What's new

$2150 SVS PB-12 ULTRA /2 vs $950 HSU VTF-3HO: First Hand at CES: Guess What! (1 Viewer)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Peter: I'm sure the HSU VTF-3HO is a very fine sub, and I consider HSU one of the few
subwoofer companies that is a worthy competitor for SVS, offering excellent performance
for a reasonable price. :) There aren't too many other subwoofer makers out there that
can really claim that.

When it comes to those that are really big into action movies, and that would be most of us
here, I'd guess, then having the sub be able to play unusually low and very loud while doing
so is of special importance to hearing the soundtrack fully in these intense action movies.
And all the while still maintaining low distortion (I was referring to THD when the sub
is really cranking out high volumes at, say, 20 Hz), so the sound remains clean and accurate,
even during the most challenging moments in the movie.

When it comes to subwoofers, measurements turn out to be of particular importance, or else
how are you to know if the sub can deliver what the movie is calling for at a given volume
setting relative to RL? On the other hand, I certainly have nothing against subjective
impressions. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you like. If you like the way
a certain subwoofer sounds when you watch movies or listen to music over the way another
subwoofer sounds, then that's all that really matters. And as long as it's stated as what
it is, a subjective personal preference, then I don't think anyone will have a big problem
with that. It's when we start to get into statements of objective superior performance
in particular movies of one subwoofer over another that the debates begin. :)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Shane

It would be great if Ed Mullen gets the nod from all the parties who must agree if he is to do a formal test of the '3HO. IF all the parties agree, we would not see anything soon. Ed has numerous other subs in the pipeline to be tested.

I can tell you for a fact that no such agreement is in place at this time.

As far as other guys like Ed, well, for anyone interested in saving as much as $250, Craig over at AVS has a bunch of new testing equipment and will be one of the first to do INDOOR testing. For comparison he has dual PB-12 Ultras and a Velodyne DD-18, to compare to the dual '3HOs that he should be getting in about 4 weeks.

You should know that I personally tried to arrange for Ed to test the venerable Hsu TN 1220 but at that time all parties were not in agreement. Perhaps times have changed...

In the mean time, by all means, pass this one up for now. Then, when the pre-order period is over and the reviews come in, you might as well pay $350 more for a PB12-Ultra,compared to the $950 pre-order price for the '3HO + Turbo.

By all means DO NOT allow the fact that you would not have to make up your mind till March or April persuade you to pre-order.

And I am sure that the AH writer simply made up his report. Feeling the suite shaking from the street never happened.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
"X" sub gets really loud according to an SPL meter.

"Y" sub can shake pictures off the wall.

"Z" sub goes super deep on a spectrum analyzer.

But what do such subwoofers SOUND like?

I'm definitely not some anti-objectivist audio voodoo nut, but jeez........

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Ya know... If you have an HSU sub you have a good sub. If you have an SVS sub you have a good sub so whats the big deal. let your ears decide and be happy as the both win to certain folks....

Peter Marcks

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the kind words, Lee, I appreciate your comments.

Most commercial subwoofers that are ported tend to be limited by porting in the low bass. There is only so much port cross-sectional area that is available for use in the very low frequencies based on port length and enclosure size limits.

Being able to double the port cross-sectional area in the 16Hz tune with turbocharger versus port plugging will make a noticeable difference, objectively or subjectively. Now we can move as much low turbulent air as two of the subwoofers without turbocharger, which is very nice.

Sincerely,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks