils of Compromise.” Sheesh.
Still, I thought the show was compelling and very entertaining, and I’ll stick it out for a while.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I thought the same thing about the timing issue... there is NO way that all of that could have happened in 60 minutes. I kept thinking "how did the daughter manage to do all that up to this point...?"
Also when Jack was giving his speech about "compromise" I found it ironic that he was asking his agents to compromise big time.
I also found the whole "password from a phone number" routine to be typical Hollywood fake-believe.
Other than that, I really enjoyed this show! It has alot of potential and Im really looking forward to next weeks show. I'm really wondering about the contents of the phone call to the Senator!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks