24 bit/96kHz question

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ben_wood, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

I have an Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver with a Sony DVP-NS500V player, will these components play 24 bit/96kHz discs at their full resolution?

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ben, both components are relatively recent releases, so you should be fine. I am almost positive that the 'NS500V can pass a 24/96 signal through the digital outputs without downconversion, and the digital inputs on the 'DS595 should be able to handle 24/96. Is there nothing in the owner's manuals? This is usually covered somewhere.

Note also that you can 24/96 material on the 'NS500V using the analog outputs. Just have the 'DS595 in analog bypass mode.

One final comment. I assume you are talking about playing DADs (24/96 stereo DVD-Video discs). You cannot play the hi-rez tracks on most DVD-Audio discs on the 'NS500V. I say most because some DVD-Audio discs have a 24/96 stereo track on the DVD-Video layer.

3. Ben_wood

Thanks Keith,
    Yes, I meant the lower rez layer on DVD-As. (at least until I get an universal player.)

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ben, lower-resolution on DVD-Audio discs usually means Dolby Digital or DTS, which is not 24/96. Your system will have no problem with Dolby Digital or DTS. A 24/96 stereo track on the DVD-Video layer of a DVD-Audio disc is not exactly "lo-rez", as the stereo DVD-Audio track (on the DVD-Audio layer) is most often in 24/96.

I'm just looking for clarification on which tracks you are targeting here.

5. Ben_wood

Keith, I have ordered "Harvest" and read where it has a 96/24 track. When I get an universal player in the future will the Onkyo allow me to hear this DVD-A in all it's glory? One more comment/question: on my present system, to my ears at least; my DVD-As (even being limited to the dts and DD tracks) sound better than my SACDs. What could cause this? I do think that a couple of my SACDs are not of the highest quality (Toto IV and Journey Greatest Hits) but I do also have DSotM on SACD. Comments?