24" 16:9 Computer Monitor FS and Viewsonic 22"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lawrence F, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Lawrence F

Lawrence F Stunt Coordinator

Compaq P1610 which is a rebadged Sony GDM-W900.

The P1610 has a 22.5-inch viewable image size but uses a 16:10 aspect ratio rather than the more square design of other monitors. HDTV ready as well. Superb CAD monitor. Unsure of value but thinking $825 plus shipping. Has had very little use.

Reinforcing the old axiom that bigger is better, the Sony GDM-W900 represents the best in desktop-monitor technology. Its 16:10 aspect ratio and magnificent color fidelity usher in a new class of high-end displays. The 16:9 aspect ratio of most vendors' so-called two-page displays (measuring 19, 20, and 21 inches diagonally) rarely allows full-size viewing of those two pages. The GDM-W900, on the other hand, offers true two-page display area–an unbeatable benefit for those involved in prepress or high-end graphics, or who simply require the space of two monitors side by side. Sony also bundles LightSource's ColorTron Color System for calibration and color matching, creating a total package designed with high-end color in mind. As you might expect, the GDM-W900 isn't cheap. At an estimated price of $4999, it's well outside the impulse zone for most users.

The GDM-W900's primary benefit is space–and lots of it. The monitor measures 24 inches diagonally, with a viewable image size of 22 inches, and supports resolutions from 640 by 480 up to 1920 by 1200. The GDM-W900's wider aspect ratio enables a true two-page display– full-size viewing of two 8.5-by-11-inch documents, with space left over for your application interface. Best of all, the GDM-W900 extends your desktop without requiring an extension to your desk: it's just slightly wider and deeper than a standard 21-inch display.

To evaluate the GDM-W900, I viewed standard Macworld Lab test images. The GDM-W900's color fidelity, brightness, and contrast were stunning, and its crisp images simulated the appearance of a transparency on a light box. Sony employs a blue filter, which it claims is responsible for the increase in color fidelity and contrast. The display looked bright and crisp without appearing washed-out. Text appeared crisp and graphics maintained outstanding color and contrast on the two-page QuarkXPress test image, and I was delighted at the ability to display the spread full-size.

Viewsonic PF815

MINT condition with warranty left. $500

The PF815 is a 22" monitor with a full 20" viewing area based on an extremely flat aperture-grille CRT with a dot pitch of 0.25mm in the center and 0.27mm at the corners.
    The ViewSonic PF815 has a vertical scanning frequency range of 30–117KHz and a horizontal range of 50–180Hz. Combined with the 300MHz dot clock, these ranges provide display resolutions of up to 1920X1440 at 75Hz. Both BNC and mini D-sub connectors are available, but there is no USB support (coming in Q2). The PF815 is covered by a standard three-year warranty (48-hour replacement coverage is optional). A CD-ROM of screen savers and software control programs ships with the monitor. Five buttons on the lower front bezel of the monitor include a power switch, up, down, 1, and 2. The latter two but-tons serve to access the multilevel on-screen menu system, which includes a full complement of monitor adjustments along with several extras. Among these extras are corner purity, zoom, and a quadrant geometry adjustment feature called hooking.

The ViewSonic PF815 generates a very pleasing display and turned in perfect scores during our benchmark tests. A miniscule amount of misconvergence appeared on one corner of the display, but not enough to notice without magnification. Color purity was about as perfect as it can get. This is a very impressive monitor at a very good price. Even a year ago, who would have thought you could get this monitor for less than $1,000? You'll find no complaints here. Highly Recommended.

2. Lawrence F

Lawrence F Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]

3. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

Very nice monitors - I would seriously consider the Viewsonic however I just got a 21" Trinitron. You should consider posting this on other forums - maybe Anandtech's FS/FT section or the like - probably get more responses there.

4. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Also I must say those are some seriously nice monitors. I own a Sony 21" and the only reason I will sell this is when I get that Dell 20" Flat Panel I have been looking at so that I can get some desktop space back. The Sony monitor would especially go fast if you can find somone in design.

KyleS

5. Adam Krogul

Adam Krogul Stunt Coordinator

i must say i own the sony gdm-w900 monitor that you say your compaq is, and if it is a rebadge then i can only give high remarks for this fine peice of equipment. you have never seen a "real" computer monitor until you see a 2304x1440 @80 Hz resolution. the sony monitor retails at 2k but luckly last year dell was having a closeout and i got 20% off. one thing to keep in mind about this beast is that it weights 93 pounds...