What's new

24 Hour Party People (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Never heard of this film. But when I made one click, which led to a series of clicks, I've discovered that New Order is somehow intertwined in this film.
Automatic purchase.
And the R2 version, it contains stuff on Peter Saville and a music video by New Order?
How can I find this R2 disc?
After a little search, I see that Ebert loves this film:
Ebert's review of 24 Hour Party People
Sigh...it's been a long drought since New Order's last album. Joy Division to New Order - once kings and now sadly, I fear, relics.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
peter -
don't quote me (i haven't seen this movie yet), but i think the guy in the movie created (or is involved) with factory records....which was (or still is?) new order's label.
Sigh...it's been a long drought since New Order's last album.
"get ready" came out only a year or so ago. it's one of my favorite albums. they just released "retro" - which sorta counts. and i believe they're already working on another album. if you aren't already aware, be sure to check out www.neworderonline.com too.
i wouldn't call them relics...if anything they've only gotten better.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I've had good experiences ordering from Link Removed
For some reason they have the sell-through DVD listed as "twenty four" instead of the numeric "24." It took me a while to find it.
Link Removed
I'll probably order it from here.
Gregory
EDIT: Oh no, I've done the dirty deed. I hope it ships soon! Now I've gotta figure out the best US price.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
don't quote me (i haven't seen this movie yet), but i think the guy in the movie created (or is involved) with factory records....which was (or still is?) new order's label.
The film is the story of Factory Records & the associated club, music & people.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Ted,
Sorry, I misspoke. I'm afraid it is I who is the relic, faded into a nostalgia of my '80's and Substance.
Unfortunately, you've opened one of my Pandora's box and awkened the long dormant New Order completist in me, which involved an obsessive and tumultuous pursuit of 12" remixes, imports, and B-sides (skip the live recordings, that's another story).
Thanks for the new order link...what the hell have I missed during my dot-com/greed induced '90's slumber which gave way to new millenium fatherhood? International, Heart & Soul, Retro (& I'm banging my head for missing out on the limited 5th extra disc)...and now 24 Hour Party People?
I'm afraid my wallet is about to take a big hit. Baby's not going to get some new shoes for awhile.
Thanks for the link, Gregory. And BrianB...you sound like the narrator at the beginning of New Order Story. ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
lol peter! not even a problem. it's always a *pleasure* to meet another new order fan! :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Please help...Gregory, anyone?

When I tried to order this disc from Bensonsworld, I'm at a loss as what to enter for some account info.

When asked for expiry date of credit card, they also ask for valid from and 'issue number'. What is an 'issue number' and how should I format the dates (day first, then month?)? And where do I enter in my home state of Minnesota?

Thanks!

Ted, dyed in the wool, or so I thought. Now that I've got some catching up to do. BTW, after I checked out the release dates on neworderonline, I saw that Japan has yet to release Retro. So, I dash over to amazon.jp with hopes that the 5-disc limited is still available...the madness has begun.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Peter,
dates in the UK are Day/month/year. I set up my Bensons account over a year ago so I'm not sure what to say about the issue number. It could be that number on the back of your credit card where the signature is. When entering your address, there may be extra lines in there somewhere. Just put any other info that needs to be in there like city, state, zipcode etc. Make sure you specify United States too.
I'm sure you already know this but the Region 2 DVD is PAL and you're going to need a DVD-ROM or region free PAL->NTSC player to see it. I can definitely relate to the music obsession. I bought a region free player for 1 title - the live concert dvd James: Getting away with it Live. I was there for the show and I had to own the DVD. :)
You can try checking your local independent record stores for the Retro w/ bonus disc. Unfortunately none of the ones in charlotte were independent enough and I guess I got one of the last copies of the bonus disc from rhino.com
Good Luck
Gregory

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks for the help, Gregory. I've emailed Bensons (am I crazy, since why does this make me think of it as a furniture store?) for some help about the issue number.

Yeah, I need to get a region-free PAL to NTSC player. This will be my second title without. So far, I'm using my dvd on my iMac, but it'll soon lock me out of the rest of the world (including R1) if I stick with playing R2.

So it sounds like we've got a few New Order fans around here. Looks like everything's gone green...

Jason_H

Second Unit
Just a side note, if you want to get the music video for Here to Stay without buying the R2 24 Hour Party People disc, there is a R2 DVD single available. It came out months ago.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Still trying to decide whether it's worth the extra coin for R2 vs. R1.
However, this might help others with their decision - currently, BestBuy.com is selling this preorder for $15.99. In my long experience with their online preorder pricing, it's almost automatic that this will be the price during release week at the B&M's.
If you're going to actually preoder this title, put this dvd in your cart. Only then will you see it's new price, reduced from $19.99 to $15.99.
Still is strange (but nice) to see Best Buy extend promotional pricing to this obscure title.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Oh sweet! Thanks for the info on Best Buy's price Peter! I've been debating whether or not to order online vs. purchase in store and I think you've now made the decision. If Best Buy will have it in store for $15.99, that's where I'll be getting it.

I was going through the same dilema as to which version to get and it would help if we had some reviews, but I decided that I wanted the extra commentary-type-thing on disc 2 with the actual people.

It's great to see New Order fans coming out of the woodwork!

Gregory

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Gregory,
the completist monster has again reared its ugly head (no thanks to you ;) )...I bought the R2 version and will buy the R1 at Best Buy next week.
My only concern is that since this is a relatively obscure title, BB might not have many copies. So, to ensure that I don't waste my time driving all over town, I might just wait until Tuesday or after to buy it online and select the in-store pickup option. Then, I'm guaranteed a copy when I arrive at the store.

Jason_H

Second Unit
The Finsbury Park disc is quite nice...anamorphic, 5.1 DTS sound. The other one out on the market (in R2 only) is a disc including both a concert from 1983 in New York and their "comeback" gig at Reading 1998. The sound is only stereo, but it is uncompressed PCM and sounds great...and the standard ratio video looks EXCELLENT.

AaronJB

Second Unit
The R1 MGM disc is presented in Dolby Digital 5.1; 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen. There are two commentary tracks and a couple of featurettes and deleted scenes, as well as a photo gallery and trailer.

I have the DVD here, but haven't opened it yet.

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
Aaron, Well by golly what's keeping you? Someone's gotta tell us what features are left off the Region 1 release! ;)
Gregory

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks