What's new

21" Stands for JBL S26's.... (1 Viewer)

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if wrong forum, did not see a perfect fit for the question, and I know at the very least Phil will probably chime in! :D

I need to get my S26II mains down to the proper level finally (been on the TV, dont ask!) and I have determined 21-22" is about right, that will get the tweeter to 36", about our seated ear height. They will need to be spiked, this is a carpeted room. (new stuff soon)

The speakers weigh 22lbs each, and measure 10"x10" at the base. I have among my 4 boys a 3yr old, so the stands should be sturdy. I think I prefer wood, but am open to options. They must be affordable....wife it nuts over my recent expenditures! (and I stll need to get my new receiver! LOL!)

I have found these from Tech-Craft...really don't know anything about them except they are rated to 50lbs and are 7 1/2 square on the top.

http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/...htm#additional

Most stands seem to be for those wimpy waf cubes, though I have seen plenty that look sturdy/big enough in pictures, but the sites rarely mention weight capacity. Doh!

Any input is welcome as usuall! Thanks!!!!!

Dean_S

Second Unit
I suggest metal stands with blu-tack to couple the speaker to the stand (so the kiddies can't easily knock them off). I use Lovan Ballet II stands and find them extremely sturdy and reasonably priced (as far as good stands go) at $200/pr. Regardless of what stands you choose get some Blu-tack for coupling. Audioadvisor.com sells Blu-tack and many different stands. Look on their closeout pages for some better deals.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...=240-744&DID=7

They are 24" stands, but I measured mine with the spikes and they are 26". Your speakers don't need to be EXACTLY XXX measurement, within an inch or two will still work, and IMO, they should be higher rather than lower. These things weigh 26lbs each (without filling)! They also have an 18" stand that will likely end up about 20" with the spikes.

I definitley prefer metal over wood stands, unless the wood is sand filled.

You just missed out on their best deal though, they had these last week on clearance for $75!

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I have Jbl 26's as my mains and they are on 24" stands. This puts them at a very good level.

Greg

Rob Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I was looking at getting a pair of those Part Express stands for my speakers too. Dang, can't believe I missed the deal. Do you put something underneth the spikes to protect the carpet/wood floor?

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys!

Change of plans for now, I think I'll be placing them sideways on some cool small Equipment Towers I actually found at Walmart. (no I don't shop there, but it looked interesting in the ad...turns out they match my Silver Philips RPTV perfect!) I put one together last night, and if I lay one on the top shelf it's the perfect height.

One of the problems I have is room, If I use stands then one will site right in front of the Equipment Tower. Using this to hold the speaker fixes that, and looks pretty sweet.

What I need to know is what is the vertical sound dispersion angle for the tweeter. I know they focus it horizontally, If I lay them down I'll lose some of that, I want to work out how much.

Maybe Phil will know? Phil?

Thanks!

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Hey John, ... the following is directly copied from JBL TEC Award Winning LSR Studio Monitor's website about the Elliptical Oblate Spheroidal (EOS™) waveguide used on the JBL N-, E- & S-Serie speakers, ...

So, by laying if flat, just turn the numbers around. Should not be a problem if your speakers are spaced within 6-1/2' between each other.

Hope this helps,
Phil

John Tami

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Phil!

I'll measure the width and take the 6.5' measurment into account.(will determine whether the tweeters are inside or outside relative to the TV) Basically I have a 55" Philips HD RPTV (16x9 of course) and these small 3 shelf (glass plus wood top 4th shelf) towers will sit next too (as tight as possible with out touching) the TV. The primary seating is 13' from the TV.

Another problem is my SVS, it sits in that r/h corner next to the TV. I plan on moving it behind my seat when I replace the carpet.(due to cabling) Looks like I'll be doing that sooner.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I would if I had wood floors, but I don't worry about it with the carpet. As mentioned, and especially if you have little kids, Blu-tac is great.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Get a center punch and pound a little spot on one side of the penny to keep them from sliding out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks