What's new

21 Jump Street/Hunter/Greatest American Hero/Silk Stalkings/Commish/Renegade (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
From videobusiness.com 6/9/04...

CANNELL'S TV SERIES TO HIT DVD FORMAT
Titles include 21 Jump Street, Silk Stalkings, Hunter
By Scott Hettrick 6/9/2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUNE 9 | Stephen J. Cannell has struck an exclusive long-term distribution deal with Anchor Bay Entertainment to release his TV series on DVD, such as 21 Jump Street, The Greatest American Hero and Hunter.

Cannell, one of the most prolific producers of TV programming, is also one of the few who owns most of his own library (Universal owns Cannell's The A-Team and will release it on DVD soon).

Anchor Bay, acquired last year by telco IDT Corp's entertainment division, has become aggressive in acquisitions and distribution deals in recent months. Last month it acquired London-based anime producer/distributor Manga Entertainment. CEO Ted Green says the Cannell library will provide a good jumpstart to the company's expanding release slate since it includes both high-profile and high-volume product.

Anchor Bay will be issuing four to six DVD series sets at once, beginning with 21 Jump Street in mid-September and Silk Stalkings in early October. Two additional series sets from among Hunter, The Commish, Renegade and Greatest American Hero are tentatively slated for the fourth quarter and the other two in early 2005.
As the deal has been on the table and nearly consummated for months, Anchor Bay has already been busy producing bonus features for DVD sets that will include an extensive array of cast and crew interviews, audio commentaries and making-of featurettes. Cannell, who has theatrical film productions in development on many of the series, has been actively involved in the creation of the bonus materials.

Green said Cannell's production company kept the tapes of the series in such good shape that they were able to prepare them for DVD much more quickly than is often the case for some older series.

Cannell has created or co-created more than 40 shows, including The Rockford Files, and written more than 450 television episodes. He has also produced or executive produced more than 1,500 TV episodes. Stephen J. Cannell Productions owns the worldwide distribution rights to more than 1,000 hours of that programming.

IDT Entertainment has also been aggressively acquiring entertainment assets, mostly in the realm of animation. In addition to Anchor Bay, the company owns computer animation and effects companies DPS Film Roman, Mainframe Entertainment, Digital Production Solutions and DKP Effects. The company is in the early stages of production on two CG animated feature films, Gene Roddenberry's Starpoint Academy and a feature yet to be named, directed by Christopher Reeve. The company also has a minority equity interest in Vanguard Animation, an equity interest in Archie Comics Enterprises, a minority stake in Stan Lee's POW! Entertainment, a joint venture with the Christian Broadcasting Network to develop and distribute family-friendly programming and production and distribution deals with Todd McFarlane Productions to produce animated programming and merchandise based on Spawn and other TMP original intellectual properties.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
This is awesome. Look at all these shows :) I'd love to see 21 Jump Street because of Johnny Depp and Commish because of Micheal Chiklis and David Paymer. I love great news like this!!!

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
This is the best news I've heard all year.I'll be picking up 21 Jump street,Hunter and my personal favourite,Renegade.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

With all due respect for Mr. Scott Hettrick, who wrote that story and whom I've talked to in the past (he's a terrific guy), the first quoted item is incorrect (it was released the other day), and the second quoted item makes it sound like Rockford might be coming from Anchor Bay rather than Universal.

Here is my take on the VB story, where I clear up the "who owns what" stuff a bit more, if anyone's interested. Gord's byline is on the article, instead of mine, because we had a bit of a site spaz-out while I started posting the news stories, and so Gord had to re-post them once the issue cleared up.

Rick P

Supporting Actor
David..

if possible, you should give Anchor Bay a tap and see/make sure that "The Greatest American Heroine" will be on 3rd season set. Call it a 'failed pilot' if you must, but it does nicely book end the Ralph/Bill relationship (and Holly filled the suit better than Ralph EVER did).

Time to retire another set of DVD-R's.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Rick,

"The Greatest American Heroine"? Can you tell me more and also what happened to Ralph & Bill??

Thanks!

Rick P

Supporting Actor
"The Greatest American Heroine" was a 'revival pilot' that was shot in '86 (IIRC)... in it...

(partially lifted from TVTome) The media and the government are both wise to Ralph having the suit. So, they stage a fake accident that they know our hero will respond to, and they wait with cameras. When he does (and of course saves the staged victim), a crowd emerges to thank Ralph for his years of service. This popularity immediately goes to his head, and he even hires an agent to handle all of the publicity that he is LOVING! This goes over bad with the green guys, and they lock Pam and Ralph in the VW bug and it's off to Palmdale.

After the aliens "beam" the two up, Ralph is ordered to find someone to give the suit to. He is fired, but has the choice of who will recieve the "unearthly powers". Unfortunately for Bill, Ralph picks a woman with huge "save the world" issues. Now Bill has to train her on how to use the suit (to the best of the knowledge he and Ralph were able to figure out without the instruction book, because the "green guys" already gave Ralph two of them; and won't give another!).

Needles to say, Bill and the girl (Holly) don't exactly see eye-to-eye and it takes a while for them to get in sync with each other (did I mention she was also a single mother? Her kid is one of those brainac types... drives Bill nuts...)

It would have been fun to see it go a little further on... AFAIK, this episode only aired a coupla of times, one in the early syndication runs and when FX ran the series a few years back.. it is NOT part of the current syndication package (at least not on the Canadian Showcase ACTION channel... I know, I asked them).

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
When I received the email from TVshowsondvd.com I just about fell out of my chair. I have been waiting for Jump Street since they started putting TV shows on dvd.
With this and the Star Wars Trilogy coming out in September, I'll only have the remaining seasons of this and Twin Peaks to really really look forward to.
It's almost a sad day in my DVD watching/collecting life.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I saw the spin-off 'Greatest American Heroine' via a vhs copy at an sf-con, and it was pretty awful. But I still hope Anchor Bay can get a hold of it as a bonus feature. The bit with Ralph lying to the green guys about having lost the manual again
was cute.

I'll definitely get GAH. A couple of years ago, I watched the pilot at the Museum of Television & Radio in NYC, and it was as much fun as I'd remembered. And HELL YES for Jump Street! I've been longing for that one for ages.

Commish was a fun show, and I'd like to see it again, but I'll probably be too broke for that one too.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'll take "21 Jump Street", "Hunter", "Silk Stalkings" and "Renegade", thank you very much.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Stepfanie Kramer...YUM!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
And wasn't there a 21 Jump Street spinoff called Booker? With Lori Petty and the guy with the eyebrows?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Yeah, After the 3 parter on Jump Street where Hanson was undercover in the hispanic street gangs with Gerardo(Rico Suave), and Booker was paired with the dirty cop. Booker tainted evidence in order to save Hanson's ass and he ended up quitting very soon after.
Booker, played by Richard Grieco, then went on to become a P.I and the series was called Booker.
Man! I can't wait for Jump Street to arrive!:D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Video Business had the months switched for 21 Jump and Silk. Here's Gord's new post with the press release and the correct exact street dates for both titles.

David Devaux

Agent
Fired up. I loved Silk Stalkings. Very much a guilty pleasure type show. It jumped the shark when they changed cops though.

It had tons of hot chicks and decent plots, though the acting wasn't the greatest. The female cop went off to baywatch and the guy was on Melrose place after leaving the series

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Gotta agree there about Silk Stalkings. Just about all of the episodes had really hot beginnings to it... whew! I'll just leave it at that. :D

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Silk Stalkings !!! WOOHOO!!! I know this isn't what many would call an extraodinary show but I loved it. Like David Devaux said, it's a "guilty pleasure". Did I happen to mention, Silk Stalkings !!! WOOHOO!!!. Absolutely loved seasons 1 thru 5, season 6 the actors just weren't right, seasons 7 & 8 were pretty ok.

Yep Mitzi Kapture sure did deliver some really hot & steamy opening monalogs. Did I forget to say, Silk Stalkings !!! WOOHOO!!!. :D

WendyCR

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely will be buying both Silk Stalkings (at least through S5, if it gets that far!) and Hunter.

Woohoo! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks