What's new

24: Season 2 - Hour 1 - 10/29/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I'm sort of disturbed that Jack played judge/jury/executioner. Doesn't this make his a murderer. I really hope Jack only hurt the witness, not killed him in cold blood.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'm sort of disturbed that Jack played judge/jury/executioner.
Well, yeah - that's the point. All the posters and ads I've seen have said "Sometimes the people we count on to keep us safe are the most dangerous of all". They're establishing a theme here - Jack's ruthlessness paralleling Kate's paranoia about her sister's fiancé paralleling the abusive father Kim's dealing with paralleling the National Security Advisor trying to control President Palmer. These are all people in positions where trust is essential, but who may wind up being hugely dangerous themselves.

Incredibly brave choice to go this direction - not many TV shows would give us a protagonist we're actually afraid of.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Seriously now, does anybody know if and where/when they will replay this episode? Please tell me they will! Please!

Ralph Summa

Supporting Actor

Jack has no time to buy! I keep thinking in the same manner then I realize that all this happens in a day! I was also wondering why they would waste so much time creating a fake dossier for Jack when all this would be over in 24 hrs.

The silver platter theory seems to make a ton of sense. What better way to instill a sense of trust in Wald than by bringing him the head of the only person who could make a case against him.

I think sleazy Dad has to have some bigger part in all this.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, just like last year, F/X will rerun the episodes on the Monday after Fox showed them. This first episode will be shown on F/X next monday att 11 PM e/p.

If you don't have F/X, there's an incredibly detailed episode summary on Fox's 24 website.

/Mike

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
I love my DirecTivo. :)
I must say that the First long Ford commercial actually worked on me, though. I want a Ford truck more than ever. :D

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
Thomas, just like last year, F/X will rerun the episodes on the Monday after Fox showed them. This first episode will be shown on F/X next monday att 11 PM e/p.
I think I love you.

NOt like that!
Seriously though, I do get FX so I'll be there on Mon at 10.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
:emoji_thumbsup: to this terrific premier. Within the first minute I was hooked. Just like everyone else, Jack popping that guy caught me off guard... you gotta think there will be some repercussions with that.
That long Ford commercial made me want to go out and buy a BMW :)
Brian

Thomas D

Stunt Coordinator
So if Jack wants out of CTU, why does he still live so close to CTU?
Don't you remember from the first season of 24? Everything in LA is within a fifteen minute drive of everything else.

About the female non-CTU cast -- someone back on page 2 of this thread was right. Too Many Blondes With Similar Hairstyles. How many are there? Four? Kim, Obsessive/Compulsive Woman, Bride-to-Be, and Sister-in-Law-to-be that sort of looks like Kelly Rutherford. If I could get Fox in clearly, it probably wouldn't be such a problem, but the broadcast signal from that station...

I wish DirecTV did local channels in my area.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I'm sort of disturbed that Jack played judge/jury/executioner. Doesn't this make his a murderer. I really hope Jack only hurt the witness, not killed him in cold blood.
Well, Patrick, I was surprised that the writers did not pin world hunger on the guy Jack popped. It was pretty much everything else including pedophilia—so much so that I wondered if he actually had any time left to have found out enough information to be a witness. Certainly if the States whole case were resting on this guy, without other, supporting information, he would have been eaten alive on the stand by a junior lawyer.

Regardless, I thought that build up (or tear down) of his character was designed to allow us to not condemn Jack when he killed him. Of course Jack killed a colleague in the first series—but not really, so I suppose that we just have to wait and see.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Lew, I agree that the victim was obviously portrayed in a way that the audience wouldn't feel too bad when Jack killed him - but I also think that for Jack to kill him in the first place, and to at least make it somewhat plausible to the audience, they had to make the character a real creep.

/Mike

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
DAMN! 24 is back!

My take:

Jack's stepping "over the line" was a calculated action, IMHO. He's going through scenarios in his head - you could tell. Yes, I believe that the character, Jack, was seriously and irreparably harmed last year when he lost his wife due in no small part to his choice of occupation. However, consider this:

1. The witness was a real bad guy and was going to get off scott free (in fact, he would have been supported by us, the people).
2. Taking the action he took is probably a way to prove his worth to the contact who is out on bail awaiting trial.
3. Jack figures that things are so seriously screwed that the guy awaiting trial will probably never make it to the courtroom following the upcoming day's events.

All bets are off, people. If a nuclear weapon were to be detonated in L.A., millions could be killed (as indicated in the president's briefing). Jack's actions - and those in the very beginning of the episode - are necessary evils to stopping that from happening.

Speaking of the beginning, I was so surprised that the writers decided to set the tone for the show in that way. Clearly there was some serious torturing going on - to the point that I was cringing. When the guy went into the other room and reported what the prisoner said, and a man picked up the phone and said, "Get me the NSA," I nearly shit a brick! Wow...

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Like I said, do not think that this will be the last person Jack kills for questionable reasons...If he does not kill indescriminatly milions WILL die.

As far as judge/jury/executioner i totally disagree...if there was a nuclear bomb set to go off and the only way to stop it was to kill innocent people that is what needs to be done

draw a parallel to real terrorist examples...if you had the chance, would you shoot down the Sept.11th planes with all those innocent civilians on them? No need to answer I know it will be 100% yes response.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
but I also think that for Jack to kill him in the first place, and to at least make it somewhat plausible to the audience, they had to make the character a real creep.
For sure, Mike. But what would have made for a real moral dilemma would be for the key witness to be a paragon of virtue. It would still be the same issue: kill the guy to save millions, but now Jack has to be a murderer qua murderer, as opposed to acting in the capacity of an executioner.

Of course, this would mean that millions would turn off their sets on the spot, so I know it to be unrealistic.

Paul_Medenwaldt

Supporting Actor
I thought i would give 24 season 2 a chance and I loved it.

Last year, i lost interest in the show after about 4 episodes. I guess i should of watched all the episodes, but just watching those few shows, I really didn't like the angle of involving Jack's family. But from the way the season turned out it looked like it was then a pivotal part of the show.

I agree with the too many blondes. All the same hair length and styling. I really had to think a few times and wonder if this was the same blonde from a few minutes ago or was it a new blonde. Lets get some hair dying going here.

I'm really looking forward to watching all the episodes this season, thanks to my Dish Network PVR.

Great first episode

Paul

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
one other note - did anyone else notice that in one of the scenes in CTU there was a brief glimpse of an Emmy sitting on a shelf over one of the desks down on the main floor? I swear I saw it.. Did 24 win any Emmys for last season?

Jeffrey_Scotts

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I couldn't disagree more with your statment. First it's exactly on target for what his job is and was called in for. Second, he said something to effect of "you never want to get your hands dirty". This type of agency does things that regular law enforcement are not supposed to do. Just as in real life, such agencies exist that are not above torture, murder, assassination, etc. to get what they want.

Simply put, Jack needed a cover to replace one of the known contacts of the key terrorist. He killed him (but did kindly verify he was that person by asking his name) to assume his identity which was shown in the preview next week.

================================================== ======

All in all, it was a good opening to the start of another season. I liked how they handled Jack, but still hate Kim's character. She is just as stupid as ever and must always be in some kind of trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks