What's new

24 04/2/02 (1 Viewer)

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
I've decided that my principle problem with the current writing of 24 centers around a larger issue than either misogyny or soap opera plot twists.
The series has been constructed to keep several characters (Jack, Nina, Tony, Teri, Kim, Sen. Palmer, & the principle bad guy - first Gaines, now the Drazens) highly visible in every episode and others (Mrs. Palmer, Keith, CTU rotating-boss-of-the-hour, Rick, & Milo) in nearly every episode. This storytelling choice is what has forced them to jump through writing hoops to keep the characters in peril during every hour of this fictional day. Teri & Kim should both be tucked away safely in a bed somewhere sleeping it off, but the decision to give them something to do through the whole day now has them both in harm's way again. There wouldn't be any need to have Kim repeatedly make stupid decisions if the show's creators would just have allowed her character to fade out of the central plot line. Let her take a nice hot bubble bath or something - I guarantee the ratings wouldn't drop. ;)
Similarly, the whole "arguing about Keith Palmer" plotline has gotten very tiresome. [begin] - "I'm going to tell." - "No you aren't" - "Yes I am." - "What about Keith?" [goto begin] This should have played itself out hours ago. This is the day of the primary - shouldn't Sen. Palmer be out shaking hands and kissing babies instead of continuing to argue with his wife? This whole subplot has been like a neverending tennis match because they seem to need a reason to keep Mrs. Palmer and Keith on screen.
The core character group should have been Jack, Sen. Palmer, and an antagonist. Everybody else should only have been involved when those three characters needed someone to interact with. By stretching the core group to seven, they've only managed to make the viewers sick of four of the characters.
Well, at least that's my opinion this week. :)
Brad

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
teri will live, either david, his wife in a fight, or kieth will die before the season is over. also, what do you think the biggest surprise was. for me it was either that alan york was dead, or that kim almost died in the car accident.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Well, I don't know about "biggest" surprise, but my "favorite" surprise so far was Palmer pulling the real audio tape out of his shirt pocket...oh, that's gotta hurt the big russian...

Mike, I still contend that all the females in the show are poorly written. I humbly disagree with your view of Jack. His character has been perfectly written so far, IMHO. Yes, he was alerted to the suicide of the wife of an agent he turned in, but you have to look at the big picture. After a brief pause, he returned to the matter at hand - specifically, flushing out the men who want him and his family dead. Nothing else should matter at this point. He has a reason to act callous - the women, on the other hand, haven't sufficient reason to continue acting stupidly.

And before someone brings up the trauma angle, just remember that the women who are experiencing these difficulties have had plenty of time to have moments of lucidity and make the right decision. And then there are the other women who are professionals and who still act like idiots. Nina practically proved that there was a man at the hospital falsely posing as an FBI agent. She chose not to alert anyone. Now look: all the CTU agents at the safe house are dead, and Teri and Kim are in danger once again...whatever.

Must...stop...bashing...show.........still...very. ..good...!

Is Kim EVER going to ask about her best friend, who she last saw being left for dead in the middle of the street?

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
Good question, chuck.

Her best friend and her best friend's dad are dead. I'm guessing the mom is too. She never once asked her mother about that.

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
well they can never find out unless they go back to the hospital because victor drassen killed the phony alan york

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks