What's new

230L Sealed tempest to Ported (1 Viewer)

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
How much more output will i get if i convert my sealed box to a dual port box?? And what would i tune a 230L box too?? Thanks.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
You can get I would say as much as 7-8 dB more at 20 Hz. This is just going off memory, but I have modeled the Tempest more times than I can count. :) As to what frequency you should tune the box, that's completely your choice. I don't have a Tempest, but a Dayton Quatro 15", which models within a gnat's eyelash of the Tempest, just has less Xmax.

Anyhow, I have mine in about a 270l enclosure tuned to 11 Hz. Why? I felt the slow rolloff would be complemented by room gain and produce a flatter response than if I designed the box to be flat to 20Hz without room gain. It also pushes the peak port air speed frequency and group delay peak below the audible range, so in terms of sound quality, my box sounds extremely close a sealed version. If you want the most output, you typically tune to the Fs, which I think in this case is 19 or 20Hz, right? If memory serves, 230l is a bit larger than optimum for that woofer, so you may want to tune slightly lower, say 18Hz, or you could end up with a hump in the response around the tuning frequency.

Aaron Gilbert

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
That's pretty impressive for "just going off memory". I modelled it in WinISD pro and it does look like tuning to 18Hz with a 225L box (assume ~5 liters for the port) does indeed give you a good compromise between output, extension and rolloff. That gains about 3dB at 35Hz and about 5dB at 20Hz over the 230L sealed model.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
thats a pretty impressive gain just for porting, does the sound of the woofer change much goin to ported??

TimForman

Supporting Actor
You're discussing something pretty close to the Adire Alignment enclosure for the Tempest. It's a 215 liter enclosure using 2-3" ports and tuned to ~18Hz. Great for HT.

Benihana

Stunt Coordinator
isn't the adire alignment tuned to 15.4hz, which is better that or 18hz?? Is there anything wrong with ported the box on the top of the cabinet instead of on the bottom? Thx. And will those 2 3" ports give off port noise? Thanks.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
Yep, guess my memory is not as good as others. I've not detected any port noise using 2 of the 3" Precision Ports. And no, it doesn't matter if it's ported on top or bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks