What's new

21" LCD for my moms bedroom (1 Viewer)

Been awhile (since the Back to the Future DVD scandal). My mom is moving Monday/Tuesday and is donating her two TV's (both 21") one being a 1989 Hitachi mono with tube in perfect shape (been on Startchoice since 1999 now she will be with Shaw), and the other a 1993 Toshiba with the image going to a white haze sometimes so tabbing side fixes it.

I personally think a 10-15 year span is reassonable (esp since the cable box does all the work) for a TV to last. I think all her shows are in SD and not HD (oh wait Isn't CTV, Global going to be HD for there morning news soon or already are?). She also likes to watch BBC Canada, TLC, HGTV. I personally think she should keep the Hitachi since it's going to last along time and HDTV just isn't there yet. She said she saw a LCD@Costco for $300 CDN (uh). So what LCD should she get that's going to last the next 10 years? I think it should have bare min 2 HDMI ports (Cable box once Shaw offers a none $800 cable box with HDMI), DVD player, but I think 3 is the real min (AppleTV, video camera, etc), also a DVI for her MacBook (all Macs we are :D ).

Should she look for a built in tuner? She is watching DL.TV's HD Special tonight (made her download it) and I think OTA is the far better option personally (we are in Vancouver BC).

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Keep in mind that an HDTV has a different aspect ratio than her old tube. If most of her viewing is SDTV, then her existing 21" tube is equivalent to a 26" HDTV. At very least I would purchase a 23" set.

Calculator: Link Removed

There are no TV's in this size range with 3 HDMI inputs, to my knowledge.

I would probably lean towards a Samsung 41D or 51D Series model. Price range for 23" and 26" sets is CAD$600-$1000.

But quite honestly, she could purchase a 27" Toshiba 4:3 tube for under CAD$350. This may make more sense considering her viewing habits are primarily SD, and that this set will be in the bedroom not the living room. The only drawback here is that Toshiba now outsources their tube sets, so I can't guarantee the set will last her 10 years. But for this price, this shouldn't be a huge concern.

I am thinking 3 HDMI to cover all basis for the life of the TV. The reason she is donating her old Hitachi is so she can haver a LCD/thin TV. She has an Apple 20" Cinema widescreen and she says that that is a ok screen. The guy in Costco when she was there said Samsung is the leader and I brushed it off as sales talk trying to sell the more expensive stuff.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Yes, Samsung was the market leader globally in LCD sales for 2006. It's my opinion that Samsung makes the best 19" - 26" LCD's on the market. Above 32" I would purchase a Sharp or Sony.

In any case, you aren't likely to find a small HDTV with 3 HDMI inputs. But I don't know many people with three HD sources in the bedroom, except for those with video game consoles.

Most electronics become quite dated in a 10-year period, so I would just purchase the best you can find within a reasonable budget. As a reference, I have two Samsung LCD's which are going strong after 6 years (but computer monitors), and I fully expect both to last several more years.

Well she wants a Sub-$300 TV. Sounds like she doesn't care if she has to replace it in 3 years or if it's SD so how about a SD 21 LCD TV and use it with the new All Digital Shaw box that she has ordered for her cable install next week (DCT700)?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
The LCD she saw at Costco for under $300 is a 15" Daytek. She'll need to spend over $500 to get a 21" - 27" LCD.

Would that be same for Richmond and Victoria (since she is still on-line she may have seen it at the Victoria one (beside the Futureshop and staples).

On Tuesday she bought a Panasonic 32" LCD HDTV for $999 and since her friend said this place had the lowest prices was the lowest price. Main and 32nd or 36th. 2HDMI ports, 1 Comonent, 3-5 composite, and she bought the Shaw HD basic box ($449 later+tax) and wants all the HD channels will pay for HD Plus $9/month. Hates sports as I do, so will see if she actually uses it (all the HD channels that is).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks