1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

24: Season Six thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by TravisR, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Joe_H

Joe_H Screenwriter

Another subpar episode, but that scene at the end with Jack and Heller was awesome.

2. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

What I most liked about the scene between Jack and Heller (besides the fact that we got to see some Heller, which is good), is here we see a father talking to a guy who results in his daughter being in danger, despite the fact that he's also a man who has high appreciation for what Jack's done for his country. It isn't that he's saying Jack's a bad person or anything, just that ... well, people tend to die around him. I'm sure he feels for Jack and all, but... this is his daughter we're talking about. As I watched the scene unfold, I ping ponged between, "Right on," and, "Ungrateful b*****d."

Heller sure did get there quickly. He must have already been in L.A. and somebody in the chain thought to notify him.

3. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Maybe I'm losing it, but didn't Heller end up in a car that went off a cliff last season?

4. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Yeah, but we all know that cars plummeting off cliffs don't always result in death. [​IMG]

For me, this was one of the weakest episodes of the season and that's saying something considering my thoughts on this year. The scene with Morris and Chloe in the corridor may have been an all-time low for the show. That's the kind of crap I'd expect from a Lifetime movie of the week, not 24. Like Travis said, her character has done nothing this season and that's a shame as she's been a huge part of the show these past few years, maybe the second most important character overall behind Jack. I really hope the writers look long and hard at what went wrong this year and right the ship for next season because I hate to see my favorite TV show struggling like this. [​IMG]

5. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

PhilipG

He got better.[/Cleese]

[​IMG]

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah but an episode or two later, Jack and Audrey got a report that they found Heller's car and he was going to the hospital and would survive. You never actually saw any of that but they did say it.

EDIT: I've often wondered if William Devane is 'difficult' to work with because he seems to quickly pop and then dissapear just as quickly in this show.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I think the only good thing was seeing the VP's face when Lennox dropped the hammer on Lisa and then having to cop to schtupping Lisa as well. Otherwise, a horrible episode. Only 4 hours left!

8. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

That almost sounds like a cry of relief! Just need to add "Thank God" in front of that.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

At this point, it was more of relief than excitement and anticipation (a la Heroes).

10. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Thanks for the clarification on Heller. I should've remembered... ;-)

I am soured on this season like many of you. Maybe that is because the past two seasons of the show were so good...I dunno...

It just seems like we've gone through all of these hours and nothing much has happened. I think the writers were hoping that we'd all find the plot with Jack's dad and brother to be interesting -- the fact is that I never bought the fussy doc from "ER" as Jack's brother (albeit, half-brother) and didn't think that twist was all that intriguing.

I think this season was hurt by the fact that it didn't focus as much on Jack.

I think Rick(y) Schroeder's character of Doyle is interesting, but I really did like Curtis. I understand the mantra of having surprise deaths, but Curtis had really become a key part of the show the past couple of seasons.

I think Schroeder is potentially being groomed to take over in Season 9 (assuming he, and the show, live that long).

Didn't we already have a nuclear bomb subplot in season 4 (again, it all gets fuzzy after a while). I recall multiple bombs going off (one victim being Edgar's mother). Sure, the bomb detonation in the first four hours of season 6 was surprising, but it WAS NOT enough to carry us through 20+ hours.

I also think that the tragic character of President Logan was sorely missed this season (except for his brief appearance during the Russian embassy sequence). There was something very intriguing about the interplay between him and his wife Martha.

I think they tried to do that with VP Daniels. But did we really need another situation where the Veep takes over for the President (as happened in season 4). Granted, the situation was different, but it still seemed like a retread.

It was never explained how Wayne Palmer became President. I was never a big fan of DB Woodside's character in season 3. In many respects, it would have been more interesting to have someone new in the Oval Office at the start of the season.

I do think it'd be interesting to find a way to make Karen Hayes the president in a future season because I think she'd be interesting.

If it is any consolation, my wife doesn't notice much difference. Of course, she isn't nearly as picky as I am when it comes to these shows.

I know that because of filming schedules they continue to start in the morning and end in the morning.

I think it might be nice to have them shake up the start time a bit (like, say, maybe start at 7 p.m. in the summer -- still light out) -- that'd give them the opportunity to start out with some daylight, go into night, then have more daylight scenes to round out the last half of the season.

11. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Jonny, I feel like we're sharing the same brain because I pretty much agree with everything you just said. [​IMG]

12. KevinGress

KevinGress Supporting Actor

Didn't S1 start off at midnight? I watched the first few episodes of 24 when the show first started, but then dropped off until last season.

Since I've only seen this season and last, I don't have as much to compare to as everyone else here. I certainly agree it's not as good as last season, but I'm not as disappointed as others. I'm enjoying what's there and waiting to see how Jack gets payback.

13. Nick-R

Nick-R Agent

I don't think the season is any better or worse than any of the previous seasons, it's just getting stale. How many near misses, shocking deaths, conspiracies, leaks, etc can you watch before you need something else to shock you? They're gonna have to start focusing on stories instead of action, which they have tried this season.

I think the 24 hour format is really starting to limit the writers, to be honest. Without being able to bend time for travel any more than they already have, Jack is limited in what he can accomplish in an hour. Think of what Jack has done in the past 18 hours, there's no more time left in his day. People complain that there's not enought Jack, then they complain that the writers skew time to get events in. That's the way things have to be unless you want the season to take place in a phone booth.

14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't think it's hard to believe (at least on 24 [​IMG] ) that Wayne was able to ride his brother's coat tails into the Oval Office. Wayne did have experience as his brother's Chief Of Staff so it's not like Chloe was suddenly President (although that could have been a fairly humorous angle). However, the real reason is that by having Wayne be President, the writers have someone that the audience and Jack knows right away and there's an automatic history and trust built in too.

15. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

True enough.

In response to Nick-R's sentiments that this season isn't any better or worse than previous seasons, I would tend to disagree.

All of the seasons of "24" focus on a particular story (and intermix action). The problem with this season is that the story isn't particularly compelling compared to seasons 4 or 5.

Action is the reason you tune into "24". Narrow escapes and cliffhanger moments are what the serialized format is all about.

But most importantly, people like watching Kiefer try to "save the day" (even if it it ridiculous at times). He's the reason people tune in every week. Jack being Jack is why people tune in.

This season has similar elements to the past seasons, but unlike past seasons, the whole isn't greater than the sum of its parts.

16. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I disagree completely. I've watched each of the previous five seasons multiple times and the dropoff in quality between this season and all of those is HUGE. It's almost like the entire writing staff has been replaced by a bunch of amateurs who are trying to mimic the formula that made this show great for five years. I know that's not the case, but this certainly doesn't feel like the same group that made 24 my favorite show on television. [​IMG]

17. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I liked the way the doctor talked like Speed Racer. [​IMG]

18. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yep, Keifer Sutherland really elevates the show. In my mind, the best scenes in last night's episode were when Jack grabbed Audrey and when Jack was talking to Heller. One scene was an action sequence and one was a dramatic scene where two guys talked to each other but both of them were much more interesting because of Keifer Sutherland.

I'm willing to bet that Keifer Sutherland's screen time is only slightly less than in other years but you notice it more this year because they aren't utilizing established characters and they've had trouble creating interesting new characters this season.

19. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Just like flat-lining in an ambulance, or being taken off-camera then hearing a shot [​IMG]

I wonder if William Devane is in any more episodes. How much do you make in a walk-on like that? "Hey, it'd be cool if we could get Secretary Heller back. Good thing we didn't actually show him dying."

I liked the VPs reaction to Tom's news. At least he didn't drag it out, and admitted the problem immediately.

I forgot to check the times, but seemed like a really quick quickee.

20. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK

Not only was that guy a quick shot, but it was only 10 1/2 minutes from putting Audrey on the helicopter to getting her into a medical gown, hooked up to monitors and in a hospital bed at CTU medical. [​IMG]