220v to 110v

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Demaree, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

Is there a 'power strip' (for lack of a better term) that plugs into a 220v outlet and outputs multiple 110v receptacles? I have a 220v outlet near my equipment and thought ....hmmmm, more current. [​IMG]

2. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

One of the 19" computer racks from HP at a client of mine has exactly that built in. I'm trying to find a way to get the power-strip without the rack attached.
    I asked a general question about the exact same thing in another forum and the best the people could come up with there was to find a balanced line conditioner - the cheapest one I could find that would take the 220v was $5K which is way more than I want to spend.

3. Michael Johnston

Michael Johnston Stunt Coordinator

What about hiring an electrician to rewire it?
    ------------------

4. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

In my case, the house is a rental, so that's not an option.

5. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator

Depending on how electrically and mechanically inclined you are you could build one. If you'll send me an email and tell me what the 220v plug looks like and what amperage the 220 breaker is, I will advise you how to go about it. You can make a small one for about $20 to $30. They're not that hard to make. I use to make them all the time for equipment racks for a pro sound company. My email address: [email protected]
    Derrick
    ------------------

6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I suggest u go find what they call a "step-down" transformer which has 220 input ouputting 110v. I had tried to find some of these before but have yet to find one that isn't expensive. Making one as the post above would be more prudent if ur up to it.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

7. Derrick G

Derrick G Stunt Coordinator