What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Studio Classics' DVD Series (2 Viewers)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Rafael,

I get the feeling you are a huge fan of Tyrone Power. ;)

Those are some good titles, many of which were released as 'Studio Classics' on VHS, but the DVD series is a whole different beast. Considering the cost of production of the 'Studio Classics' DVDs (restoration, remastering, supplements, etc), Fox has made it abundantly clear that at least for now, only titles with large market appeal will likely get released as 'Studio Classics'.

I would not be surprised to see some of those titles that were released as 'Studio Classics' on VHS to get released as movie only versions on DVD sometime in the near future.

'This Above All' was not one of Tyrone Power's better films, but if it did find its way onto DVD it would most likely be part of Fox's 'War Classics' series.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Yes, Nils, I'm a huge Tyrone Power fan, as much I'm crazy about Alice Faye and Betty Grable. And I know there's a difference between the Studio Classic as it was released in vhs and now on dvd.
In fact some of those titles that were part of the Studio Classic VHS were released on dvd just as catalog releases (I was a male was bride, People will talk, Cheaper by the dozen and now Roxie Hart).
But let's wait and see.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Shouldn't there be a review of "PEYTON PLACE" soon ?
It is due out in less than three weeks ?
Anyone have any details about it ?
I am curious if they might include the PILOT for
the TV SERIES, that would be awesome. Before, they
ruined the series for television. It is my understanding
the PILOT stuck very close to the film, then someone came
in and rewrote the series eliminating half of the major
characters from the film and the book.

John Bryant

Second Unit
Nils,

All four packs have gotten a drop to $23.99. With Sunrise selling for $20+ on ebay, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for people to pick up almost the entire collection for almost nothing at all :).

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
My most wanted 20th Century Fox classic titles -

The Egyptian (1954)
One in a Million (1936) (Sonja Henie's debut!)
The Rains Came (1939)
Blood and Sand (1941)
Sun Valley Serenade (1942)
Lifeboat (1944)
Kiss of Death (1947) (Richard Widmark's debut!)
No Way Out (1950)(Sidney Poitier's debut!)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Joe,

IMDB doesn't allow hotlinking of their images so your post only shows eight boxes with red crosses.

Although it is possible to still see a blocked image by right-clicking, selecting 'Properties', copying the URL of the image, opening a new browser window, pasting the copied URL into the address field and hit enter. I would not expect most readers to go through all that effort, certainly not if there are many empty images.

Even when a site allows for hotlinking, I always recommend adding the title of the film below or above the image in the event that at some point the image's URL changes, is removed, or the host site no longer allows for hotlinking.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
This month's Vanity Fair magazine is its annual March Hollywood issue chock full of great photos and an awesome fold out group photo cover with Julianne Moore, Jennifer Connelly, Gwyneth Paltrow, Naomi Watts, Salma Hayek, Jennifer Aniston, Diane Lane, Kirsten Dunst, Lucy Liu, Scarlett Johansson, Hilary Swank and Maggie Gyllenhaal in sexy outfits!

Er ..... how does tie in to the Fox Studio Collection? There's an excellent detailed multi page article about the making of The Best Of Everything (1959) with lots of background anecdotes and commentary by the survivng cast including Hope Lange shortly before her death. Hopefully, this article will alert Fox that there IS some interest in this film and they'll give it the deluxe DVD treatment real soon.

Are you listening, Mr. Staddon?

richardWI

Second Unit
I got my Sunrise in the mail and I gentle shook the DVD case and sure enough it made the ugly rattling noise that can only mean the plastic that holds the DVD in place broke off in the mail. Grrrr. :angry:

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure this is probably widely known, but you can purchase the 4 disc Studio Classics box set that contains Sunrise at www.amazon.ca for $42.28 CDN. Nice deal, nice box. Even if you have the others, sell them and it will cover most of the cost. Keep Sunrise for free.

Shaun

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Even cheaper at www.dvdpacific.com at $24.66 plus postage here.

I bought the set from amazon.ca, but it contained - like many others - the old version of How Green Was My Valley, as did the replacement set. I'm sure it's sorted now, but Fox's behaviour over this at the time was shoddy to say the least.

---
So many films, so little time...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
At last I have Sunrise from the boxset, plus I have the first three FSC double, is anybody interested in those ?

Just email or PM me

:emoji_thumbsup:

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
John:
Care to fill me in on what "Old Version" of How Green Was My Valley you speak of? What is the difference, what should I look for, and where can I exchange it if I do in fact have it?

ShaunS

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Shaun,

I think John meant to say "old release". Fox first released 'How Green Was My Valley' four years ago:

That DVD went OOP and then Fox released the SE 'Studio Calssics' version - which is a significant improvement over the first release. I can't comment on John's experience of having the older release being shipped as part of the Studio Classics 'Best Picture' 4-Pack, as this is the first I have ever heard of that.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Yes, that's the one; a number of previous releases of HGWMV appeared in the FSC box sets in Canada, and from Canadian etailers. When, understandably upset, many, many customers complained, Fox simply shrugged its collective shoulders and said it wasn't a mistake, so it couldn't be rectified (this was at odds with the fact that the packaging showed the new version artwork).

If it wasn't a mistake (and to my knowledge they have never publically commented on it, save for the statements issued through etailers) Fox cynically dumped copies of the old release on it's Canadian customers, and those international customers who bought from Canadian etailers.

---
So many films, so little time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks