1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

24/96 Two Channel Digital out on DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert A. Willis Jr., Jul 8, 2001.

1. Robert A. Willis Jr.

Robert A. Willis Jr. Second Unit

Now that a few more DVD-A titles are coming out, does anyone have a list or know which titles have 24/96 two channel tracks. I recently upgraded my Pre to accept 24/96 digital inputs (my DVD player can output 24/96 digital) and have found that my DAD's sound better than the analog output of the player. A search of Ken Cranes (which seems to have the best indication of what encoding disks use) doesn't help. The "Audio only" DVD's are DAD's. There aren't many of those and I have purchased a significant portion of the DAD catalog.
    The listing for DVD-A's show 5.1, DTS and sometimes indicate 2 channel. The kicker is what form of 2 channel?
    I have queried Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct but haven't received an answer yet.
    Thanks.
    rw
    ------------------

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Robert,
    Most DVD-A's that have 2 channel tracks are 24/96. Some are not (I've seen some 24/88.2's out there) but most are. The Warner titles seem to be. I have the following:
    ELP: Brain Salad Surgery, Natalie Merchant: Tigerlily, Steely Dan: Two Against Nature and The Corrs: In Blue and all, I believe, have two channel 24/96 tracks along with the 5.1 24/96 tracks.
    However, with DVD-A discs you will not be able to use the digital out of your DVD-A player. You will have to use the 6 channel analog direct outputs into your 6 channel analog direct inputs of your receiver. For piracy reasons the digital out is not allowed as on DAD's.
    And, in order to utilize the full capabilities of a DVD-A disc you need to have a DVD-A player even though DVD-A discs will play on DVD-V only players but in DD or DTS mode.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection