"24" May Change its Format!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by VicRuiz, Apr 9, 2002.

1. VicRuiz

VicRuiz Second Unit

2. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

This was probably inevitable. A second round-the-clock emergency would have to be plotted very differently from the one we've been following. For one thing, it would strain credibility to involve Teri and Kim a second time. It would be like Holly McClane at the end of Die Hard 2: "Oh John, why does this keep happening to us?" [​IMG] The whole overlap of the professional and the personal on which this season's plot depends -- not just the family, but Bauer's personal connection to the plot and his precarious status at CTU -- would be very hard to replicate convincingly.
    Which isn't to say I'm looking forward to more conventional plots. I don't think they'll be nearly as interesting.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

How many shows have been more successful after a major revamp? The only one I can think of is "These Friends Of Mine" becoming "Ellen". Usually, they just wind up antagonizing the existing audience while the people who weren't watching it still don't watch it, because they don't know that it has changed.

Look, I'm sure that there are good stories to tell with these characters in the more standard format. But it wouldn't be "24". The serial nature of the show is what drew me to it, more than Kiefer Sutherland, Dennis Haysbert or the story. Sure, you can't necessarily get a standard rerun cycle out of it, but be creative - the Friday reruns did all right, or you could do something clever and have Thursday and Friday night each have 2 hours of "24", and advertise it as the whole show in six weeks. Or - and here's something really brave - strike while the iron is hot and release a big 7-DVD set in June.

5. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I've completely given up on Andromeda; now it's Hercules in Space. It did kick much ass; I wanted to see it develop into a full blown franchise. I'd play Andromeda the Cap Ship Simulator; I'd buy the official Andromeda RPG (and the first supplement better be about the Nietzscheans!)

But now that Herc has taken over, and turned it away from it's story arcs (the only one left being the over all 'The magog are coming! The magog are coming!) and moved over to blatant T&A, it's bye bye. Even the other actors and actresses are leaving. Brent Strait SAYS it's because of the makeup, but the timing's pretty fishy. Laura Bertram, who plays Trance, has expressed serious misgivings about the new direction of her character.

6. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

I think this is just silly. There is no reason to change the format of 24. It's format is 1/2 it's appeal. I would love to have a 7 season stretch of 24 in it's current state.

I always thought they could get a new high profile actor each year to address a 24 hour situation. That they wouldn't need to retain the same actors each year, but that the ticking clock would be what tied the show together from season to season. They could even do additional years of Keifer's character as his job and life lend themselves to the 24 hour clock idea.

I can't beleive they want to take something innovative and lobotomize it to get mass appeal. Sad.

7. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I don't see why they even need the same characters next season. If it were up to me, I'd use a completely different story with totally new characters. Heck, it could even be set in a different country. This would allow the exciting format of the show to stay the same without having to worry about how to connect it to the first season.

I'm not saying this because I don't like the characters- actually I like them a lot, especially Palmer and Bauer, and I think Sutherland is doing a fantastic job. But the idea of an anthology series, where each season is one "episode," would be gutsy and very interesting.

I understand that they're concerned with keeping the show the same, as well they should be. But there different ways to go about shaking it up, and turning it into Yet Another Ordinary TV Show is the safe, dull solution.

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I would also like to see a whole new premise with different characters around the same conceit. I would even go so far as to suggest they keep the same cast playing different characters in a completely different scenario. They robbed "Murder One" of what made it unique (focusing on a single case for the whole season with an unconventional male lead) for the same reason a few years ago and turned it into just another lawyer show which was subsequently canceled.

9. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I watch about every other episode of the show, and I have no problem at all following it, thanks to the little summaries at the start of each episode.

The only reason I watch at all is that the format is intriguing, and I want to see how it all eventually turns out. If it was a regular show with stand-alone episodes, I wouldn't watch. I don't watch ANY other hour-long dramas, except "X-files", just because most of them are stand-alone episodes, which doesn't interest me.

Maybe I'm not like the average viewer (after all, I've never watched ANY episodes of "ER", "CSI" or any of the "Law & Order" shows), but I assume there must be other viewers out there like me, which Fox should manage to get if they keep the format.

Also, what would be the difference between making each 24 hour period last for a whole season, and making it last only one hour? They would still have to come up with various plot elements involving the same characters.

I like the idea of completely switching the cast between seasons, and doing everything in the same format it is now. The format is what draws people, not the actors or characters.

/Mike

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I wouldn't object to 6 part stories like Wiseguy used to do. It worked for Wiseguy, it works for Dr. Who, it works.

Isn't one of the conceivers of 24 from the old Wiseguy series? Perhaps that's all they mean.

If it is just one-hour stories, forget it, I don't have time or interest to learn a new plot each week.

(Wiseguy is the series that had great actors in the making like Kevin Spacey, and featured Jim Byrnes as the character "Lifeguard", and had Jerry Lewis in a serious role in one of the stories). Very gritty undercover work, very much like 24.

11. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I could see having different actors for each season being an interesting concept. However I was at least thinking season 2 could take place with David Palmer as President and Jack Bauer working as his anti-terrorism right hand man.

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

My take on the change would be to have stories that only ran for a few episodes, like '2' for two weeks, or a

'7' for seven weeks. This kind of sends the '24' out the window, but if they were really good, the last few episodes would be the summary for all of the previous ones, putting them all together for a 'finale'.

Glenn

13. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Dave, you're assuming Palmer makes it through the day [​IMG]
    Gord

14. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I'd rather see it canceled than have it turned into another CSI/Law and order. While those shows are find, the format of 24 is what drew in most of the people who watch it. "Finally, something different" we all thought, I'm sure. Changing it to be the same as everything else will alienate most of the current viewers. This would be like if survivor drew names out of a hat to boot people out.

I like the idea of changing the cast, but I think they could do it again with the focus being on Jack, and changing most everything else.

Whos starting this petition?

15. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

If they break up into a different format it basically makes a show also easier to cancel.

With a show like "24," of which I have yet to watch a single showing, if it does become a program to go bye-bye, it is easier on both the viewer and the network.

The network doesn't have to stick to a commitment then and they can pull the plug and the viewer won't feel like they have wasted time or not know the outcome.

Again...this shows the dumbing of the American television audiance. Most people do not have the memory to be able to watch a continueing story. Unlike a day time soap which you can watch one day and come back a year later and watch and still be able to somewhat follow the story....with a show that is well written and complex, most people have trouble following it.

16. StephenT

StephenT Stunt Coordinator

It asks a lot from the viewer!? People only watch about 8 episodes of their favorite show!? Hello? TiVo, people. Live in the present. They're not that expensive. TiVo is so perfect for a show like 24. I have a pool league on Tuesday nights, but what do I care? TiVo's got my back.

And a big booooooooooooooo to this format change idea. Three choices:

1. Same format, same characters, new situation. I don't like this one, but I'd watch it.

2. Same format, new characters, new actors. This would be cool.

3. Same format, new characters, SAME actors. Hey they're actors. They can play different characters, and it would be loyal to the original group to hire them for the future seasons. I really like this one. New characters every season. Maybe a good guy this year is a bad guy next year. That would be way cool. I bet the actors would love it. Fun work.

I think the third scenario rules, but you know it's TV. It would be crazy to take chances.

If they change the format to standard one show with resolution, count me out. I won't watch in protest.

17. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Stephen:

I like options 2 and 3 best too. I hadn't thought of option 3, but it really is an interesting one. The only programs we've seen in the past where actors remain but characters change have been sketch comedy oriented. I think it would be very intesting to do a drama that way.

They'd have to make it very clear somehow which season they were working in though, since a viewer in eventual syndication may catch a Jack episode one week, and then see Keifer's new character the next and have no clue what's going on.

Perhaps they can change the font on the clock each season. Or give some other visual clue.

Too bad we don't have input into such things. Or more probably, too bad creative people get overruled by accountants in such matters.

18. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Scenario 3 would be so cool. Not a chance in hell that it would happen though.

/Mike

19. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

I am so glad I didn't get into the show. I really liked the premise and the way they were going to tell it, but I knew that at the end of the day (season), if it was popular enough, it'd be warped beyond recognition for a second season. I've had far too many shows I've liked changed because of the belief (reality?) of low attention spans of people. I'll buy the first season on DVD if they ever do it, but I simply refuse to watch new dramas anymore.

20. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer