What's new

24: Legacy gets the axe, sort of (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This makes sense. The show wasn't getting many viewers (I was the only one I knew who was watching it), and it quickly became apparent that it was creatively bankrupt. Everything on the show this year was something we've seen before in 24, including:

-Villain seeking revenge in part for something the main characters did prior to start of show (Season 1)
-Protagonist's father is involved with the terrorists (Season 6)
-Traitor inside the government (Seasons 1, 5)
-Muslim terrorists (Seasons 2, 4, 6, 8, 9)
-Protagonist going rogue to get job done (pretty much every prior season)

You could go down the list of similarities, but they were all pale imitations of the original. You had the new lead character, Eric Carter, who was thrust into a Jack Bauer-type nightmare but without the gravitas for the role. The Jimmy Smits character, who was a less inspired version of the David Palmer character. The awkward computer tech, meant to remind you of Chloe O'Brien. Tony Almeida's back, but is he good or bad - sound familiar? If you thought Teri Bauer and her amnesia in the original season one was bad, wait until you saw Carter's girlfriend having to hide with Carter's brother and getting caught up in a drug dealing ring.

Despite running only 12 episodes, the show was still filled with subplots and side characters that seemed more about filling time than providing dramatic tension. Too often, the original show threw in subplots at the wrong time that were just filler. If there's a bomb that might go off and nuke an entire city, or a biological or chemical weapon which could decimate a coastline, I really don't care about the drug dealing brother in law of the hero or any other distractions.

I really wanted to like this show, and I watched every episode, but it was terrible. The real-time concept of 24 has plenty of potential, but 24: Legacy was like putting the most stale elements of 24 into a blender and hiring a new cast to read old lines. It was never anything but predictable, and instead of breaking new ground, was content to spin in its wheels. When Kiefer Sutherland was in the show, he had a unique presence that made the show seem better than it was. He could sell most of the garbage, and his character was compelling enough that it was worth sitting through the bad parts. This new version, by comparison, never really justified its reason for existing.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I enjoyed Legacy, more than I expected. But I wasn't yearning for a second season. I was ambivalent for the structure. I could tell I didn't have the patience for a full 24 episode literal 24-hr show like I did with the original. But at the same time, and contradictory, a 12-hr "24" show with a "12 hours later" finale felt like a giant cheat.

The original 24, I think, was wildly fun and invented a new formula for American TV. But 10 seasons and a mini-movie later, it's exhausted. And in 2017 the short-form drama owns this space; simply chopping off half the season isn't adequate re-invention to be worthwhile.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remember that. They were throwing out all sorts of nutty ideas between Seasons 1 and 2, from not bringing back Jack Bauer, to telling a prequel Jack Bauer story, and most ridiculously, abandoning the real time format.

The real time format has a lot of potential, but I think it's been swept to the side for most of the later season. If you rewatch the first couple years of 24, there are long stretches where Jack is out of action because he's got to drive a long distance, or needs to take a nap, or whatever. It's not truly real time, but it takes more than a commercial break to get from one side of the map to the other. In the later years, it seems like they fudged this a lot more.

If they're going to keep going as an anthology, I'd like to see them adhere more to the real-time aspect, and to drop the recurring elements that they've beaten to death over the years.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TV sci-fi/action shows doe not care about spacetime. I've accepted that for decades. 24 ignoring it is just standard procedure :)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I won't miss it.

And I won't be buying 24-Legacy: Season 1 on disc to sit alongside all the seasons of 24 on my shelves.

It was pretty bad. The only moment which will stick with me, I believe, is the explosion on the bridge. For whatever reason, the creative forces figured out a way to build a fair amount of suspense and drama running up to that particular moment.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
TV sci-fi/action shows doe not care about spacetime. I've accepted that for decades. 24 ignoring it is just standard procedure :)

The thing is, this show at one point did. In Season One, Jack was out of action for stretches as he'd have to drive from one end of L.A. to the other. In Season Two, they again used distance as part of the story, and in Season Three, event kept Jack out of action for an entire episode, unconscious on an airplane I believe. The later seasons abandoned that style, but the show originally had it. I wouldn't complain if the show had never had a pretense of keeping time, but since the entire premise is about taking place in real time, and episodes begin with a voiceover that declares "Events occur in real time," it's been a little frustrating when they started to disregard it.

And I won't be buying 24-Legacy: Season 1 on disc to sit alongside all the seasons of 24 on my shelves.

I won't be getting it either, despite owning all of the previous seasons. I kinda enjoyed the first episode, but it quickly went downhill. Maybe I'm just a terrible human being, but when the stakes get raised to "survival of the country" level, it's very hard for me to care about individual dramas. For instance, there's a sequence several episodes in where the lead character, Eric Carter, has to track down an old Army buddy who has a computer chip with all of the information needed to stop a dozen large-scale terrorist attacks - while at the same time, the terrorists are chasing after the same guy because this computer chip will allow them to proceed with carrying out those attacks. The show crosscuts between Eric and the terrorists both closing in on this guy -- and a subplot about Eric's wife who is staying with his brother, and caught up in a drug deal and the brother's two-timing girlfriend who plans to sell out the brother. Just think how nuts that is. On one hand, we're getting scenes where the consequences of failure could be massive terrorist attacks on a huge sale -- and I'm supposed to care about whether or not a drug dealer gangster gets killed by another drug dealer gangster? The world might end, and I'm supposed to care in that same moment whether or not the girlfriend is lying about taking birth control?

If you want me to care about small character drama, make it a small story that's character driven. If you want me to care about big stakes and stopping the end of the world, don't waste my time on minutia.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
The original series was must-see TV for me, but by the time that it got cancelled, as I had enough by that point. Even if the finale was not to my satisfaction. Still have not watched 24: Live Another Day, and no desire to do so. Same goes for this version as well.

And judging by the fact that this version did not get much of a thread here, I guess a lot of other people have felt the same way.

Last edited:

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Watched the first 10 minutes of the first episode and gave up quickly. It is just not the same show without Jack Bauer, and the plots were bound to be recycled as previously pointed out. The sliver lining: Corey Hawkins should now be free to resume his role of Heath on The Walking Dead.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There were a couple of moments of real suspense and surprise in the show, but most of it certainly did rehash pivotal moments/surprises/revelations we had experienced in previous seasons, and the last episode felt really anticlimactic. I never felt Corey Hawkins was intense or compelling enough as the lead of the show. And I found myself in many of the episodes looking for logic holes and absurdities instead of getting caught up in the lackluster action.

At least the anthology format will allow a new actor to take center stage in each "season," and maybe if they find someone as galvanizing as Keifer Sutherland, they can build an action/suspense series around him that runs longer than one season.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The sliver lining: Corey Hawkins should now be free to resume his role of Heath on The Walking Dead.

When this wasn't immediately renewed, the initial reason given was that Corey Hawkins had other commitments to stage work, and was not available to work on an additional season. I can't remember the details of the stage work they had mentioned so I'm not sure if that will affect his availability for any other potential projects like Walking Dead (a show I don't watch).

There were a couple of moments of real suspense and surprise in the show, but most of it certainly did rehash pivotal moments/surprises/revelations we had experienced in previous seasons, and the last episode felt really anticlimactic. I never felt Corey Hawkins was intense or compelling enough as the lead of the show. And I found myself in many of the episodes looking for logic holes and absurdities instead of getting caught up in the lackluster action.

Same here. I wanted to like it, but it was just so hard. It went from being a show that I watched live (or a few minutes after live so I could fast forward during commercials) to one that I watched while folding laundry the next afternoon. In my book, that's a steep fall.

I didn't dislike Hawkins, but the intensity wasn't there - I wonder how much of that was him, and how much was the scripts. He was in an odd sort of position as a character just caught up in this, but with no real authority or position amongst everyone else working on the case. That made everything seem more implausible than it did already.

By the time the show ended, I just didn't care. I wasn't moved at all by one character's passing, I didn't care about the political career of a different character, I didn't care about the lead character's troubled marriage.

At its best, the Jack Bauer version of 24 understood that when the fate of the world was at stake, little things didn't matter anymore. Your marriage is irrelevant when weighed against the survival of the country or the species. The original show understood this. Jack pissed people off. Jack made unpopular choices. Jack made doctors operate to save a suspect who might have information about a weapon of mass destruction, forcing them at gunpoint to abandon surgery on an innocent civilian in order to save the suspect so he could be questioned. It was an ugly scene filled with emotion and tension, and it may have appeared morally reprehensible to some, but Jack was given the choice between sacrificing one person to save thousands or millions, and to him, that wasn't even a choice. That's the kind of thing I watch 24 for.

So this season, when the terrorists are threatening major attacks on the U.S., I could care less if the agent's wife is harmed by his drug dealing brother's deal gone bad. I could care less if the wife doesn't want the husband to work for the government. None of that stuff is relevant at that level. And I think this version of the story got caught up in too many situations where Jack Bauer wouldn't have hesitated or wasted time on nonsense.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I did make it through the entire season, but I found Corey Hawkins utterly uncompelling in the lead. Ashley Thomas (Isaac) actually had a better presence and weight in his supporting role.

In the returning series comparison, I found "Prison Break" much more enjoyable. While preposterous as ever, I was genuinely glad to see the familiar actors/characters again. Hopefully, this one will have another "event" series in a couple of years as tentatively planned.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I won't miss it.

It was pretty bad. The only moment which will stick with me, I believe, is the explosion on the bridge. For whatever reason, the creative forces figured out a way to build a fair amount of suspense and drama running up to that particular moment.

I'm with Mike. I liked it, but life goes on without it.

It stuck to the standard formula, truly forgettable, nothing really new. As Mike said, "I won't miss it".

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
In the returning series comparison, I found "Prison Break" much more enjoyable. While preposterous as ever, I was genuinely glad to see the familiar actors/characters again.

I think that's what I missed most with this 24. Because it so slavishly adhered to the original version's storylines and cliches, it felt even more second-rate without the familiar leads.

If 24 was done as a new idea, where maybe it wasn't a government spy thriller, and maybe it wasn't the same "universe," then it wouldn't feel like it was missing Jack, it could just be a new spin on a fun idea.

I enjoyed 24: Live Another Day (the 12 episode series with Jack) much more than this - I can't say if the writing was objectively any better or the premise any more realistic (though it feels like it was), but because it was filled with familiar faces I was already invested in, I was totally along for the ride.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I had many problems with this show (see the show's thread for my comments).

I think the Bauer version is one of the best shows ever. And I loved all the seasons. Even when some of the general situations were repeated, they were handled differently. There were moments in every season that were just awesome.

This series, no. The thing is, as a prequel, it served a function. Where things stood at the end, I was actually looking forward to another season. If this were truly 24, then you had a crappy first twelve hours and maybe a decent second half. It was intended as a prequel, but if you looked at it that way then if they had continued ...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

The Blacklist is one of the worst about this.

Cooper: Ressler, you and Navabi need to get to Warsaw.
Ressler: We're on the ground. Warsaw's a dead end.
Cooper: Forget about Warsaw! I need you at the base of the Washington Monument to save Agent Keen!
Ressler: We're there now.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
This makes sense. The show wasn't getting many viewers (I was the only one I knew who was watching it), and it quickly became apparent that it was creatively bankrupt. Everything on the show this year was something we've seen before in 24, including:

-Villain seeking revenge in part for something the main characters did prior to start of show (Season 1)
-Protagonist's father is involved with the terrorists (Season 6)
-Traitor inside the government (Seasons 1, 5)
-Muslim terrorists (Seasons 2, 4, 6, 8, 9)
-Protagonist going rogue to get job done (pretty much every prior season)

You could go down the list of similarities, but they were all pale imitations of the original. You had the new lead character, Eric Carter, who was thrust into a Jack Bauer-type nightmare but without the gravitas for the role. The Jimmy Smits character, who was a less inspired version of the David Palmer character. The awkward computer tech, meant to remind you of Chloe O'Brien. Tony Almeida's back, but is he good or bad - sound familiar? If you thought Teri Bauer and her amnesia in the original season one was bad, wait until you saw Carter's girlfriend having to hide with Carter's brother and getting caught up in a drug dealing ring.

Despite running only 12 episodes, the show was still filled with subplots and side characters that seemed more about filling time than providing dramatic tension. Too often, the original show threw in subplots at the wrong time that were just filler. If there's a bomb that might go off and nuke an entire city, or a biological or chemical weapon which could decimate a coastline, I really don't care about the drug dealing brother in law of the hero or any other distractions.

I really wanted to like this show, and I watched every episode, but it was terrible. The real-time concept of 24 has plenty of potential, but 24: Legacy was like putting the most stale elements of 24 into a blender and hiring a new cast to read old lines. It was never anything but predictable, and instead of breaking new ground, was content to spin in its wheels. When Kiefer Sutherland was in the show, he had a unique presence that made the show seem better than it was. He could sell most of the garbage, and his character was compelling enough that it was worth sitting through the bad parts. This new version, by comparison, never really justified its reason for existing.
You could make the same argument for the last few seasons of the original series though. I bailed on Legacy after a few episodes but I didn't get the people that complained about it for the reasons they did when they were fine with the last few seasons of the original. I guess Jack Bauer makes up for an equally bad script and story...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
They should have gone with Yvonne Strahovski's character from "Live Another Day" as the lead.

If they do move to an anthology format, it'd be cool if they got away from the terrorism angle and tackled other events that have a ticking clock: Maybe do a Taking of Pelham One Two Three-style heist thriller one season, do a natural disaster story the next season, and so on. That would seem to be a better use of the real-time format than retreading the now well-worn path of the original series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks