24 Season 2 DVD warning for new viewers

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Simon Massey, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer

Simon Massey
    I have managed to watch 24 Season 2 on DVD for the first time, (absolutely fantastic and much better thought out than the first season) and for any new viewers who have not watched this series, a word of caution if you dont want to be spoiled :

1. Don't watch any of the extras before you get to the end of the set. The excellent 96 minute documentary covers the making of the final 2 episodes of the season is extremely spoiler heavy (it is also very interesting to watch by the way, and not like your typical EPK featurette.)

2. Don't read any of the booklet included. Each of the episodes has a little sypnosis for what is happening in that episode, and even the title of some of the other extras gives away some of the plot.

3. The menus. There is an initial menu when you select the episode you want to watch, and then it moves to another menu for the selected episode. Problem is that the menus for the individual episode all contain a screenshot from the episode, and many of these do give away a plot point in the relevant episode. Best to select the PLAY ALL option on the first menu.

4. BTW, many of the episodes contain deleted scenes and alternate takes which can be branched into the episode (similar to the X MEN DVD so there is a pause between the scenes). I tried watching one episode with these included but it really slows down the episode (you can tell that most of these scenes have been altered to keep up the pace of the episode).

Fantastic DVD set though, and they made much more of an effort with this set than Season 1. No Season 3 preview though.

2. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Have the deleted scenes been included seperately? I'd like to watch the episodes as the originated, but have an interest in seeing the deleted scenes as well.

3. Simon Massey

Simon Massey
    Yes the deleted scenes are included separately. There is a disc for all the Special Features, and they have them on this with optional commentary.

there are individual episodes with cast commentaries, but I have only managed to listen to one so far (with Carlos Bernard, Sarah Wynter and Michelle Forbes).

Obviously the set is 16:9 anamorphic, and the deleted scenes are the same (at least they are when branched into the episodes)

4. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Simon--

Thanks for the tips. I did manage to catch season 2 as it was broadcasted, so I'm immune to those spoilers. [​IMG] They did a similar thing with the Season 1 packaging--the booklet gives a little synopsis of each episode.

Anwyay, I'm guessing the sound is Prologic again, and not 5.1? How cool would it be to get a 5.1 remix of this series...

5. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is the ONE DVD I am looking forward to owning.

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

7. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Boy, Ron, considering you didn't watch this when it was on TV, you are in for a treat!!

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's going to be great fun going through it again, even though I know what's going to happen

The torture of waiting for the season premiere, garrrrrr

9. Duncan_N

Duncan_N Stunt Coordinator

The 5.1 audio is great to have.

The season 2 set really is fantastic. I watched the final 7 episodes back to back last night - on the edge of my seat for over 5 hours [​IMG] .

Wonderful packaging and disc art and a very sexy limited edition numbered sturdy box containing both S1 and S2.

There are 6 commentaries (one on each disc)

1000 - 1100hrs - featuring Sarah Wynter
    1300 - 1400hrs
    1700 - 1800hrs
    2200 - 2300hrs - featuring Xander Berkley
    0300 - 0400hrs - with Kiefer Sutherland
    0400 - 0500hrs - featuring Dennis Haysbert

Have to double the warning given above though about the fantastic documentary about the season finale - it's spoiler city!!
    Great to see Kiefer accidently elbow a thug in the face during an out-take from the final fist fight - big thug looks like he is about to start crying. [​IMG]

10. Simon Massey

Simon Massey
    Also nice to see some of the frustration of the director/producer when some of the shots dont go right. I prefer these kind of documentaries when they don't edit out all the difficult things that happen on set.

It was also clever to see how they tried to keep the final scenes of the last episode a secret, and how they dealt with this on set with all those potential extras ready to leak it to the internet. Also one of the producers does answer the main question that is left hanging at the end of the last episode (so potential spoiler for Season 3 [​IMG] )

I havent found any hidden extras as yet, and I don't think there are any really.

11. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

This may seem like a dumb question, but why would this be released earlier and with better sound on Region 2 release?

12. Simon Massey

Simon Massey
    the specs I have seen say the US Region 1 set is DD5.1 as well.

Fox have been releasing a few DVDs here in the UK before the US (Daredevil was another) I have no idea why.

13. Simon Massey

Simon Massey

14. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Boy do I wish they'd re-release the season 1 set redone with this kind of care.

15. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

16. Brent M

Brent M Producer

So, is R1 DD 5.1 or not? Does anyone know for sure?

17. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

If I remember right, 24 season 1 was released earlier in the UK/R2 last year to put it on sale the day after the series finale aired there. I think the same is roughly true this year as well, but I'm sure someone there will correct me if that is wrong.

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

R1 is DD 5.1. They're the same set, except I believe R2 once again has better cover art

19. Brent M

Brent M Producer

I'm glad to hear it's DD 5.1 this year. I can't wait for this set. Best show on TV!

20. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor