24"-27" Sony Wega or Panasonic Tau PureFlat?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by stephen_z, Jun 29, 2002.

1. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

My 15 yr old 25" Sony XBR just died, and I just want a plain old analog set to fill the gap until I go to HDTV next year... any suggestions? I've been looking at Sony Wega's and Panasonic Tau Pure Flat, but I've seen some of the horror stories about poor geometry on flat screen TV's (there's also some comments on pink edge banding on the Sonys). Any comments on the merits or deficiencies of current flat screens vs curved tubes are welcome. Is it still an issue with the new Wega's (KV__FV300)?

2. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

i compared and contrasted the 27" wega and tao for what seemed like a million years. the picture on the panasonic seemed so much better. colors were more natural and everything was crystal clear. no matter what i did with the picture on the wega i could not get it to look as good as the panasonic. but i actually went with the wega because at that time it was panansonics first model year with flat screens. the wega was around for 4 years before that. when i got the wega home i new i mada a mistake. the picture just wasn't sharp and the sound that came from the speakers was awfull. granted a usually listen to it through my ht setup, but when i'm lazy i just listen to it through the sets speakers. i would literally have to turn it up half way to get a decent sound. needless to say i returned it after a week and got the panasonic. i have been very happy with the tao ever since. that was about a year and a half ago. a lot of people mention the 16X9 mode on the the sony as being a great feature. a 27" tv is not a big tv in todays world anymore. that 16x9 mode made a small tv even smaller. the sony's remote is enormous too. had to be the worst tv remote i ever encountered, panasonic has a great easy remote. (this is a minor gripe though) anyway, good luck on whichever you choose. try to look at them side by side and see which one your eyes like the most.

3. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response Evan!
    I pulled the trigger on the Panasonic... waiting for delivery as I speak. Turned out to be an easier decision than I planned...the CT27SX12 fits my girlfriend's entertainment center whereas the Sony 27"ers do not. I would have to go down in tube size (I don't think so). And besides, it's a great picture and costs less!!