24/96 Stereo via Digital Coax Connection?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by PhilBoy, Feb 13, 2004.

1. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I am able to play the stereo 24/96 audio track from A Night At The Opera DVD-A from a Toshiba SD3900 connected via digital coax only to a Yamaha HTR 5540.

The 5540 confirms a 96 Khz audio input...

I didn't think it was possible to have an advanced audio digital connection ???

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

IIRC, the players I own that support 24/96 have a disclaimer in the manual hat says 24/96 via digital is a function of copy protection on the disc. It says that some discs will be downcoverted to 16/48 (I think).

Also, isn't ANATO one of the few that has a 24/96 DTS track? Don't have it handy, but I don't remember what it has for a stereo track.

BGL

3. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

ANATO main menu audio options lists for DVD-V players either 24/96 DTS 5.1 or 24/96 Stereo PCM.

I only have a digital connection to my receiver.

The Yamaha shows PCM input f/s KHZ 96 ???

Sounds damn good, but all I have read tells me advanced resolution audio is analog only out ???

4. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

DTS 96/24 over the digital connection is normal and I believe some players indeed have the PCM 96KHz capability on the digital connection as Brian eludes to.

I have a Denon DVM-2815 which is DVD-A capable. The manual is written badly but there is an option to set LPCM output to 48KHz which I think is if your receiver cannot handle 96KHz but I'm not sure. The manual also has the disclaimer that the signal is downconverted to 48KHz for discs with copy protection regardless of the setting.

I think all this is telling me is the player IS capable of 96KHz PCM output if the disc allows and this output is over the digital connection.

Phil, I'll try my ANATO tonight and see what happens with PCM.

Thanks

N

5. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

The receiver indicates that it IS receiving a PCM 96 khz signal...

That is what is confusing me.

If the 3900 was downconverting wouldn't the receiver indicate 48 khz ?

6. Neil White

Phil,

I think the point is, in this case the player is not downconverting it meaning the disc is not copy protected.

I just re-read the literature on my receiver and it says it can handle 24/192 stereo PCM! Now I didn't think 24/192 was output from any player right now but I could be wrong. Furthermore, it has 24/192 DACs on all channels. Must be for some furture proofing as I can't think for the life of me how that would get used right now.

N

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

This is what my Denon 1600 manual says on the matter. Note that this paragraph appears after the table that describes the downconversion options:

"Signals are downsampled to either 48kHz or 44.1kHz despite the above settings if they have a sampling frequency of 176.4kHz or more or are copy protected".

They key here is "or are copy protected". So, ANATO would appear to not have the 24/96 PCM stereo track copy protected. And, your receiver is able to decode a 24/96 source.

Don't worry, be happy!

BGL

8. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

What, me worry ?...

I think it's great !

I wonder what other DVD-A titles there are that do not have copy protection on the 24/96 stereo tracks ?

9. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

IF the maker of a dvd-audio wants to, their disc can have copy protection either in the form of digital watermarking, downsampling or completely shutting off the player's digital outputs altogether.

If I'm not mistaken, what you can't do with conventional digital outputs (optical and coaxial) is send a multichannel PCM signal through them--physically speaking, they just cannot handle that much data all at one time.

And the stereo 192kHz/24bit PCM format via standard digital outputs? I have no idea. John Kotches, are you out there somewhere.......? [​IMG]

LJ

10. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

DTS 96/24 is a misnomer. It's actually a 16bit format with extra bits that decode to 24bit (sort of like HDCD). It's confusing.

If you don't have a DTS 96/24 enabled receiver it decodes to the same old DTS fullbitrate track.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

24/96 via coax is nothing new. There was an old DVD-V format called the Digital Audio Disc (DAD) that a few record labels supported, like Chesky. Pioneer players have supported this for years, and most if not all current receivers and pre/pros should be able to accept it. It's cool that *some* DVD-A discs will pass this format too.

12. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

It sure would perk up sales of DVD-A if more discs supported it...

I think that by making (at least a sampling) of Hi Res available to more people with 'standard' HT equipment, the medium would fly.

13. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

FWIW, my 1600 clearly says that this will be downconverted regardless of whether or not it is copy protected.

Which leads me to wonder if there are any players that will send it out the normal digital out and if there are any receivers or pre/pros that can decode it.

BGL

14. Neil White

Brian, per my post, my Denon receiver apparently can decode PCM Stereo 192/24. I just don't believe there are any players than can send this right now.

Phil, I said I would try my copy of ANATO. Well I did and it just gets more interesting. With my Denon DVD player set to allow 96/24 PCM (if the disc does), the receiver is only getting 48KHz over the digital connection! So, in my case, the disc appears to have copy protection and the player is down-sampling to 48KHz. I wonder why your set-up is not. I get the DTS 96/24 just fine but only 48KHz on the PCM track.

N

15. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well, my receiver (NAD 762) does not tell me what its getting, so while the ANATO 24/96 track does play via my digital connection, I have no way to know if its been down converted (rats!).

And just for an additional data point, I have a couple of the Chesky 24/96 DAD discs. When I played one (Sara K) on my Denon via digital to the NAD, I get sound but its distorted and crackling. Not sure what THAT means, and I didn't have time to try another player and DAD disc.

The title in question does play fine via the analog outs of my Pio 45a.

BGL

16. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Hey Kevin B: the DAD format isn't dead yet! [​IMG] Because Classic Records still sells them. In fact they are now selling what they call an "HDAD"--this disc has stereo 96/24 on the dvd-video side (as with regular DADs) and on the new dvd-audio side there is now a 192/24 stereo track.

Read about DADs on their website, Classicrecs.com and their new HDAD here.

FYI: most professionals consider formats that use 88.2kHz sampling or faster to be "hi-res".

LJ

17. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have Alan Parsons "I Robot" on the way from Elusive Disc.

BGL

18. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

Neil,

My 5540 wouldn't fib to me now, would it ? [​IMG]

When I play DVD-V discs that state 48 khz, the receiver shows 48.

I tried ANATO again and it says 96.

19. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Lance- Cool! [​IMG]

20. Neil White

Phil, I guess your player is defeating the copy protection somehow or maybe there are some pressings of the ANATO disc out there without it.

N