What's new

24: Season 2 - Hour 5 - 11/26/02 (1 Viewer)

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Couldn't say it better Patrick. Just watched hour 5. This is getting more and more interesting.
Not a lot of (physical) action in this episode and l it was still the best of this season in my opinion. I feared they would fall into a "one big action scene" every week trap, but as this one shows, they didn't. Plenty of great stuff and this time the timeframe was believable. Jack does not leave CTU for the whole episode once he gets there (in minute ten, which will probably annoy some people with LA knowledge). The wedding subplot is also getting more and more interesting now with Tony involved. And Buffy Fans should look out for the new face in President Palmer's staff. Kim is again not running in this episode (but she is walking, which may annoy even more people ;)). And Nina just rocks, her glimpse into the security camera was creepy.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
SPOILERS BELOW!

I caught the early show of it in Newfoundland...and this just keeps getting better and better! The stakes just keep on rising with each hour.

What's really great on the drama is a recurring pattern of characters being forced to make tough decisions with potential huge consequences. Going back to last week, Mason was forced to order the paramedics to pump that girl (Computer whiz, forget her name) with everything possible to awaken her so he could get the codes to unlock the information they had on the nuclear bomb. They got the codes from her, but she quickly died as a result. Tough call right there. Later on came the president's decision to trade insider intelligence data with that ambassador. Who knows what will now come of that decision? Kim too had to decide between lying to the police and leaving Megan to more abuse, and facing the cops and potentially being arrested and trapped in L.A. with a nuclear bomb pending.

With regards to Nina Myers, (Love her entrance. It was so poignant seeing her look around at all her former comrades she betrayed.) I suddenly began wondering, is it possible she's orchestrating this entire thing? The nuclear bomb and such, as a plot to get herself out of prison? Consider this thought. Before all that crap goes down on the first 24, she hires people with the instructions of should she ever be arrested, they carry out plans to bring a nuclear threat to Los Angeles. She then deals with the president to spill all of her information on it in exchange for her release from prison. She helps stop the bomb, is then released, and then regroups, and finishes her 18 month old plans to kill Jack Bauer, his daughter, and President Jack Palmer. We know how smart she is from last season. Seem plausible enough? (I know, it's a stupid question to ask considering this show.)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The show's second act has begun and it is awesome!!!

Nina probably didn't feel shamed by walking into CTU - seeing the damage probably reinforced her belief that she's good at her job.

About annoying Kim, I even like the potential that Kim's subplot might develop into a "Miracle Mile" type scenario. But for budget reasons I expect it won't get _that_ out of hand!

I'm confused though, why did Tony go to see that guy? What intel did they have on him?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
The PI probably contacted CTU about his connections with a known terrorist who just happens to be connected to the nuke

capt

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My Power went out and messed up my recording is this show repeated at all anymore?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
This is getting more and more lame.
OK in fairness most is ok and the Nina story line has great potential. I just want Kim to get hit by a bus or something. Dumnass Marie as well. Of course Kim is going to continue to do all the wrong things. I won't even try to start analyzing all her stupid antics.
Now of course Marie (dumb younger sister getting married) cares more that her sister had her suspicious future hubby investigated rather than the fact that some G-Men actually showed enough interest to show up. And dear ole Dad. What's he got going on? Guess he is some sort of baddie cause all he cares about is getting him married to his daughter. Doesn't seem to care at all that there is a possibility that his future son-in-law might be a terrorist. So obviously something else is in the works.
Seriously the show is good but stupid characters are going to ruin it for some people.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was mentally screaming at the TV "No, don't, no, Jack!" when he was on the phone with Kim, and Jack spilled the beans. Everyone knows that Kim is following the "oh, stupid me becomes yet entangled in another stupid subplot where I fail to follow dad's instructions, and decide that I need to also save a little girl that I just recently met" script. Plus calling her boyfriend and getting him involved in her stupid subplot just makes me want to start fast-forwarding through her scenes (I time-shift 24 on tape).

The stakes are upped with Nina's re-introduction. Jack is on a mission with 2 different levels now. One is to find and disarm the mythical bomb (we don't really know if it's real or not), and the other is to make sure Nina doesn't get away with it.

I'm not sure how I like Palmer just caving in and capitulating to all these demands (the pardon, and the intell).

I found it funny how Stanton (Rayburn's replacement) shows up just after that actor was summarily exited from Buffy in the 8 p.m. timeslot.

Marie and Kate's dad is definitely dirty. Notice how he interrupted Marie's rant before the agent guarding the door just in the nick of time (for the dad).

So the other country has our intell on them, but we get nothing in return. That other country must have all our intell transmitted before that copter went down.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BTW, I hope people realize that Sarah Clarke and Xander Berkeley (Nina and Mason) were married this year after meeting each other while filming the 1st season of 24.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, like for my wife. Two quotes: "Last season was pretty good. This season is just stupid."
It has become more stupid, I agree. But I've found that by not watching the preview for the next week, it can still be entertaining.

Mike-M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm unfortunately disappointed in this episode and the season thus far. The only episode that stands out in my mind as maybe close to being on par with the first 12 hours of season 1 is the fourth episode of this season.

I just feel that something is missing here. I was a huge fan of the show last season and I'll definitely keep watching this season. I like the characters--namely Jack and Palmer--too much stop watching. But I feel that the show has taken a step back from brilliance.

I liked last season how every episode (at least the first half of the show) seemed to be very intense and drama filled. We didn't need a thousand plot points, we didn't need characters acting irrationally, we didn't need people having plutonium in their body to change their course of action over the day, etc. I feel like people are just killing time.

Everything that happened last season seemed like it COULD happen and that it wasn't forced by the producers. Does anyone almost feel like the people behind the show are almost purposefully holding back this season to further the storyline and fufuill all 24 episodes? I NEVER had this feeling before. But come on. You have a good 42 minutes minus commercials. We can have more than Jack looking around and typing on a computer regarding his storyline. The audience deserves more. It's hard to wait for a show like this to come on weekly. But to hold out on us is hard to take and seems like a cop out.

I just don't like how the show is cruising on auto pilot until it can justify itself with "The big moment" which usually comes within the last five minutes followed by the ticking clock to end the episode. Instead of having Jack talk to Nina, we are again held back and almost unfortunately suckered into tuning in next week.

It comes off as I hate the show and I don't. I'm just disappointed. I liked how last season there seemed to be no cheapness to it. Split screens were utilized well, not too many plot points that felt like time wasters, and the episodes seemed to hold nothing back. It felt, at least to me, that last season's first half was always a moving, flowing storyline that got you from point A to B with a clear explanantion (through action or dialogue) and it set you up to head to point C. In this season, I feel like each episode wants to get from point A to point B, but is either holding itself back for one reason or another or doesn't quite know how to get to point B as effectively as it used to.

To me, there's an intensity and an cleverness missing from the characters and the show as a whole. If you want an example, look at how Jack in season 1 foiled the plot to kill Palmer at around 8 AM compared to when there was a plot to bomb CTU in season 2.

Just my opinions. Other thoughts?

Jay W

Supporting Actor
Not a bad episode, but ruined with some silly antics as usual. In addition to Kim, the part where Mason 'accidentally' left his medication there for Jack seemed a little too forced. The Nina sub-plot certainly has potential, hope she has a larger role to play in the day's happenings. Marie & Kate's dad is certainly in on it, today's episode made that clear. Despite the flaws, it's still the most entertaining thing on TV (at least for me).

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Myself, I love the show. Hate Kim with a passion. Hate the "stupid" sister. But when I find myself yelling at the TV I know I'm enjoying a series. And I LOVED the scene from next week! GO JACK!

Colin-H

Second Unit
I just can't believe Jack told his daughter why she needs to get out of LA... I guess if it took that to convince her, it needed to be done. But now the boyfriend knows, of course, soon his friends will know... By hour 7, Kevin Bacon knows and Palmer's much-feared rumor mill is alive and kickin'. It's just a bit amusing that Jack Bauer's the one who pulled the chain. He's an counterintelligence genius, for heaven's sake... Doesn't he know that teenage girls never take home the Oscar in keeping secrets? I guess it's all about the dad/government agent dichotomy. He's betrayed the president's and the rest of his colleagues' trust to ensure his daughter's safety—or so he thinks.

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
Colin, Jack already lost his wife not long ago. Thinking about loosing his daughter too, I have no doubt that he would tell her if it is the only way to get her out safe.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I'm with Dominik, I don't care who you are...if there's a chance of a Nuclear Detonation in a city where you daughter lives, you WILL tell her! I couldn't have kept it from my family if I were in the same place.

However, Kim bringing the boyfriend in to help *ACTUALLY* kidnap Megan this time...that is beyond stupidity but there has to be something else going on in the script to keep Jack on his toes. If he just had one thing to do, that would be boring now wouldn't it?

Dominik Droscher

Supporting Actor
The subplots are needed, and apart from Kim's I like them all so far. Would be a little boring to see Jack driving around all the time (even if they cheat). I just hope that Kim's subplot will continue to stay around the kidnapping and she won't get into the hands of the terrorists. Although you never know with her. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks