What's new

20th Century Fox's 'Studio Classics' DVD Series (1 Viewer)

JohnPM

Second Unit
You have to assume that Fox has had some success with sales on these vintage titles. The year so far has been remarkable in terms of announcements --- and who would have dreamed they'd release "The River's Edge" --- I for one had forgotten that picture existed, but it's great they're comong out with it ...

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Dear Fox,

Please include the classic 1950 western "The Gunfighter" in your next slate of "Studio Classics" series... and please see fit to include as a bonus, the excellent made-for-television Sam Peckinpah directed feature adaption, "End Of A Gun".

Thank you.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

And they would have even more success if they didn't charge a $60 MSRP on 4 DVD box sets of classic films. Even with discounts, they're still overpriced in my opinion.

The pricing of the Laurel and Hardy box was attractive, for a street price of $25 or less you got 3 wonderful looking DVDs with liner notes and commentary for all plus various trailers, newsreels, and a documentary. For whatever reason Fox decided that Will Rogers, Betty Grable, and Charlie Chan fans need to fork over $$$ for those collections. With gas prices going up and Warners offering a lower per unit cost on their boxes, Fox may be setting themselves up for disappointing results.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The other day I pulled out my disc of "The Diary of Anne Frank" that I purchased 2 years ago and had an unpleasant surprise. The disc will no longer play properly. It is a DVD-14 and obviously plagued by some manufacturing defect that has caused it to deteriorate. It played perfectly when I first bought it and is in pristine condition. I intend to send it back for a replacement. The online retailer doesn't say anything about a time limit for replacing defects.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Mark, the same thing happened with my Diary of Anne Frank disc. I was very upset, cause it was not the only title from the studio classic collection that froze (Peyton Place was the other one).
I reported it here at the time I noticed the default, and others told they were having the same kind of problem with their Diary dvds.

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Steve, I agree that the price is not the cheapest, but it's better than nothing.
I was waiting years and years for those Fox musicals to come out on dvd (specially Moon over Miami) and the future was not very bright for those titles tow years ago.
Now, Fox finally got the idea and is releasing a bunch of classic movies that I thought would never see the light of the day in dvd. And with awesome transfers (I can tell that the transfer for Down Argentine Way looks much the same we saw in the Weekend in Havana dvd, since it's available in Brazil). So, I can't complain just because 4 movies are being sold for US$ 60,00 (retailers sell it for about US$ 41,00). US$ 10,00 per disc is not a expensive price, come on. It's better than not have them out on the market.
Ok, I know that there will be a lot of you that not agree with me. But I am extremely happy with Fox line up and don't think this price is going to stop my purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks