24 - 1/8/02

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Pretty interesting 7th episode/hour.

Spoilers will be freely discussed below:

Pretty smart move on Jack's part to put a flack jacket on Nina when he was forced to shoot her. Good acting from Jack to try and convince the bad guy that he's shook up from having to murder Nina to save his family.

Is anyone else thinking that the guy in CTU who's been seeing Nina will wind up being the "straight up" guy and saves the day for Jack at the end?

Jamie has now been revealed as the mole inside CTU (that how the bad guy has patched into their camera system). Jack has to realize there's a mole, and that only a few would know how to patch into the camera system, thus I think he'll have a narrow list of suspects. Now we have to wonder how did Jamie get Jack's superior Richard Walsh's trust (the one who was shot - though we don't know if he's "really dead"). I think this does mean that Walsh is in on the thing from the beginning.

If Jamie was the mole, why didn't she switch the card earlier? That doesn't really make sense either. It's true she was "stone-walling" by being ineffective, enough to bring in the contractor. Perhaps Jamie had to options at the time.

Poor Teri, doing a pretty stupid thing once she knocked up The Sentinel (Why didn't she just high tail on the road and just get to a place of safety insted of hanging letting the bad guys dispatch the goon squad to pick her up).

What the hell was Kimberly thinking also. She should have gotten out, and then got help. This was part of the writing that didn't make any sense, except to keep the characters in more perilous situations then they had to be. But I guess if you have 17 hours to go, you need more filler story. Oh yeah, Kimberly is a hottie.

I really could care less about Sen. Palmer's storyline. Sort of tired of the political skeletons in the closet stories.

I'm thinking the bad guy is actually using Jack as a high profile assassin/divertion, and when everyone's attention is on Jack, the fake photographer will do the real hit on Palmer.

2. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    It looks from the previews like the Palmer hit attempt will come in the next hour. The fake photog getting "into character" & Jack requesting clearance to the morning news conference all back this up.

So that leaves 16 hours to go...

One of the key things I've read about this show in a review was that it's all about misdirection. I'm now convinced that the Palmer hit is either a diversion or a part of something much bigger which we don't know about yet. Patrick, I'm with you, Walsh is not dead and is a big part of this.

4. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

Anyone remember if they've revealed the occupation of Jack's wife, Terri? She handled herself pretty well against the Sentinel. Maybe there's more to her than meets the eye?

5. David Oliver

David Oliver Second Unit

I think Kimberly was thinking that they might kill her mother if they found her missing and that was why she couldn't leave.

Good episode.

6. Sean Cauley

Sean Cauley Stunt Coordinator

I'm still unsure about Walsh. I had been thinking that he wasn't dead (the way Jack told Nina, "Richard Walsh is dead. I saw him die!" seemed like a good "previously on 24 for an episode where he would be revealed to be alive), was crooked, and had Jamie for an accomplice (hence his suggestion that she was the only one Jack could trust).

However, if Walsh was in on it, why give Jack the keycard at all? Walsh was alone with the other agent (Broyles? Boyle? Something else entirely?) when he received the card, so no one would have to know if he'd just trashed it. And last night's episode would indicate that the card the CTU team was trying to crack was a legitimate clue to the terrorists (or else Gaines probably wouldn't bother to have Jack switch it out). Even if Walsh knew that Jamie would be smart enough to stall on the analysis, it would seem risky to give Jack the card if Walsh knew it was a clue.

Another thing that might help Jack figure out about Jamie is the fact that Gaines planted a new card in the car he made Jack drive, so he must know that that was the CTU's best evidence against him. The only CTU'ers who should know about the card are Jack, Jamie and Nina. And I think Nina's afraid-for-her-life rant about Jack's loyalties should be a pretty big clue to him that she can be trusted.

Can't wait until next week!

7. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

If you've read this far, must I really warn you about the spoilers below?

Patrick, IMHO Teri did not flee because she was not thinking straight. Remember, she is not an agent...she is a mother desperately trying to find her kidnapped daughter. As for Kimberly, I agree that she felt her mother's life would be jeopardized if she left. Also note how she seems more even-tempered now that she has had time to deal with the situation she's in while her mother was freaking out.

I agree that there's something bigger going on here. I've been confused about the need to use Jack. At first I thought it was to throw off the CTU. After all, there was a leak, and it led to a card being placed into Walsh's possession who then gave it to Jack. IMHO Walsh is indeed dead. Why else would he have given Jack a card that the terrorists clearly wanted back. We'll see if Jack's participation is a diversion or a frame-job.

Anyway, my wife and I really enjoy this show. We look forward to it every week.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Hey, you all didn't use spoiler boxes! You ruined the show for me! [​IMG]
    Man, I absolutely love this show. It's by far my favorite non-comedy, especially now that I gave up on X-Files and Eneterprise isn't all that great. I have to record on Tivo and start watching later so that I don't have to sit through the commercials. The show flows much better without them. I also turn down the lights and put everything aside (I usually am doing a bunch of other things while the TV is on). It's like a 42 minute movie every Tuesday.
    If the daughter would have escaped, they probably wouldn't have killed her mother, since they still need a hostage in order to convince Jack to do what they want.
    Why do they need Jack? They went out of their way on this show to let us know that he is the only honest, uncorruptible guy in CTU. Combine that with his skill and dedication, and he needs to be put in a position where he can't foil them. If they want to lay the blame on him for the assassination, he already has enough enemies inside the force who hate him for ratting out other agents in the past.
    I personally like the political skeleton closet angle. I think part of it is because I so desperately wish for a man like Palmer to actually be a senator. His son's actions have also been missing from all the discussions of the show I've seen. Could it be that the assassination has something to do with that? If there is an assassination attempt on a black presidential candidate, most people would guess that the killer had some racist or extreme political motivation. The assassins in the show could use that to their advantage to misdirect people.
    Here's another remote possibility: Jack Bauer could be the dirty agent. He got so bitter after being treated like crap for doing what was right (exposing dirty agents), that he lost all faith in the agency and worked for other goals. If this show is truly about misdirection, wouldn't this be the ultimate misdirection?
    I know, I know, I'm getting silly here, but it's fun to think about.

9. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Actually, since time passes during the commercials, I've found myself watching it live most weeks. It just feels right.

Also, I've noticed the past few episodes while comparing the counter on Replay and the times that flash on-screen that they seem to be fudging the real-time aspect a little bit. Not much, true, but I notice that the difference between on-screen time elapsed and off-screen time elapsed can vary by up to a minute during an act. They also seem to be using fewer split-screens and they're not saying "Events occur in real time" during the open any more.

11. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

12. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

What a fantastic show! Kiefer Sutherland's acting has been suberb so far!

I think that Jack intentionally took the gun to Nina in his office, knowing that he was being videotaped and knowing that someone else would see it. And, by putting the bulletproof jacket on Nina, he was effectively saying "I'm bugged and being forced to do this." So when Nina's boyfriend (or whatever he is) saw the tape, he knew immediately what was going on.

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

14. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Something else to thinka bout. Jack in his office ripped up the note he was writing when nina came in. But then he started writing underneath another sheet of paper. Maybe to tell them whats going on. This show gets more intresting all the time

capt

15. BrandonL

BrandonL Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if somehow the person that raped the daughter that the senator's son killed is related to the main bad guy in some way, sort of like Die Hard. Also i could easily see Jack as being a bad guy at the end of all of this. Whatever happened to the girl that was in the beginning that blew up the plane?

16. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

17. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

18. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

D'oh! You're right, Larry. I don't know what I was on when I wrote that...

19. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

20. Jim DiJoseph

Jim DiJoseph Second Unit

Ken, I believe the guy that was following Jack got out of the car to look down the cliff and confirm that she was dead. He was probably carrying/wearing a small camera.