What's new

24: Season Eight (1 Viewer)

Joe_H

Screenwriter
One tiny detail I loved is how the initial "The following takes place between" screens included the followup "Events occur in real-time" which we rarely see outside of the premieres these days.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Can't believe Jack Tyson'd Pillar's ear, either. But I was underwhelmed for the mid-hour, but the opening half-hour, and the last half-hour were solid.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was surprised how far off the deep end President Taylor went before Jack's message to Kim and the pen finally brought her back. It was a great ending to the series.

I think we can assume that Logan's phone call was on the data card when it was taken from Chloe and he only left Jack's message to Kim when he gave it to the President.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
I was happy to see "24" end in typical fashion.

When the show debuted in 2001, it helped to transform the television landscape, and further blurred the lines between "TV quality" and "motion picture quality."

Jack Bauer has become the prototypical action hero the past decade. I can't imagine a world where Daniel Craig would have played James Bond without having Kiefer Sutherland's iconic performance as inspiration.

After a misfire with season 6, I found seasons 7 and 8 to be more in tune with the overall tone of the show. To be sure, they weren't perfect. But both seasons brought "24" back to the ridiculously watchable antics that made the show a success (and largely avoided lame attempts to delve into things like Jack's family life...)

Audiences have become increasingly fickle in recent years. It is difficult for any show to sustain much in the way of longevity. To be sure, there are shows like "NCIS" that are more "procedural" in nature (and relatively close-ended with each episode) that continue to percolate along, attracting more viewers as they go.

"24" will be debated for years to come. Critics tend to focus on the novel format of the show, and the overall writing throughout the "days" when gauging its success.

Truth be told, "24" wouldn't have survived as long as it did without Kiefer Sutherland. He created a disturbed and driven "boy scout" that ranks among the best action heroes in popular fiction. He did so in a way that made fans say, "yes, we trust this off-kilter man with the fate of the free world."

"24" wasn't an ensemble cast like a number of popular shows today -- at the show's core, it was all about Jack Bauer. With her introduction in season 3, Chloe O'Brian (played brilliantly by Mary Lynn Rajskub) evolved into a terrific "sidekick" for Bauer. She was the technical point person that shared Jack's zeal for truth, justice and the American way. And her disarming quirkiness played well with Jack's in your face "gun before diplomacy" approach.

I got a bit misty-eyed at the end of the finale on Monday. Not because it was particularly sad, but because it was the end of the show that did something different, and made me care about TV in 2001 -- a compelling, water cooler show that (in many ways) transcended what Hollywood action movies had/have become.

Jack Bauer was the sort of driven, laconic action hero that I'd grown up watching during the 1980s.

And yes, Jack will presumably live on in movies, but I'll miss the season-long evolution that takes place over the course of 24 episodes every season -- the good, the bad and the ridiculous. That is part of the charm of "24" -- the branching twists and turns that make you say, "how the hell did all that happen in one day?"

People forget that in 1998, critics (and certain fans) had become disenchanted with "Seinfeld" (many suggesting the show had lost its way). Yet, 12 years after it left the air, there hasn't been another comedy that has matched it in terms of "buzzworthiness" and cultural impact.

Time will be the ultimate judge of "24," but I have a feeling that years from now, we'll still be looking for an iconic figure with the same impact as Jack Bauer. I think "24" will be appreciated more over the course of the next few years as TV execs slink back into traditional "comfort zone" dramas/procedurals, reality offerings and comedies.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a testament to 24's continuing popularity that this thread is on its 22nd page and the show in its eighth (!) year. The show still manages to generate alot of talk after being on all these years.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jonny P

Time will be the ultimate judge of "24," but I have a feeling that years from now, we'll still be looking for an iconic figure with the same impact as Jack Bauer. I think "24" will be appreciated more over the course of the next few years as TV execs slink back into traditional "comfort zone" dramas/procedurals, reality offerings and comedies.

I can only speak for myself, but I find it hard to believe there will be another character as compelling as Jack Bauer on television anytime soon. I put him in the elite group of Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey and John Locke...those special "once in a lifetime" characters that make the shows they're in truly great.

By the way, very well written post, Jonny.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Originally Posted by Brent M

I can only speak for myself, but I find it hard to believe there will be another character as compelling as Jack Bauer on television anytime soon. I put him in the elite group of Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey and John Locke...those special "once in a lifetime" characters that make the shows they're in truly great.

John Locke? Really? I don't know if I'd even put him in the top 5 on that show.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Brent M

It has been awhile since I've posted on HTF, but always enjoy this particular forum!

I agree with you that Jack Bauer is in a elite group of characters (some lead characters, some supporting characters, but those special performances that enhance a particular show and rise above the material).

tyler payne

Second Unit
Real Name
tyler payne
Kudos from me as well, on the excellent post Jonny!!!

Like many others, I started to watch 24 because of the novelty of the premise. The idea of a day in the life of a federal agent, being chronicled in a real time format, was something that being called "new" or "fresh" falls underwhelming short of what this show was trying to accomplish.

While the format of the show was what may have brought in the audience, Jack Bauer was what kept them from leaving. As bad as the whole Terri - amnesia plot device was in season one, it was about that time I started thinking, "Jesus, can't this guy (Jack) catch a break?" The answer to that question came at the end of season one with the death of Terri, and the answer was a resounding NO! Jack can't ever catch a break because watching him balance his personal life, and his duty as a federal agent is what this show became, once the novelty of "real time" got old.

The beginning of season 2 is when I really started to relate to Jack. His wife was dead, his daughter estranged, and in no small part because of his work with the government, Jack had every reason to hang it up and quit government work. But Jack's desire for a family life is rivaled by something in him just as strong. His sense of duty, and his loyalty to his friends. One plea from President Palmer, and Jack is back to doing what he does best... Pissing off the bad guys. This sense of loyalty to his friends would be echoed again in season 5, and executed better when he finds out that the people who know he is alive are in danger.

The guns, the gadgets they played second fiddle to Jack's greatest asset, his willingness to get to the truth no matter the cost. Even if the cost was his life. It was that kind of temperament that made him, not only a great agent and friend, but a never ending thorn in the side of whatever enemies he might encounter.

Like any show, 24 had its ups and downs. Often times I thought they did to much to continue story lines and relationships of popular cast members, and the narrative suffered. 24 had already proved that it was willing to kill off important characters, and move on with new ones. Sorry Kim, it might have been better for the show if that mountain lion had got to you.

Regardless of the the decisions that gave 24 its low moments, one thing stayed constant. Jack was still the baddest bad ass on the block, and woe to those who thought they could get the better of him.

24 was one of the few shows I have watched from beginning to end, as as sad as I am to see it go, it was nice to see it go out on a relatively high note.

This post was typed in real time...

tyler

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
While I enjoyed the series finale (and have been an ardent fan since day 1), count me as one that wished the whole movie thing wasn't going to happen.

In the eight years of "24" two inevitable truths seem to pop up again and again:

1) The only way to stop Jack is to give him what he wants.

2) The only way Jack's family will be safe is if Jack is dead.

One might interpret those outcomes as

1) Jack wins.

2) Jack loses.

The threat of outcome (2) has been talked about almost since the second season, and each season seemed to introduce a new character (or characters) that could conceivably "succeed" Jack and take the reins of the show. Alas, each season ended with outcome (1) and what do you know, Jack lives to fight another day.

I've come to realize, that outcome (2) is, in some respects, the ultimate "win" for Jack. He's always wanted to protect his family, but has never been able to completely eliminate the threat. I feel the writers had a great opportunity to do what has become a hallmark of the series - HOLD NOTHING BACK. Instead, with the promise of a movie spin-off, the writer's hands were tied. The suspense of (2) is lost and we all know that Jack's going to make it because of the pending movie.

I love 24. I would have loved to see the series (and Jack) end on a high note. I appreciated the way this season was approached (despite the naysayers who were decrying the show early in the season for not being exciting enough). For the first time in a long time, the show managed to generate a constantly building crescendo that came to fruition exactly at the closing minutes of the 24 hours.

I would have much preferred that 24 ended in a way that honored most what made the show special. Instead, we'll have the movie which by necessity will abandon a good chunk of what's unique about the 24 franchise. Sure, they'll be able to swear and show more blood in an R-rated movie, but inevitably, they'll want to leave the door open (again) because they signed Kiefer to a 3-picture deal...

Enough already, just let Jack die and be done with it. Had they done so to close season 8, 24 would have had an indelible legacy as a gutsy show that did exactly what folks didn't think they'd do. Instead, it's just got another chance to sully its image with a sub-par outing that will leave a sour taste in people's mouths. I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed...

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ScottH

John Locke? Really? I don't know if I'd even put him in the top 5 on that show.

Not to get too far off topic in the 24 discussion, but for me personally Locke was BY FAR the most compelling character on LOST. I'm shocked he's not even in your top 5 because I certainly can't think of 5 other people on the show who were more interesting than him.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. Personally, in a selfish way I'm glad Jack didn't die at the end of the show because frankly I don't want to be done watching his character just yet. Moving the 24 franchise from TV to movies is a risky venture, but I think the writers and producers have proved over 8 seasons of the show that they're insanely creative and I'm 100% confident they can come up with a great big screen adventure for Jack Bauer. Sure, if the movie ends up sucking it will look like a horrible idea, but I honestly believe they'll pull it off and make it every bit as enjoyable as the show. My fingers are crossed too.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
There are those who thought the Season 7 ending for "Magnum P.I. " (with Magnum stuck in a coma, walking off into the clouds) was the better ending for the series. Network execs (due to a ratings revival, and fan requests) decided to renew the show for a truncated Season 8.

"The Shield" was a show where I felt it would be fitting for Vic Mackey to eventually meet a tragic end (potentially at the hands of Shane Vendrell).

Instead, the show ended...

Instead, the show ended with Mackey stuck in a desk job (and it appeared he became a vigilante who combed crime infested streets at night). Frankly, I thought that was entirely the wrong ending for that particular show.

The question is whether or not "24" -- a show that featured Jack Bauer getting pulled back from death's grip numerous times -- should have had Jack finally succumbing in the closing moments of the show.

That point will be debated for years to come.

I'm not so sure. The character came to be something akin to a comic book superhero. No matter how dire the situation...no matter how many laws were broken...no matter how serious the gunshot wound...no matter how deadly the virus...Jack Bauer found a way to defy the odds.

Would it have stayed true to the entire tome to have Jack die? I'm not sure it would have.

I thought they might have Jack go a step too far, and we'd see him take out Pres. Logan and/or Suvarov. I imagined in the closing moments we might see Jack being hauled off by officials, headed towards death row.

I figured the movie might be a bit "Rambo-esque," with the government removing the shackles from Jack, so he could head out to save the world.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Jonny P
Would it have stayed true to the entire tome to have Jack die? I'm not sure it would have.

A week ago, I would have disagreed with that but I think death would be a relief for Jack. The fact that he lived just means that he'll continue to suffer more punishment while he tries to help or save people and I think that's much more fitting with the series than having him 'escape' by getting to die.

Also, you probably want to spoilerize your comments about The Shield finale. I saw it when it aired (and still think it's the best finale ever made) but some people might not want to read about the ending to that show in a 24 thread.

Jonny P

Supporting Actor
Duly noted, Travis. It has been "spoilerized."

There is no doubt that death would have been a relief for Jack Bauer, but part of his "lot in life" is that he gets no reprieve. Even when he saves the world, there is little in the way of personal satisfaction for him, and his own inner demons keep haunting him.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"The Shield" was a show where I felt it would be fitting for Vic Mackey to eventually meet a tragic end (potentially at the hands of Shane Vendrell).

Instead, the show ended with Mackey stuck in a desk job (and it appeared he became a vigilante who combed crime infested streets at night).

Frankly, I thought that was entirely the wrong ending for that particular show.

The question is whether or not "24" -- a show that featured Jack Bauer getting pulled back from death's grip numerous times -- should have had Jack finally succumbing in the closing moments of the show.

I feel the exact opposite way about the ending to "The Shield"

Vic dying would have been getting off easy. Instead he's tricked into selling out the one person who was still loyal to him, loses his family and is placed in his own personal hell, a tedious desk job.

As for Jack, I don't want to see him die and I think killing him off would be.....disrespectable to the character. I was actually thinking that if movies weren't coming what happened to Chase at the end of Season 3 would not have been that bad a way to end things for Jack (had they not already done it and if the patcular story would allow.) He would live, but due to the catastrophic injury, he could not do field work anymore.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
A fitting end to a season that steadily improved over the course of the season and went out on a high note. I for one think a movie could be great and being freed from the constraints of (a) having it in real time (b) have to do 24 hours of show will be a good thing. Will it just be like any other action movie ? No because they have one thing the others don't - Bauer himself!!!

3. Michelle - I was so pissed off when they killed her in Season 5 even more so than Palmer.

2. First Nina/Jack confrontation from Season 2

1. Chappelle's death in Season 3 - that is still the most gripping sceneI have watched

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks