What's new

24 Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
A word of caution to any buyers who haven't seen this yet like me!

Like the Season 2 box, the Season 3 one is full of spoilers from the booklet to the menus. So far I've managed to avoid them by using the Play All function on each disc and not reading any of the box. I would also advise not looking at any extras until you finish the series.

Picture and sound are on a par with Season 2. And its just as addictive as the previous seasons so far.... :)

Now just one more episode.....

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine yesterday, I opened it with my eyes shut and placed them all in blank cases. I kept my eyes shut and the sound mute until the menu stops then I "play all". Haven't seen anything spoiler wise yet. Thank God for play all.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I did'nt even know this was released yet. Very little in the way of Advertisement on this set. I bought the first two seasons but I'm passing on the third. It was an OK season nothing more. I definately got better after they would up the awful beggining with the ..... But it seemed alot of it dragged on forever before it got rolling. Maybe if I can pick it up for around $20 later I will just to be a completist.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
So far Im only up to episode 9 and I have to say it is much better than Season 2, which I liked BTW. They seem to have planned this out much better as well. And Kim's role in this series so far has been much better handled.

I had a look at the episode descriptions in the booklet for the first 8 episodes after I watched them, and |I can't emphasise enough how much they would spoil the show. I dont understand why Fox does this, especially given the nature of the show.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

It doesn't come out in the US until sometime in December, I believe, as a prelude to the 4th season, which begins broadcasting in January 2005.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I almost slapped myself thinking it was released in America and I seemed to miss it. I really do not like it that they spoiled via the cover. How so?

Ryan

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well I think the cover artwork is different from the R2 anyway but the R2 box includes pictures of various scenes from the series, including some returning characters, and the menu screen for each episode all have a shot from the episode which is usually spoiling what is going to happen.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
The official region 2 set boxes look so much like bootlegs for some reason.

Anyways, I will be purchasing the set from AmazonUK. I dont really want to wait until Dec. for the US release. I could be dead by then.

Thanks for the heads up of the release.

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding the spoilers in the booklet, although I don't own this set, I can't really see how they can be avoided. Surely the point of the booklet is a list of all the episodes with a brief synopsis of each. With most weekly serials this is fine as they are episodic in nature. They have a set up that gets resolved at the end, so that it can all start again next week (Simpsons often make jokes at this convention). 24 just doesn't work this way though, as there is no conclusion at the end of the episode, rather a cliff hanger to set up the next episode.

As such the booklet helps someone who's viewed the show before find a particular episode. New viewers should just pretend it isn't there. I've done this on all of Buffy, Angel, alias and season 1 of 24.

Spoilers on the menus though, that's just stupid!

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I received my Region 2 set yesterday. The transfers look quite good and my LG 7832 is doing the pal to ntsc conversion. I must warn you that the voices are slightly sped up. This doesn't affect male voices as much as the females. Michelle sounds like Minnie Mouse most of the time. If anyone has any further questions then please feel free to ask. I can post pics of the box if anyone wants too.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
also advise not listening to any of the commentaries for the episodes until after you have seen the whole series. Some of the comments do spoil future episodes.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the first episode of the 3rd season today and I think it's the best season opener so far. Although it was quite slow, I liked the darker tone the series and especially Jack had gotten. Looks intriguing, let's hope it stays that way.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Well I've now finished the box set. After a fantastic start, the middle part of the series (8pm - 4am) felt like they were running out of ideas. What was the point of the baby story ??? In fact, one of the things I was most looking forward to was the return of Nina Myers
. You just knew it was coming, but in the end it was a bit of a letdown and I was glad they decided that this arc had run its course.

Things really started to pick up around 4am and it never let up until the end of the season. I was particularly impressed with how they handled Chappelle's death
and that particular hour was really great. Unfortunately the main menu for this disc does spoil this somewhat as it shows Chappelle with a gun to his head
. Ok it out of context but once you get to the episode, you know whats coming to a certain extent.

What struck me most though was how the series itself was very conscious of trying to turn viewer's expectations on their heads, especially with Kim's role in the latter half of the series. It also felt like they knew a lot of characters had run their course and a fresh start next season would be a better option. I'm glad they were a little more creative with getting rid of some character's without just killing them off.

Still not as good as Season 1, but on a par with Season 2. Next season should certainly be different....

Jim Harvey

Second Unit

I actually liked her being back in the show, even if how they got her back was a bit contrived. You have to love how they let her leave the show, though. One of the best moments in the show's history was how that storyline finished.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

Overall I really like the style of the artwork but Kiefer is all but unrecognizable in that pic.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Its funny, but that picture is the exact one I theorized to myself that they would use for the box art, but I wish they used a different color scheme this season, like a brownish or gold tint to it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks