What's new

24: Season Six thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
It's a freakin TV show.....

Any political vibe you get is because you are looking for it....

Mindless action and entertainment.... and as I see it, the series has just gotten better.... No daughter being chased by mountain lions..... not daughters being taken back to the freak of the weeks mountain side cabin.... etc.... etc....

This series is excellent at spinning in a different direction when you least expect it.... and for those watching to night..... hold on to your ass, fred!

Dugger

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I personally thought the amount of political discussion was excessive. Had it been limited to the group discussion in the Oval Office laying out both sides of the issue and establishing the characters' opinions thereof, it wouldn't have been a problem. But the continual restatement of the discussion (Karen/Tom in the hallway, the multiple conversations involving POTA's sister, etc) seemed unnecessary and redundant.

On the other hand, to say it was 2 hours of liberal propaganda seems more than a little hyperbolic...

WillG

Senior HTF Member

As has been pointed out, 24 has a mix of Republican and Democrat writing and production staff. I read an interview once with Co-Creator Joel Surnow where he described himself as a "Right Wing Wacko" So usually the storylines have a mix of Right and Left wing ideology. Recall all the use of torture to that is effective in gaining information. The "get things done" even at large costs decisions in order to acheieve a greater good. I remember in Season 3 an A.C.L.U. type lawyer was portrayed as nothing more than an obstacle preventing CTU from extacting vital information from a lead they had captured. One episode from season four took a shot at Michael Moore. Actually, pretty much the whole villian plot of season four could probably have been foiled in the first few hours if the son of SoD Heller had just talked to CTU instead of being a "You have no right to do this to me" resistor. Last night, they even made sure for the Palmer sister to declare that she is not a "Flag burning liberal" or something to that effect. Even David Palmer had to make decisions that could certainly be considered on the Right wing side. On the other side it is made sure that there are portrayals of Good Middle Eastern characters and Middle Eastern characters that get unfairly victimized. Hell, I think if "24" was all liberal they would not have used Middle Eastern terrorists at all.

I'm sure things will balance out more as the season progresses

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Wouldn't you notice more if there was no political discussion? It's a show involving the President and terrorism. Tough to stay completely away from the motivations of the good guys and bad guys. And if all the Americans were good guys and all the Chinese, Arabs, North Koreans, et al were bad guys, it would be pretty boring.

Dan Mc

Stunt Coordinator
Fun start to the season...not sure if I'm buying Kumar as a terrorist, which is funny, because I remember seeing him say in interviews that he always found it annoying that the only acting jobs that he could get were as a terrorist.

Looks like they've found a suitable Kim/Sherry repacement for unbearably annoying side story with the president's sister and all.

mylan

Screenwriter
Kumar reminds me too much of Fred Armisan from SNL to be a menace, I.M.O., I think he'll be the first to crack if caught.
I am having more and more of a "leave your brain at the door" feeling while watching so far.
I think the writers messed up concerning Jack's burns on his hands. They are going to have to recreate that in make-up way too much, the back I can see as not being over the top..
just some random thoughts.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Kim was annoying (but hot), but Sherry? She was a high point of the show as far as I'm concerned. Deliciously conniving.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
When seeing all the battle damage to Jack on his body and hands I couldn't help but think, wow does his face look pretty and untouched. Guessing it was so they wouldn't have to recreate them from now on in the 24 universe.

Slower start than last year, but it sure is picking up the pace fast. Can't wait for tonights episodes.

Why can't other addictive serial shows start their seasons like this? What better way to get the audience hooked. Lost would have benefited from a structure like this instead of hyping up the 6 episode arc (which never really occured). At least next year it looks like they are doing an completely uninterupted run.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
Just guess the propaganda never occurred to me...

Just serialized thrill and excitement....

Tv is a work of fiction and it has always appeared to me that way.... Never looked or allowed fiction to impede my enjoyment of the show... just figured that it was set up and story line....

24 is IMHO some of the best tv out there... and the fact that they have made every effort to now bring it to you every week with repeat makes it even more enjoyable...

The seasons in which they didn't run consistently, I lost interest and waited to see on dvd...

Dugger

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
It was nice to see Marisol Nichols as Nadia. She was always my favorite Audrey Griswold in the Vacation movies for some reason.

I'm having a bit of a hard time buying Wayne Palmer as the president. I don't see any political experience in his background other than being the brother of the former president. Seems like it would be more believable if he had been a senator or a governor or something like that in the past.

Was that Kal Penn who played the neighbor whose father was taken away by the FBI? I don't see him listed as being in 24 on the IMDB. I kept having Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle flashbacks when he was on screen. [Edit: I just noticed from previous posts that it was Kal Penn]

I think the first two episodes were pretty good and I'm encouraged by the fact that I keep hearing episdes three and four are even better. I'm hoping that this season is better than the last one. I REALLY liked seasons 1-4 but there was something about season 5 that kept me from liking it as well as previous seasons.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Did anyone else recognize Erik Bruscotter, Big John from CAN'T BUY ME LOVE, as the neighbor who breaks Kumar's door down?

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

I'm in the same boat. I thought the show went off the rails last season with the illogical revelation about Logan being involved with the attacks, and given that it's going to be on against Heroes this year, the tonight's episodes will have to be a whole lot better than last night's.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
it's not a spoiler. donald s. is NOT jack's father. sheesh. plus, if you guys are truly fans you already know about it already. anyway, i'll just read from afar and stop posting here until this season's done.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I loved last season, but this season's opening two episodes on Sunday night really didn't do it for me. I know with 24 you have to suspend belief and all that, but this one was ridiculous.

First, Jack Bauer has saved the life of virtually everyone on the show, as well as countless others and the President only makes a deal with the Chinese to give him up for dead? Bullshit.

Jack breaks free and no one in the administration believes him. (Gee, how many times do we have to go through THAT?) isn't it time they start trusting him?

I think it took a full episode before Jack ever got a gun. That's a no-no in Jack's world.

In the deal for Jack, the President and CTU authorizes the terrorists to monitor ALL U.S. satelites....ummm...how would they know how many we have? We couldn't have any other way of monitoring the place, like agents in a van parked across the street? Totally far-fetched.

After the deal goes down, Fahed is still in the compound with Jack. Flip the switch and focus the sats on Fahed. As far as CTU knew, jack was already dead. They'd never just let Fahed go unmonitored. Again, totally fake.

Kumar? (in my Joab voice) C'mon!

President Palmer II? Completely unbelievable.

Jack hears ONE SENTENCE from Fahed about Assad being a former terrorist but now is here in the US seeking and end the attacks, and by that one sentence, Jack undermines the President, commits possible treason, helps him escape and now works with him. Here's an idea, kill Fahed and Assad. Kill first, ask questions later. This is 24. :)

Also, no news reports of a fighter helocopter firing a missile into a quiet neighborhood of LA? There would be even more panic as people would be thinking we're under a military attack as well.

Lastly, in the race to get to Assad's compound, Jack makes it to the location in what looked to be a 1985 Buick Regal bucket, but the figher helicopters who have been circling the skies of L.A. just waiting for the moment to strike will take three plus minutes to get there.....hahaha oh, ok.

Sorry for teh rant, but it was just one completely fake moment after the other that took me out of the episode. I hope the second night makes up for some of the first night's absurdity.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure his campaign got a lot of milage over the tragic death of David Palmer, but still, I would think that some of the shenanangans he has been involved with in the past (including past seasons) would render him unelectable. Who knows, maybe he'll turn out to be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks