What's new

24 Season Finale (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Ok,...what I said about the last 3 weeks...I was right!!! Like a wound top...it's springs forward..BIG TIME!!!!
What is it with vans in this series???
I REALLY like Palmer...I hope he comes back as head of CTU instead of President!!!! This guy has integrity like you wouldn't believe!
Joel...I can save you a BUNCHA hours...no surprises regards Nina....just yet!!!!! :eek:
This episode runs parallels..between Palmer and what he does in the ballrom and Jack's last scene....as well as other instances. Pretty interesting to see.
The music really works in this one!!!! Especially on the docks!
In the garage...like the O.K. Coral!!!!
Really intense moments..including one where you THOUGHT you knew what Jack would do...but does the opposite!!!!
Stay glued RIGHT to the very last frame..it's worth it!
BTW..Thank God for digital backups!!!!!
Enjoy!

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I cant wait for tonight. Its the first time in a while Ill see a finale which hasnt been spoiled for me in one way or another.

Capt

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
Here's an interesting look at a conversation with the producers about Nina's role as the mole. You'll see that even the producers haven't answered all of the questions.
This was printed today's (5-21) Orange County (California) Register:
http://www.ocregister.com/show/
Does '24' add up? The producers explain
They talk about the biggest twist of the thriller series, whose season finale airs tonight.
May 21, 2002
By STEPHEN LYNCH
The Orange County Register
Tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ...
The clock strikes midnight on "24" tonight, bringing an end to the longest day in agent Jack Bauer's life, and ending the first season of the Fox cult hit.
For 23 episodes (told in real time, give or take L.A. traffic), Bauer, played by Kiefer Sutherland, has struggled to save his wife and daughter from constant jeopardy and prevent the assassination of presidential candidate David Palmer. Turns out a Serbian war criminal, Victor Drazen (Dennis Hopper), holds a grudge against both Bauer and Palmer.
At roughly 10:59 p.m. (the end of the previous episode), the show's biggest twist was revealed. Nina (Sarah Clarke), Bauer's co-worker at the Counter-Terrorism Unit and former lover, is really a Serbian named Yelena, and she's been helping Drazen this entire time. Fans stared at the screen, slack-jawed or screaming. How is this possible, especially since Nina seemed like a good agent the whole time?
We asked the producers of "24" to explain themselves, and they graciously made their case for the plausibility of Nina/Yelena's secret identity. It almost looks like they planned it all along. Almost.
The audience was warned that Nina is dirty.
It happened so long ago, but in the first few hours of "24," Richard Walsh, another CTU agent, gave Bauer a stolen keycard and told him whoever's electronic signature was on it would be the dirty agent. The signature turns out to be ... Nina's. Bauer confronts her and she claims that she was framed - that she was with Bauer in Santa Barbara when the card was used. He believes her (and so did most of the audience), but obviously she was lying.
Bauer also sends CTU a severed thumb from a suspect that yields no ID. Speculation is "either this guy doesn't exist or else he has some friends in very high places." Actually, it's Nina, who erased the information, the producers say.
Gaines doesn't know about Nina/Yelena, and vice versa.
Nina works for the Drazens, and Ira Gaines, the man who kidnapped Bauer's wife and daughter in the first half of the series, was hired separately by the Drazens. So when Nina blows the cover of "Alan York" (the man sent to deceive Bauer's wife), she doesn't realize what she's doing. And Gaines has no reason to stop Bauer from shooting Nina (luckily, she was wearing a bullet-proof vest).
Which also explains Jamey.
Again, Nina doesn't know about the Gaines operation, which Jamey, another CTU agent, was helping. But Jamey's "suicide" starts to look suspicious, doesn't it? Perhaps Nina got creative with a ceramic mug.
Nina/Yelena sets up the wife and daughter again.
Nina takes the pair to the safe house and then just happens to leave before it's hit. It's pretty clear now that Nina tipped off the Serbians to the location of the safe house and, later, to the fact that Bauer's daughter was leaving the police station. But that doesn't really explain why Nina was so nervous at the hospital when she thought someone was there trying to kill the wife and daughter.
Alexis getting stabbed may seem suspicious, but ... .
Nina does precious little to help Alexis Drazen, Victor's son, who is set up by Bauer. To this, the producers say, "Telling the Drazens about Alexis does not further her objective, which is to ensure that Palmer is assassinated by the end of the day."
Hmm, maybe. But you'd think she'd mention it anyway. It hurts the Drazens (and their plan) when it turns out Alexis has been compromised.
Why doesn't Nina just kill Bauer's wife and daughter when she has the chance?
Again, the producers write, "Nina's objective is Palmer's assassination and not the deaths of Jack's family members." Also, then the show would have to be called "16."
But Nina helps Bauer all the time - to escape the cops, for instance.
"Nina knows that she is more powerful with Jack's confidence than without," is the answer. Fair enough. But it looks like it's not going to matter anymore tonight, as the Drazen plan is falling apart and Yelena will be forced to blow her cover.
Of course, none of this answers the big question: How the heck did a Serbian agent infiltrate CTU, sleep with Bauer and compromise an entire security system?
Unfortunately, this is the question the producers won't answer. That's part of Yelena's "back story," some of which may be revealed tonight in the final episode - but also may be part of "24's" second season, as the show was just renewed. Looks like these guys will never get any sleep.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
To add to above..and not give anything much away if at all...listen VERY closely to a phone call towards the end of this episode Nina makes when Teri walks in the room...and the question she asks the person on the other end!!!!!!!!

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Spoilers ahead, but shame on you if you are reading this thread early anyway! ;)
Not sure I appreciated the ending with Teri. But I loved how the other ends were tied up (Drazen, Lady MacPalmer). Nina can live on to escape early in season 2 and become the chief villainess! Can't wait! :)
Scooter, what question? One line was in German and not subtitled, but despite my ancestry, I am none the wiser. And what are you referring about the last frame (surely that was "12:00:00")?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
DAMN i cant believe they ended it that way. Not that im complaining since i thought it was a great shocking ending, but they left it open for more. Like who Nina was working for in Germany? I bet thats what Season 2 is going to be about. Everyone thought Jack would just walk out of there with his family all happy ending.

Capt

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
Whew. I really thought they were gonna cheapen the whole thing by Nina letting Teri live, but they didnt, and I'm happy with the decision they made, it will give season 2 a new...energy. To tell you the truth I'm not Teri's biggest fan - she so whiney, everytime she came on screen I cringed.

Its good Ninas around for next season, so they can get some leads on who the woman was she was talking to, though I cant imagine Walsh even letting Jack look at Nina, let alone talk to her.

All in all, a fine first season. And the buzz on the net seems to be that the second season should also be something to write home about. As long as they find something else to do with Kim - no more kidnappings - I'll probably be happy.

JQ

Greg Morse

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa. Definitely didn't expect that to happen to Teri. Great episode. Love how they managed to tie up nearly everything, but leave enough threads unresolved (such as who Nina really works for) to build suspense for the next season. For better or worse, it was an interesting ride while it lasted.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
I think they wrapped it up nicely. Saving both the daughter and the wife would have been too perfect imo... It also sets the tone with how they intend to move forward next season. I'm sure Palmer's presidential aspirations are over, but it will be interesting to see where he turns up next. Remember, we still have the whole wife/mafia thing going there as well.

Matt Krawecki

Auditioning
A great episode overall, topping off a fantastic 24 episodes of television.
I'd have to admit, when Teri was killed, one part of me was cheering as it puts an end to all her annoying moments in the past, but another part is in sorrow for Jack. I'm not really sure where I stand on that one.
I think one of the first things that should come in season 2 is Nina gets a nice long visit by the Crazy Asain Dude from Alias.
"Who do you work for?"
:)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
In the dialogue Nina was trying to be nice to Teri by telling her she'd be found, so why did she then aim where she did? As violent as it would have been, the appropriate dramatic end to that scene would have been aimed higher. I know it is awful to even describe this scene, but if Nina is going to be a villain, she has to justify in her own mind that she is a good person. And where she aimed was not a good person, not at all. Network censorship, I expect?

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
The best show of the season just had one of the better season finales in recent memory. Did I believe that Nina could have been the mole? Not really. Was Dennis Hopper's accent atrocious? Yup. Was this still the best show of the season? Hell yes.

Warning: Spoilers below!!

The last ten minutes were wonderfully handled, and I'm glad the producers weren't afraid to end on a sad note. Even though the last half of the season was lacking in logic, it still had a ton of adrenaline and emotions. You sympathize with Jack wholeheartedly. The flashbacks from hour one are amazingly effective. What really added to the mix was the silent clock at the end; throughout the show the sharp digital sounds heightened the tension, but at the end it was respectfully quiet.

Dennis Haybert (Palmer) and Kiefer Sutherland are spectacular in this finale, and I definitely hope their performances, along with the supporting players and producers are remembered at the Emmys.

Even though this wasn't the best episode, it still ranks up there with the episodes produced in the second quarter of the season. Hats off to FOX and all the producers behind 24 for providing one hell of a ride!

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Whoa!

I think the show people redeemed themselves with the finale. The thing that initially attracted me to 24 was the unconventional things that happened, and how the story didn't adhere to usual Hollywood conventions and cliches. It got a bit slow during the afternoon/evening, but the finale was definitely a great show.

And talk about grassy knoll theories. Nina's revelation that her employers are not the Drazens leaves lots of room for another great story next year - who are they, why are they working w/ the Drazens, what is their purpose, etc. Jack will be out for personal revenge, and CTU/USA will need to get to the bottom of the days events.

What was the look that Tony had at the end? Was he pissed? Was he disappointed that Nina blew her cover, leaving him to carry out the mission alone? Was he sad cause he was in love w/ Nina? That look leaves a lot open for next year too. I can't wait!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Germany. Hm. I wonder... I hope they do like Highlander and do most of next season in Europe. We've seen LA, they need a new location to keep fresh. Though I don't know how they'd get there is the flight is in real time (maybe arrive before the season starts?).

Chris Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it wouldn't have cheapened it for me if they would have let Teri live, but at the same time, a very bold and stark ending, I agree that it will give season 2 a renewed vigor. Of course, I'm still hoping she isn't really dead...

Was it me, or was there nary a character in this series that you could trust completely?

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
One of the best hours on television this season or in recent memory.
Some of this has been covered, but I like to summarize: :)
1. Why didn't Nina shoot Teri in the head? Out of wistful respect for her past with Jack? I don't think so. SHe had no problem killing innocent security guards on the way out the door.
2. What was Nina's motivation to be the mole? Is it as simple as being the scorned woman? I think it might be but my wife disagrees. She thinks Nina was a long-term plant, well before her affair with Jack.
3. As many times as Kim's cleavage was shown off, is it OK for me to look? Or is she really under 18 and that would just make me a perv? LOL!
4. I really did care about Teri enough to care about her death. It's a bold TV show that can follow that plot point to it's conclusion.
5. I agree with the poster that says we should spend next season in Germany. Even if they use Czechoslavakia as Germany. It's much cheaper to shoot there. It is FOX. :)
6. What will become of Palmer? Wouldn't it be nice for a man of such high integrity to become President? Is that the reason he won't become Presideint. ;)
7. Is Mrs. Palmer crazy enough to threaten his life in season two?
8. Whassup with the camera holding on Tony? Did he miss a cue due to bad acting and so we don't get the point of that freeze? Or was there something there, like his love for Nina?
9. What happened to the guy from 6 Feet Under?

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
PhilipG: What I meant about Nina's call was that she said she was going to Munich
and she was speaking German not Serbian
!!!

she apparently doesn't work for Drazen or CTU..but some German 3rd party

However once Teri enters the room...she goes to english.

As for up to the last frame...the last secs of the clock..silent...then black.

EDIT: DUH!!! I only had Phil's post when I typed this...guess a lot of my spolers ain't spoilers no mo'!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks