What's new

24: Season Six thread (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
That nails the whole problem with this season - too little actual Jack Bauer! Karen, Bill, Morris, Milo....WHO CARES?!

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think you're giving the likes of 24 too little credit and maybe giving Shakespeare too much. He was the pop culture of his time.

And I feel like I've said it a million times, but it bears repeating - wouldn't something be more exciting to more people if the writers sweated the details and kept things internally consistent? More attention to detail and actual smart writing would only make the show better.

Also: Was anyone else hoping that when Jack went to the abandoned hotel to which he directed Chang, he'd find a brightly-lit shopping center that had been built during the two years he'd been in a cell? After all, he didn't even know who was President eighteen hours ago, let alone which areas of Southern California had been redeveloped in his absence or which highways had traffic cams.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
While it might make the show better, that would probably also mean less viewers. We're talking about the American public here.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Even the chunk of the American public being underestimated likely wouldn't complain or stop watching a smarter show, because if the writers are doing their jobs right and well, they'll have manufactured suspense and thrills from the constraints of the physical universe that they're working with, rather than in spite of them. It would be just as good for them and more people would like it because they wouldn't perceive the show as insulting their intelligence.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I understand what you're saying about wanting the writers to stick to reality better but I'd rather see an exciting show that moved as opposed to a show that was mired in getting computer jargon right or the specs for a missle correct so a miniscule fraction of the audience can know that they got it right.

I've got a pretty good knowledge of the series and besides obvious things like tapping at a keyboard and instantly hacking a Defense Department satellite, I can't really remember anything that is just flat out factually incorrect. They cheat travel times by putting Jack in a helicopter but I'd rather see that than have Jack stuck in his SUV on the 405 highway all episode. :)

Joe_H

Screenwriter

The way this season is going, I'd expect that before the day is over ;)

Of course, it'll be at 3am, so then we'll have people complaining about the massive amounts of traffic at that time of day, you can't win I guess :D

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Just discovered another technical discrepancy in the 24 universe.

I have to travel to Russia soon. Foreigners need a visa. My contact recommended a fee-for-service agency next door to the Russian Embassy in Washington DC to get that for me. Thinking swiftly, I asked couldn't I just go to the Russian Consulate in Los Angeles and apply? I got a snort; turns out that there is no Russian Consulate in LA.

(I did an on-line search -- there is a Chinese Consulate.)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
As far as I know, there isn't a "CTU" anywhere, as it is a made-up organization for the show.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

Good. I hope that fires them and the writers up to have a kickass storyline for next season. No matter how these last 5 hours play out it's glaringly obvious that this has been an "off" season for the show, but I have faith that they can come back with something great for next season. They just need to make sure that the focus is put back on JACK BAUER and not all the ancillary characters that the viewers don't care about.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think the prodcuers have anything to 'apologize' for since they don't owe me a great season but I expect to read interviews where the producers will talk about what didn't work in this year. I've found the prodcuers of 24 to be very open about when they screwed up. Obviously, it's a little harder to figure out when you're in the middle of the season to know what will and won't work (or worse, realize you've made a mistake and have to fix it) but at least they're open about when they feel they have made a mistake.

I think a good case in point is how Jack's family storyline was pretty much dropped this year (although there's still time for Phillip to make a reappearance). I thought that story had potential but it just didn't work out right and Phillip 'vanished' as soon as he led Jack to another avenue of investigation.

As for the ratings dropping, I'm sure it's a combo of natural drop off and the drop off in the quality of the episodes this year. In other words, this season could have been incredible and they still would have lost some audience members who have just gotten bored or watch Heroes or go to bed at 9 PM.

EDIT: Overall, like Brent I'm hoping that the mistakes made this year help charge them up for next season.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of dropped storylines, what the hell happened to Logan? He got taken off in an ambulance bleeding to death at the end of an episode and was never mentioned again. :confused:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
#80 on the body count list, my friend. :) That was actually one of the storylines that I thought was pretty good (Gregory Itzen was really great in the Logan role) and was bummed to see it end so abruptly. When Logan was bleeding out in the ambulance at the end of episode 13, it definitely seemed like a cliffhanger rather than a death scene but I guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks