24 (hour 8) 1/15/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

(Some people wondered where Jack got the gun to pull on the fake photographer) I think Jack was cleared to have a fire arm when he went through the check point.
    This was a good episode. I am looking forward to Palmer's punk-@$$ son to go to jail.
    Ganz looked like he was about to blow some blood vessels when Jack hosed up the assassination attempt (which is why this show is called "24" and not "12") [​IMG]
    Looks like Ganz will try to tag Palmer later in the day as Palmer moves through LA stumping for votes in the primary.
    Jack will break out, and in an effort to save his family, he'll have to continue to do most of Ganz's bidding, but Nina will find a way to contact him, and they'll be wrking in tandem to finally finish off the case. I also think Walsh has a lot to do with the setup on Jack.
    Jamie did look pathetic, but probably is having her family being used as hostages by Ganz as well. You'd think CTU would have protocol for this sort of situation.

2. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

I doubt Gaines has anything on Jamie, anything more than blackmail or something like that. I got the feeling that she would talk, and give up some piece of crucial information that leads Nina closer to Gaines (although not enough info).

It will be interesting to see how they use up the next 16 episodes. They could go anywhere from here.

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Pure speculation on my part:

What if the white guy that Palmer's son killed "accidentally" is related to Ganz? Hmm...that would give us the revenge motive for this huge undertaking by Ganz.

5. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

I am loving 24 as well. Very much caught up in it. The best stuff Kiefer Sutherland has ever done, that's for sure. He is absolutely great in this role, and I definitely have a newfound respect for him as an actor.
    Oh, another thing that I like very much about the show...the woman playing Jamie!! Wow! She is hot! (Who is she and what other stuff has she done?) Love the tight jeans.[​IMG] She has a very nice, uh, backside. Oh well, I have always been attracted to petite, exotic looking woman. Yeeeeaaaawwwwza!
    The show is very well done. And if you started watching from the beginning you were hooked. Nice job.

6. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

Well, there's one casting rumor (seen on Ain't It Cool News and Dark Horizons last week) that, if true, could be a minor spoiler concerning the mystery of why Palmer and Jack are targets (doesn't really give any answers, but hints at one of the misdirections we may all currently believe):

Dennis Hopper as the mastermind behind the terrorists. This would indicate that Gaines is not the top man in the operation, as all the episodes up to this point would have us believe.

I've given some thought to the idea that the Palmer assassination is tied to a revenge plot from the rapist's death. It would be a good plot turn in that it ties the two seemingly independent plots of the show together, but it seems too easy. I also think the body count achieved by the terrorists indicates that this is something much, much bigger than a simple assassination. In just preparing for the day, they murdered a teenage girl and her father and destroyed a fully-booked jetliner, leaving no survivors. Once things got going, they've killed two CTU agents (assuming Walsh is really dead, which I'm not too sure of; I think it's a pretty safe bet that Baylor, who gave Walsh the keycard, is really dead), a police officer, and a moronic henchman. Seems like a lot of dead folks just to exact revenge on the kid that killed your son/brother/nephew/whatever.

I don't know where this show is going, and I can't wait to take the ride.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, if the target of your revenge was just some average joe, then this would be over-kill [​IMG] but since David Palmer is also running for president, the stakes are higher, and so are the obstacles.

8. Michael St. Clair

I'm not even convinced that the assassination attempt was designed to succeed...graze him, frame Jack.

Maybe Palmer's wife is up to something...something to draw attention away from the upcoming scandal (while framing Jack), which she may have known was coming in advance...something to help insure Palmer gets elected.

Or maybe the hit was on but not for obvious reasons. Maybe somebody wanted to make a martyr out of Palmer for their own political gain.

Or maybe not.

But that woman is up to something!

One thing for sure...there is something more to this story than assassination and framing Jack. Wait and see!

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Looked like Jack's earpiece popped out at the very end, so Gaines has lost direct contact and control.

It's prudent to keep hostages. When he thought that Jack double-crossed him, it might have made sense to kill at least one of them as an example. But since Gaines was misdirected by the call from Jamey, you have more flexibility with two (e.g. kill one later if necessary).

Funny how it all hinged on whatshisname overhearing Jamey make up that lie about Nina, and he got the call only because she wasn't at her desk.

//Ken

10. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

Hey, don't forget that Jack was the guy who brought down some folks at the CTU or Secret Service or CIA or FBI or wherever [​IMG] I do not think it is an accident that a) Jack is being targeted and framed; b) they were able to get someone on the indside, Jamie, to do some of their dirty work; c) that the bad guys seem to have a pretty good idea of what the obstacles are they need to get past.
    I agree with the person who thinks that Jack is the target and not Palmer. Or maybe both, killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

12. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    Silly question, but by 8:00 AM wouldn't there be a list of fatalities on the airliner brought down at 1:00 AM?

If so, would it trigger an alarm to the Secret Service that a dead guy (the photographer) was present at a candidate's speach?

Another thought--Every news show is about the election and Palmer's presence in LA. How come none of the news shows are talking about the mysterious plane crash? Fully loaded planes don't blow up in mid-air every day.

13. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I had the same thought Hugh. It's like that plane crash never happened. It would be top news only a few hours later in the morning.

Of course, to us it seems like it happened 2 months ago cause that's when we saw it!

14. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Because 9/11 made them minimize that part of the story.

15. Sean Cauley

Don't know why the plane crash hasn't even been on the news (although, from a behind-the-scenes standpoint, I somewhat agree with Will_B's reasoning), but as to the question of the photographer's name not coming up among the dead, there's an explanation. Shortly after the crash, the CTU discovered (I think Tony brought it up, but I don't recall) that the flight was listed as taking off with a full passenger load, but the manifest showed one empty seat in first class. Most assumptions (of people I talked to) were that it was the seat occupied by Terrorist Mandy, and that it was just a precaution to erase any link to the bomber. But my guess now is that the terrorists erased Martin Belkin's name from the manifest so he wouldn't be listed as dead right away (sure, when his people back home never heard from him again, or witnesses could say they dropped him off at the airport to take that particular flight, it would come out, but not by 8 a.m.); if that's the case, Mandy undoubtedly had a fake name on her ticket.

16. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

This goes WAY beyond Palmer. Didnt the plot start in South East Asia in the first scene of hour 1? Forign terrorist orginizations dont plot to kill presidential CANIDATES and blow up a planeload of people in the process just to get thier fav politician elected...

No one has said this but...

[rant]what was with the knowing look Palmer and Bauer had?[/rant]

Plus Gaines looked more afraid than frustrated when the hit on palmer didnt go off...hes just a low level guy in this scheme.

Now about the plot...Bauer turned in fellow agents so the public would believe him beyound corruption...a loyal civil servent...a man who follows the establishments orders...[rant]A loyal government agent who just happened to assinate the first major party black canidate!!!!![/rant]

Can someone say race war and virtual 2nd American Revolution!

Pretty good way to destabalize the US government if your a terrorist.

Just how to explain the wife and daughter angle.

Cant say Jack killed them cause then the lone lunatic theory works and not the government sanctioned assasin.

Any thoughts?

I hope hopper would play the radical insider rather than the evil mastermind. More Apacolypse Now than Speed.

17. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    has anyone ever seen that airline commercial"wanna get away" were this guy named louis has a personal ad and the 2 woman in the next cubicle call the number and find out it's him.one of them is nina and the other is the nurse on scrubs who always wears a pink scrub.

18. Sean Cauley

Yeah, I saw that commercial this weekend (didn't recognize the lady from Scrubs, though). It's weird to see Sarah Clarke (Nina) smiling and laughing, after all that's happened on 24.

The only other place I recall ever seeing her was on an episode of Ed last season. She played Ed's old high-school girlfriend who tested her husband to see if he'd cheat on her, then ran into pre-nup trouble since she could be considered partly to blame for his cheating.

19. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Just an FYI that every week, http://www.flakmag.com/tv/24-8.html Flak Magazine has a columnist typing in a running commentary on each episode of 24 that is really entertaining. It's not just a straight synopsis-izing, it is much more free style (the current week's column includes discussion of the 7 up commercial, for instance).
    Anyway I've been enjoying it and thought you would too.

20. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I thought it was explained that people inside the Agency don't like Palmer because he's trying to cut funding to them. He's pissed off a lot of people, thus the attempt on his life.

I think that was in the first or second show.

Gord