What's new

24: Season Six thread (1 Viewer)

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
This season is getting tiresome. Seems to be all over the place. After the amazing season 5, I knew there would be a letdown, but....DANG!

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Travis. This season might not compare favorably to others in the past, but when compared to other shows, 24 is just a very entertaining, adrenaline ride and it's still fun to watch.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Personally, I disagree, I think its a chore to sit through it and watch it these days. I know people are going to say I shouldn't post here if I don't like it, but I want to like it as much as the past seasons, and there's absolutely nothing that pulls me in. This is opposed to the first time I saw season 1, in which I got through it in 4 days on DVD, or when I would rewatch the old seasons and do the same. Those years I was pulled in right away, but that's just not happening anymore.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
I have to admit I don't understand all the people saying how much worse this season is from last. As someone who's always said every season has gotten worse than the previous, I'll agree that this one is no exception...but the pacing and suspense (or lack thereof) doesn't seem all that much different than last season.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Sometimes, trying to give feelings on "24" is like extolling the virtues of your favorite ice cream at a health food convention; You know it has issues, but you also know you eat it and enjoy it on some base level.

Season 1 was my favorite season -- by far. I simply loved David Palmer, Sherri Palmer, Nina Myers, the villian, et. al. That said, Terri, amnesia, Kim stupidity, etc. all had me rolling my eyes. I remember pointing out some things in the S1 DVD thread (I think it was here) and being told they didn't know if it would go past 13 episodes, then had to kind of make up some things on the fly.

So did I like it or not? I liked it enough to be irritated by the stupid moments, and enough to finish the whole 24 hours over the course of 3 days. Yes. Season 1 was indeed DVD Crack, foibles and all. No way you can recapture that, and I don't blame the show for not reaching those levels again. It was new. It will never be new again.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Normally, I would think "Well, get the hell out of here if you don't like it then" :) but, as I always say, 24 has always shown that it can start a great run of episodes at any time so I definitely think it's worth sticking with it to see where they go with the rest of the year.

Maybe the biggest problem this year is that they haven't gotten a long run of good episodes yet. So far, there will be a good episode or two but then they'll follow it with an episode or two that's not as good. Unfortunately, when they get some excitement going, they're not able to keep it going.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
I only started watching the show this year and I have to say that I am entertained by this season. However, I don't watch a lot of other shows, so I can't compare it against the quality of other dramas. That said, I went back and started watching the series on DVD from the beginning (finished with S1 and S2 and one disc left in S3) and I will admit that this year is a considerable dialing down in intensity.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member

I think that's it exactly. There have been moments of brilliance(Jack interrogating his brother is possibly the best scene in the history of the show) and even great standalone episodes, but it just hasn't been consistently good like seasons past. As far as every season being worse than the last(as Scott said), I completely disagree with that statement. The idea that this show has gone downhill every year is completely absurd IMHO. In fact, I thought seasons 4 and 5 were every bit as good(if not better) than seasons 1 and 2. Up to now season 3 has always been my least favorite, but it will move up a spot unless this season really gets going for the final few episodes.

Joe_H

Screenwriter
I think another huge problem is that most of the characters are gone. Buchanon is okay, and I like Chloe (although she hasn't been the same this year at all, the funny awkwardness is basically gone), but other than them and Jack who is there to care about? I think losing Tony and especially David Palmer is a huge loss, as much as Palmer's storylines could drag on sometimes.

Also, I should have been more clear in my previous posts. I'll still be watching the show, but probably time-shifted instead, and watching Heroes live. I'm reluctant to do so, because I've loved the show for so long, but it'll probably happen.

I do agree with the comment that last year was probably the best yet, (even though I do believe they need to go back to smaller more personal crises) and that its hard to top though.

I disagree that season 1's addictiveness is hard to replicate, I've watched every old season at least twice, with 3 viewings of S2 and 4 of S1, and every single time, I end up watching the entire season in less than 4 days.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know who played Mark? (the guy who was having his brother Brady download the files from the mainframe) He seemed very familiar, but I just couldn't figure out why.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
If Jack ever finds himself a victim of government downsizing (yeah, that'll be the day) it seems he can find work driving the short bus. He really showed a soft and tender side few knew existed. Of course, the first time one of those window lickers acts up, he'll snap back into agent mode and start bitting throats out.

MikeMO

Stunt Coordinator
One thing, also, that I believe allowed seasons 1 and 5 to be the best was how they were set up from the start. There wasn't a crisis that needed to be resolved by ONLY Jack Bauer. Both seasons began with Jack Bauer enjoying his life. He was with family or people he cared about, and he was content. Suddenly, chaos starts happening, and it's PERSONAL chaos to boot. People he knows and love are either being targeted or being killed. All of the sudden, he is a man drawn into something much bigger than himself, and yet he cannot turn away nor ignore the threat. He must find a way to take action.

That's also why I think Die-hard works so well. John McClane wasn't sitting at his desk in the police dept, eating donuts, when he got the call to head to the tower to resolve a terrorist threat. He was attempting to enjoy his night at a party and got caught up in it. There was an element of surprise and a feeling for the viewer of, "wow, this COULD be me in this situation. How would I handle it?"

paul_v

Second Unit
All "24" fans should watch the latest southpark episode. It will have you rolling in laughter.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
At this point they might as well put this show on in the afternoon right along with General Hospital.

When South Park can a spoof of 24 and have it turn out better than the actual show, that's pretty sad.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info. Interesting, the only thing I could have seen him in is "Independence Day" and I don't think I'd remember him from that... Maybe he just reminds me of someone.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Brian was the red-headed/afro-ed neighbor who crushed on Claire Danes while Jordan Catalano got all her play.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit

That's exactly my point. In past seasons there has been a great balance between the soap opera and the action. This season it has been heavily leaning towards soap opera and not in a good way.

Action soap opera - Action = Afternoon time slot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks