What's new

24-hour wear contact lenses, anybody have 'em yet? (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I saw a commercial for these contacts by FOCUS that allow you to wear them overnight and stuff. If these work well, it'd be awesome. Im wearing contacts now (thanks hugely to HTF who helped me convince my parents to let me get them. they're awesome!), and it'd be very handy to have lenses i wear all the time.

I went by a optometrist, and they recommended PUREVISION lenses by Bausch and Lomb, i checked out their website, but there was no information to be found. I then checked out the one for the FOCUS Night and Day contacts, http://www.nightanddaycontacts.com/ .

Anybody have any experiences with these? Im tempted to go in for a 'free' trial pair. But it says 'professional fees not included'. What sort of 'professional fees' am i looking at here?

Thanks

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wear extended wear contacts, but I take them out on a daily basis because there's less of a chance for eye infections if you don't wear them while sleeping. In over a decade, I have never had an eye infection yet. I really would caution against wearing your contacts when you sleep on a regular basis.

The reason I have extended wear is for the "just in case" factor, if I really needed to, I could sleep in them and not be penalized too much (in terms of eye comfort the next day), like being stuck somewhere and I didn't have my glasses with me and needed to spend the night elsewhere.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I tried a pair of extended wear ones that you can wear when sleeping, but I found they are really really really thin. The reason I wanted to try them is because I am a avid backpacker camper so it's always a PITA to take out my contacts each night when camping. Ya know, hands dirty, can't see the bears :) etc. But when used regularly, I'd always take them out at night. I've found that trying to clean them, I'd rip them very easily. I know the new solutions advertise No Rub so perhaps now it's moot but even now, I still rub my lenses even though the RENU that I buy says "No Rub".

I've thought about just buying a few pairs and use them ONLY when camping but haven't gotten around to it.

I'd suggest what Patrick does, I wouldn't sleep in contacts regularly, I mean taking out the contacts isn't that big a deal for me, takes around a minute for me to take out and clean and put away. No biggie!

Jay

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Patrick and Jay would be filed in my book as model patients on contacts. Good thing they follow what's recommended by eye docs. An eye infection is what contact lens wearers should be wary about. And its not just an ordinary pink eye. The cornea gets it and the kind of bug involved is usually hard to treat. And most of the time, if the problem has resolved an opacity develops....sometimes needing a transplant. Sory to be scaring u but those r the facts.
So to make a short story short, prevention is the key. Why take the risk anyway?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
I hate when I fall asleep with my contacts in, and in the morning, ever light or brightness i see is like a halo....
(no not the game) haha

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Amen! I have worn soft contacts since 1978. My first pair cost over $350, and caused a couple of eye infections. I moved to extended wear disposable contacts years ago. I was told by my eye doctor to start removing them at night to allow my eyes to "breathe". Since then my eyes have never felt better. I use the same pair for 4 weeks and then chunk them. I actually look forward to taking them out at night to watch movies. It became one more step in my wind-down routine at night to relax.

Nick, make sure you take care of your eyes man. Eye infections can be incredibly painful. Also, NEVER eat hot wings with the hand you use to take care of your contacts, and ALWAYS brush your teeth AFTER you take your contacts out. Talk about pain, I speak from experience!!!!

Good luck!

Pete

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
Nick

I highly recommend the purevision brand by b&l. In the states, b&l was sued by ciba for patent infringement (ciba's focus night and day was supposedly similar to pure vision). So, b&l stopped selling them in the US but does in europe. I don't know about Canada.

I wore purevision for over a year and loved them. I wore them at least a month at a time. I then switched to focus figuring they'd be the same but they are not at all. IMHO, focus suck. Focus is thin and uncomfortable. They dry out all too easily.

Don't let all these folks scare you too much btw. I'm not the most careful when it came to contacts and in 15 years, have never had a problem... maybe some are more susceptible than others. The supposedly cool thing about purevision is they allow more oxygen to get to your cornea than any previous contact. This allows for greater comfort as well as reduced chances of infection. I found purevision to be thicker than my previous accuvue's so they were easier to handle. They were way more comfortable as well.

Nevertheless in a bizarre way, the whole loss of purevision led to my getting lasik which I had two weeks ago. I was in more pain and agony with dry contacts that I couldn't stand it anymore. I can share that story if you like, but needless to say, I'm happy with my lasik decision.

So, go for the purevision if you can get it. It's the next best thing to not needing any correction at all.

Chris

suit press release

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, so no more purevision???

I thought that these 24-hour lenses were new, but i guess not... so the 'extended wear' lenses are the same as these 'night and day' lenses?

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not an eye-care professional...
but my thoughts were that these newer lenses (couple years old) that can be worn monthly are different from 'extended wear' Generally, I think extended wear is to be worn continuously for up to a week. There can be disposable or non-disposable varieties (you clean the nondisposable and trash the others obviously). The monthlies are only disposable as far as I know. The night & day's are monthly disposables.

I dont' know if purevision is available in canada or not. Check out your canadian contact lens websellers and see.

Chris

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Nick, I've been using disposals for about 10 years now. I used to use the Bausch and Lomb and now use the Focus monthly's. I never sleep with them in unless I totally forget.

Taking them out each night is the best thing you can do for your eyes. Don't sleep in them.

Patrick

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah i am using regular disposals, but there are these new ones that let in more oxygen that are designed to allow you to sleep in them... i was wonderin abot those ones...

KyleK

Second Unit
Hey guys why not just get LASER EYE SURGERY. I mean, it's just a laser, being pointed directly in your eye, no harm in that right?;) Hey if you want, I'll perform it myself, at half the cost of a professional.:D

Oops, what am I doing in this thread, 20/20 all the way right here, heh.

Chris Souders

Stunt Coordinator
KyleK,

Actually, it's a small knife that cuts an outer flap of your eyeball and lifts it up out of the way. Then it's a laser that is aimed not in your eye, but on your eye and burns/zaps some of the remaining tissue away. Then after 3 or 4 minutes total, you are done. And I've never met anyone that had a problem with the modern technology, though I imagine there are some. It's a personal decision of course, no better or worse than plastic surgery.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks