24 bit/96K CDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim_Stu, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Dec 27, 2001
    Even though I worked as 'Sound system engineer' in a past

life, after a 20 year vacation, I'm back trying to improve

my own modest HT systems.

As I understand it, CDs are recored with 16 bit words at

44KHz, and DVD sound tracks are 24 bit words at 96KHz.

My questions are:

1) What is the new (specs still in limbo) audio DVD?

2) What is a DVD compatible audio disk? The ones you can

buy now.

3) What is keeping the CD industry from simply converting

to stereo 24/96KHz?

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

Dec 13, 2001
    I'm no expert, but I'll take a stab at your questions anyways [​IMG] (someone please correct if I get anything wrong)
    1) For stereo it's 24/192kHz max, for 5.1ch it's 24/96kHz max. Finding 24/192kHz stereo recordings is difficult. Also don't forget SACD which is ways is a competitor to DVD-A, but does not use PCM encoding. Sound quality seems to be about comparable between the two, but is highly debatable (and often debated [​IMG] )
    2) I'm not sure exactly to what you are refering. DVD-A disks often include a DTS/DD audio track as well which by many accounts is worse than even CD audio due likely to compression and less than alot of care put into it. Most (all?) DVD players can play CDs as well. SACDs can (and often do) include a CD compatible layer which can be played in any standard CD player, including DVD players (at 16/44.1kHz, of course).
    3) Most likely space concerns: CDs can only hold so much data by simple specification. A standard CD can hold 74 minutes of 16/44.1kHz stereo; if that was 24/96kHz it could hold about 22 minutes of stereo audio, or 9 minutes of 5 channel audio. That would, of course, not be enough for many uses. Also new transports would likely be necessary, and bootleg concerns would be hightened. Anyways, since new players would be needed, at least, for the vast majority of cases why straddle yourself with the paltry data capacity of the standard CD? SACD and DVD-A were born from this, both using the higher density technoloty that was introduced with DVD-V, but in different ways. The differences between the two is the subject of much conversation, but for me it comes down to this: DVD-A's can be played at low quality on a standard DVD-V player, SACDs can be played at CD quality in any standard CD player, including DVD-V players. Both of those, of course, assume that the necessary compatibility layer is on the disk.
    Wow, that ended up longer than I indented... Hope it helps [​IMG]
    -- Dave
  3. Greg Robertson

Greg Robertson Stunt Coordinator

Mar 25, 1999

PatrickM Screenwriter

Aug 10, 2000