What's new

24: Season Three observation (1 Viewer)

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Has anyone noticed that they hardly use the split screen format that made this show so awesome anymore. Of sure every phone call still uses it (as do the little bit scene the commercial break) otherwise we never see two people's perspective's at once.

What happened to this show. It used to be so freakin amazing, and now it's so cliched and worn out now. I'm done, sorry Jack, I just don't care anymore.

p.s. to the show's producers: stop bringing Nina and Sherry back, find some new villains.

Anyone else share by bitter disappointment?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Not to hijack this thread, but have any fans of 24 gone back to the La Femme Nikita box set? I understand it is by the same people. If you feel dissapointed by the current season of 24, would this earlier work be worth checking out?

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
Incidentally, the guy who now directs/produces 24, Jon Cassar, had a son who went to my highschool here in Brampton, Canada. I met the son once, but knew of him more through his friend who I occationally talked too. Long story short I, nor my friends we're never impressed by his dad have done Nikita - as its honestly a horrible show - and sadly looks like they brought Nikita's...um... creativity?... to 24, and well ruined it. However, I hear Mr. Cassar is a really nice guy, and so was his son, so it kinda frustrated me.

I know from interviews that the writers of 24 never plan more then 7 episodes ahead (something like that) perhaps it's time they start coming up with a grander scheme - it may play more coherently through out the season.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I'm still watching and more or less enjoying it, but the thrill is gone. They don't even have the great ending scenes anymore - it just seems to fade out every week. Too many bland supporting characters and dead-end subplots, weak villains (they'll never top Ira Gaines and that Sentinel guy), over-reliance on torture scenes, and I agree about Nina and Sherry. As much as I like those actresses and those characters, the fact that the producers have to bring them out of mothballs every time the show starts to sag means they really should get some better writing. I'll finish out the season, but unless they take the show in a new direction with a new cast and location, I probably won't watch next season.

Just my opinions. :)

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched the new episode. I have to say, the show has truly gotten more interesting since Nina/Sherry have stepped back into the picture. Wouldn't people agree?

Before it felt like it was spinning it's wheels, and though having the oldies back may seem cheap in a way, it feels kind of complete in a way. At the end of the day, people want to see the characters who they remembered and loved/hated.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
But the oldies seem to come back every season. It took a second movie to bring Khan back to Star Trek, not to mention like 30 episodes.

Also does anyone find they're rushing through the show. Remember how it took half a day for Jack to rescue Kim and Terri before the other half of the plot with Victor to pop up in Season One? In this season...

...they had disproved the virus in 4 episodes. Come on, slow stuff down. Build some suspense. The show isnt even half way through and Palmer is one his second problem. Tony was shot and out of surgery and back to work in what 4 hours? Jack went from Virus hunting, to a jail break, to Mexico all in 11 hours!!! Please.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Tonight's episode was pretty bad ass.

So Claudia is dead, huh? Jack's not gonna like this

I'm really hoping we'll find out what Jack whispered to Nina last season. Maybe a "Remember what you told me that day......" out of Nina

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The quality of the directors has gone down. In the first season, Stephen Hopkins was the main guy, and when he wasn't directing, there were still guys with feautre experience like Brian Spicer doing it. I've noticed a lot more no-name or lesser TV guys this year.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I'll agree with this. This is getting repetitive. They should be a little more creative.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
They don't seem to be following the real time concept any longer. For instance, when Wayne goes to see that woman in the restaurant, it seemed to take him only a few minutes to get there. I've never been to LA but I've heard it's not that easy to get around, even at night

The Chloe subplot better not evolve. Like anyone gives a damn about her child being there. The only one who seems to be really cool this season is Chase. He can sure take a lot of punishment. Otherwise, 24 has really worn thin for me this season.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator

I kind of like the baby subplot. I hope she brings him to a staff meeting and he ends up spitting up on someone. Chase is cool... just like Justin Timberlake.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

They took short cuts before to speed up the action. But never like this, people could travel across town in three minutes flat. It's just stupid. And boy, Jack really got over his heroin problem fast, didn't he.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I'm just not getting the 24 Buzz this season. It started out promising but then just fell into "Damn, not more David Palmer bullshit" to break up the scenes with Jack. As I've stated in other threads, 24 has lost the coveted 'My Favorite Show on TV' spot. I'll stick it out, but things better pick up or it may turn into a taped-to-be-watched-later program.

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Random Thoughts-

He took the pills from the Salazars last week, and it's probably tiding him over...

Rathered enjoyed the light comedy between Chloe and Chappelle this week:

-"They don't have a rule for it because it's COMMON SENSE!"-Ryan Chappelle

Ramon has become really interesting, as he is risking his life to accompany Jack. Here's betting Ramon may actually sacrifice himself to save Jack...

Milligan and Wife could prove to be interesting because they tie into the unscrupulous backers of Palmer from season one (the ones who framed his son)...

So now Nina kills her last surviving stooge to protect Jack and hints at disappearing with him, together. Gotta love Nina's Dr. Evil-like tendency in doing this work for a paltry $2 million...

Claudia bravely gives her life so that Chase can escape to freedom. Here's to you baby...

Tony handled the situation with Kim like a man but was a bit too hard on Michelle. Though she doesn't help her own case any with her ice-cold demeanor(wasn't it possible for her to just say "I was worried about you because I love you"??)...

And while we're at it, how many times has Kim left her work station in the last few hours? 2, 3 times maybe?? It's pretty obvious Kim is having her role marginalized to please fans of the show...

Finally, Re: Quality Of Show

I can't believe it. Best episode of the season and people are complaining. What this season represents is the third part of a TRILOGY. No one complains when all the characters show up in each Lord Of The Rings film, yet it upsets people to see Nina and Sherry back on the show. What people don't understand is that these characters represent UNFINISHED BUSINESS, Nina in particular, as we find out from Chappelle tonight that she was supposed to be living in North Africa after her pardon. I thought it was great tonight, one twist and turn after another.

Point simply being, when and if Nina winds up being stone dead, THEN we can bring in some new villains.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I pretty much agree with Ric. This has been the best episode in a while.

And I still agree about the recurring characters. Are people here saying they aren't interested in seeing where this Nina/Jack situation goes after all that's happened in the past two seasons? I mean, she was his right hand woman in season one, but then disappeared in season two. It seems we may be getting a resolution.

At the end of the day, though, I'm happy they are able to tie storylines together from the previous seasons. The plots of each season are self contained, but it's nice to know the relationships can still linger and carry emotion from two seasons ago. Makes me feel like I didn't waste two years investing time into getting to know the characters only to be forgoteen or written out of the storyline without a proper ending for them.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm with Ric as well. Wayne Palmer stuff aside, I thought last night's episode was really strong.

I, for one, am happy to see Sherry back. I'm interested in seeing what the hell happened to her between last season and now.

edited for typo

John Watson

Screenwriter
To me its like the old-time serials - highly improbable (in a totally different way than the cartoonish ALIAS), but gripping.

The Chloe scene actually made me laugh, that's the first comedy I've seen in the series. Another example of how anyone and his dog can walk into this top secret installation.

Chapelle was much less dislikeable than he used to be.

It was a big shock to see that even Sherry is back, but then, I'll be back next week myself.:)

Since this thread is reflecting on the show in general, I must say I dislike the yellow tones of the Mexico shoots, but, and I think this is a new observation, does anyone notice and like the music from the show?

It seems to be mostly low-key computer music, a deep-space hum at times. At least for the indoors-at-CTU scenes. Was it the same style in the first season, I can't remember?

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
I enjoyed the recurring characters in season 2, they were like old high school friends catching up with you, but now I feel like they have worn out there welcome.

The show has gotten tired in a hurry. 24 was born on originality and in your face excitement and season 1 and 2 were effective and lots of fun becuase of it.

Now it is a tired format, mainly becuase I do not care about these characters anymore. Jack Bauer needed to be shelved this season, along with palmer, 24 needed to turn the format on its ear again, instead they took the easy way out and gave us a repeat of Season 2.

It has become can miss TV now, a shame indeed.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Re: real time

I remember, somewhere in the season 1 set, that the producers were saying how Kiefer Sutherland complained when he was at CTU and he was suppose to get to the hospital. He didn't want to cheat the time and that's why they had him take a helicopter. Now it's like people can just teleport around and we're not suppose to notice.

It's nice to have Nina back but how has she gone from being so intelligent to being a moron? Does she really beleve that Jack could like her after she killed his wife? She better be trying to play him because this will go stupid quickly.

I use to be a huge fan of the show but they are really starting to try my patience.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Make that two weeks. The next episode isn't until January 27. The evening of January 20 will be dominated by the State of the Union address, which Fox (among others) is broadcasting live.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks