What's new

222ES owners - noisy disc pick up? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I am curious to hear from other owners if the disc pick up mechanism seems unusually noisy to you or if the unit I purhcased used has a problem? It is quite a bit louder than most other players I've heard or owned. All other aspects seem normal (playback, tray, carousel) if not quiet.

Thanks.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
John,
The 222ES is my first changer. I don't feel that is especially load for disc change or pick up. Perhaps you could go to a local store to compare one?

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Yes the 222 has more drawer noise then the average CD.
It makes my 80ES sound like a mouse.
My 222 has been this way from the start.
This was discussed at length some time ago back in early 02.

It's still a great player :emoji_thumbsup:
I hope the new Sony 400 disk DVD+SACD changers sound as good well they make it to market.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I had a Marantz CC4000 and my current/previous one is a 70ES, both of which are fairly quiet in this respect, which is why I felt the need to ask. I was planning on dropping by a local shop that has the 222 in stock still, but wanted to see if others said this was how their players were when new. :)

I did a search on the 222 to see if this was discussed (a LOT of threads came up), but did not go back so far, once I saw the number of threads.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
John, I owned the same marantz and now I have the 222es, the marantz is the quietest CD player ever !!...The 222es is a bit on the noisey side...but it plays great :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I don't understand why it has to be so damned loud - makers aren't supposed to go backwards when introducing new products (especially for the ES line). It makes the disc shuffle intolerable for me, but I still like the player for its sonic (playback) qualities.

I had a Marantz CC3000 briefly when I was looking for a changer. It had a fantastic, quiet mechanism, but relatively poor CD playback quality.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was not impressed with the sound quality of this particular generation of Marantz players either, granted these are not their top of the line of players. My 4000 acutally died after just 6 months. :thumbsdown: Based on that and the less than stellar sound, I chose not to have it replaced with the same model, and I went with the 70ES instead.

I'm very happy with the 222 in terms of playback, both redbook and SA. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
How would you compare the redbook playback of the 222ES compared to the 70ES? Do you use Digital or Analogue out?

I use the Analogue out to my Marantz SR6200.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It is a tough call, but I'd have to say the 222 is better with redbook playback via analog (7ch direct). The difference seemed only slight to me, but it is still there. Likely the DACs are simply better in the 222.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
John,

Yes, All of the Sony SACD changers appear to be on the noisy side (Many here have said the SCD-C555es is just as noisy). Don't worry though, you'll get used to it. I am very happy with its performance with SACD and redbook. I won't have multi-channel capability until my Denon 2900 arrives as My Denon 1600 is utilizing the multi-channel inputs on the receiver and I never bothered to go the switcher route since I only had a few multi-channel SACD's.

Reg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks