24: Season 2--anybody else bail?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lew Crippen, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I thought about commenting in the current thread, but I don’t really want to upset fans. I stayed with this for a while, but I really thought that the writers were struggling to keep everything afloat. I’ve not watched an episode since it started back up and just realized that I was relieved to free up the hour.

Anybody else feel this way?

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Nope, not me. I felt that way last year though, I gave up on the show about 6 or so episodes in, and only watched sporadically after that. Didn't even care enough to watch the ending.

This season is much better IMO. The only exception is the storyline with Kim, everything else is great, IMO.

3. David Egan

David Egan Stunt Coordinator

"24" isn't very logical and it isn't that deep but it is a lot of fun. I'm glued.

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

My wife used to be just as addicted to the show as I was. But she's pretty sensitive to violence and walked out after that torture scene 2 weeks ago. She just can't take it anymore.
    But I'm still hooked. [​IMG]

5. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

6. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I watched the first 3 episodes of season 1, and it didn't grab me for some reason. Not too much interest.

When the DVD set came around, I picked it up thinking I'd enjoy it a bit.

I was hooked after episode 4. I finished the series in about 3 days.

Season 2 has been good, but not nearly as many twists. Maybe it's because I have to wait a week to watch each. I am up to episode 8 I think now, but it's just not as gripping as the first for some reason.

7. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

So far I like S2 better. I quit on S1 but don't forsee that this time around. Kim really is stupid though...

8. Will_B

Will_B Producer

24 is reminding me of Dr Who in how much it relies on cliffhangers, but what the hell, I love it. The show may be rather more far fetched this season than last, but I still enjoy it.

I watched the first few episodes of Buffy Season 3 dvd tonight and was surprised by how dull it seemed _in comparison_ to 24.

9. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

I haven't been captivated by a series since season 1 of Twin Peaks. It's kind of nice to actually look forward to something on regular TV again.

10. Robert Ringwald

Will, the first 3 or so of Buffy season 3 wrap up most of season 2's cliffhangers, and the story really starts to pick up around episode 5 involving a long run of purely perfect episodes...

Band Candy
    Revelations
    Lover's Walk
    The Wish
    Amends
    Gingerbread
    Helpless
    The Zeppo
    the list continues until the end of the season.

11. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Supporting Actor

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The main difference between shows like 24 and Buffy is the plot-driven component vs. the character development component. Plus Buffy had the freedom to use its fantastical premise as a metaphor of high school life (in the 1st 3 seasons) while crafting characters you care about over season long arcs and series arcs, while 24 has to stay relatively realistic (time dilation/expansion notwithstanding, i.e. getting around in L.A. traffic? Hah!) and be propelled by mainly plot-driven moments for that manic weekly cliffhanger appeal and the "Holy Shit!" moments that the producers are after on a weekly basis. I treat 24 as my weekly dramatic adrenaline rush.

13. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I'm still in there but I agree last year was better. But the inherent problem with this series is that people do alot of stupid stuff to stretch out the show. The biggest case in point is any scenes with Kim, they really need to drop her from the show. She gives good bounce factor but setting a fire in the back of the police truck, what a bunch of rubes. Also How stupid is the prez to let his Wife walk back in after what she pulled.

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I really hope if there's a season 3 that Kim is left out of it. OK, Jack's job puts him in peril, so it's believeable he'd have this happen again

Kim? And on the same day? Uh uh

She's not entertaining to watch, and I always feel her story is just there to piss me off. Death to Kim!

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Thanks for the info re Buffy, I do intend to stick with it.

For season 3 of 24, do you think they could use Tony? It seems like the sensible choice, and the little screen time they give the actor tends to be good.

16. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

Anyone disappointed that the show sets up cliff-hangers regarding a certain character in a tough situation that makes you expect something interesting or clever to come from it only to see it be resolved easily in the next episode in the first five minutes?
    For example, when Jack drugged the guy with the water bottle in the vehicle to show Nina that no one can save her, that left me thinking that he might go crazy on Nina trying to get more information/revenge? But in the next episode that entire cliffhanger is thrown away because on the plane is a guy or two who have orders to protect Nina from Jack. Why set up that interesting cliff hanger then?

In last week's episode, Nina has a gun drawn at Bauer that leaves us thinking, "How in the world will Jack escape this?" At the very least, I thought he would be a hostage for the first half of the entire hour. Instead, he gets away in the first few minutes of the show. And, it's rather lame. He just walks away. I know Bauer has courage and a reason to do this, but geeez, that subplot with Nina and Jack had the potential for very good drama and dialogue.

I'm just annoyed this season with the cliff-hangers having us expect certain things to happen only to have them be resolved anti-climatically.

17. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This happened on Alias all the time in its first season, and some of the current 2nd season as well. It's just the nature of the show. Some people buy into the serial nature of the cliffhangers, and some don't.

18. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

I think that this season is really very good. In all truthfulness part of what made the first few episodes of season 1 so compelling was the subplot with Kim and her friend being kidnapped. And, the concept was so new and different people couldn't help but be compelled by the novelty.

There were quite a few of the subplots in season 1 that really didn't end up having much bearing on the last few episodes. People complained that there was "too much" going on for it only being a 24 hour time period.

This season hasn't, on the surface, had all the twists and turns that season 1 did. The show has taken its time a little more in early episodes, and likely gained more viewers as a result. Yes, the subplot with Kim is more annoying and seemingly unnecessary this year. The show is designed to be a serialized cliffhanger show. Yes, at times some of the twists seem far-fetched and unreal. However, that is what makes it so interesting.

24 has its faults, but there is very little on TV that is as compelling. People mention Alias a lot. Outside of the beautiful Jennifer Garner, I don't always find as much to be compelled with in that show.

19. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I love 24, and I love season 2. I won't decided until hour 24 whether season 1 was superior or season 2 was superior. It's great television, and it's rare for me to feel that way.

I disagree with the complaints about the cliffhanger. Generally cliffhangers by their nature are resolved fairly quickly in the follow up. With the real time nature of the show in place, it becomes that much more necessary to deal with events swiftly. Don't forget, also, that they are dealing with a nuclear threat. Swift action is to be expected.

I hope they go realistic with Kim at the end of this season. I hope she goes to jail, or at least goes on trial. She's caused too much destruction in her last foolishness, then fled the scene, not to be prosecuted.

Next season should go on, but Kim should be out awaiting trial.

I spent much of last night hoping 24 and Kiefer would win at the Golden Globes. Those awards would have sealed a season 3 (so long as all would participate). Unfortunately it went to "The Sheild" which is in no danger of cancellation.

20. Robert Ringwald

Actually, I think that the subplot with Kim is likely tied into the bomb somehow. It's too unrealistic that it would happen on the same day, and I think the creator's know that...