What's new

20th Century Fox's CinemaScope films (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Susan Hayward was in the middle of a nasty divorce and couldn’t leave the country at that time.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Susan Hayward was in the middle of a nasty divorce and couldn’t leave the country at that time.

Which is also why she didn't go to Hong Kong for the same year's Soldier Of Fortune (1955) with Clark Gable. You can see that it's clearly Gable in the location shots but it's a Susan Hayward body double in the Hong Kong shots.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Optional. Easy to switch off. It also comes with a dvd copy. And, if you read French, a lovely, well illustrated booklet on Jennifer Jones.

Thank you. I just might pick this up next month (my blu ray/DVD budget is already shot for April :()

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
susan was filming Garden of evil on location. She was warned by the court,on her return, that if she left the country again, she could well lose the children.
fox then sdded her role to Demetrius and the Gladiators, all filmed on the lot. Its her double in Untamed and Soldier of fortune.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
susan was filming Garden of evil on location. She was warned by the court,on her return, that if she left the country again, she could well lose the children.
fox then sdded her role to Demetrius and the Gladiators, all filmed on the lot. Its her double in Untamed and Soldier of fortune.
Clearly not her in Untamed. Pity. There’s also a scene where the side shot shows her inside the corral watching thebacks Of Richard Egan and another man firing at the Zulus. After a moment she turns and looks behind her. And there’s a brief « what the F*** am I doing? » on her face! :)

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Got really excited today when they announced a showing of The Virgin Queen on French television. On investigation is said it stars Jean Simmonds and Stewart Granger.
Once again thé French change a title for no foreseeable reason. The film is actually Young Elizabeth, with the two stars mentioned above plus Charles Laughton repeating his turn as Henry VIII and Deborah Kerr as Catherine Parr.
Not a Fox movie, not in Cinemascope. La Jeune Elizabeth would I guess for the French not nail the fact for the French it’s about English history!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Got really excited today when they announced a showing of The Virgin Queen on French television. On investigation is said it stars Jean Simmonds and Stewart Granger.
Once again thé French change a title for no foreseeable reason. The film is actually Young Elizabeth, with the two stars mentioned above plus Charles Laughton repeating his turn as Henry VIII and Deborah Kerr as Catherine Parr.
Not a Fox movie, not in Cinemascope. La Jeune Elizabeth would I guess for the French not nail the fact for the French it’s about English history!

Hmm, if Young Bess (1953) is called The Virgin Queen in France, what do they call the 1955 Fox film with Bette Davis? Old Bess?

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Hmm, if Young Bess (1953) is called The Virgin Queen in France, what do they call the 1955 Fox film with Bette Davis? Old Bess?
Just looked it up and discovered it's called Le seigneur de l'aventure, The Lord of Adventure.
Or The Adventurous lord, more suitable for Young Bess as it was about the fictional love Elizabeth had when young for Thomas Seymour!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Just looked it up and discovered it's called Le seigneur de l'aventure, The Lord of Adventure. Or The Adventurous lord, more suitable for Young Bess as it was about the fictional love Elizabeth had when young for Thomas Seymour!

Giving American films new titles in foreign countries has always fascinated me. Sticking to France:

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) becomes Quand La Ville Dort (When The City Sleeps)
The Desperate Hours (1955) becomes La Maison Des Otages (The House Of Hostages)
Dial M For Murder (1954) becomes Le Crime Etait Presque Parfait (The Crime Was Almost Perfect)
Dead Reckoning (1947) becomes En Marge De L'enquete (On The Sidelines Of The Investigation)
The Sandpiper (1965) becomes Le Chevalier Des Sables (The Knight Of The Sands)
Rebel Without A Cause (1955) becomes La Fureur De Vivre (The Fury Of Living)
Splendor In The Grass (1961) becomes La Fievre Dans Le Sang (A Fever In The Blood)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I received my blu ray of Tender Is The Night from France in today's mail and it's a lovely anamorphic transfer. Thanks for the heads up, Paul. I've updated the master list.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I received my blu ray of Tender Is The Night from France in today's mail and it's a lovely anamorphic transfer. Thanks for the heads up, Paul. I've updated the master list.
Glad you agree with my opinion. Looks gorgeous.
Btw there is also a terrific French release of Left Hand Of God which I bought last year.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Glad you agree with my opinion. Looks gorgeous.
Btw there is also a terrific French release of Left Hand Of God which I bought last year.

I have the German blu ray of The Left Hand Of God which looks quite nice. I assume it's the same transfer as the French release.

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
I have the German blu ray of The Left Hand Of God which looks quite nice. I assume it's the same transfer as the French release.
Well it’s an official Fox release, so if the German is too it will I imagine be the same. Only European country releases to avoid are Spanish ones, usually pirated and bad quality. Though it is odd that Spain has released beautiful restorations of things like the U.K. tv Poirot and Marple series in versions that look better than when originally broadcast. And you can’t get them in the U.K. but when it comes to classic movies......

ptb2017fr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul Bale
Just had flagged up a new French release of Love is A Many Splendored Thing with the same artwork as Twilight Time release carried, so if you weren't able to get a copy of that limited release go to amazon.fr.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
Just had flagged up a new French release of Love is A Many Splendored Thing with the same artwork as Twilight Time release carried, so if you weren't able to get a copy of that limited release go to amazon.fr.
Do you know if it is the same transfer than Twilight Time?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Only European country releases to avoid are Spanish ones, usually pirated and bad quality.

I would add Italy to that. I never intentionally buy bootlegs but I bought Lucy Gallant and The Joker Is Wild from Italy several years ago assuming they were legitimate but they turned out to be bootlegs and poor quality. Now I double check to be sure anything I order from Italy is studio sanctioned. For example, I recently bought two Disney titles on DVD from Italy which are only available in the U.S. in full frame editions rather than wide screen anamorphic (neither available on blu ray either). They have the Disney copyright and Disney logo on the package and before the film starts exactly like their U.S. counterparts.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I recently bought two Disney titles on DVD from Italy which are only available in the U.S. in full frame editions rather than wide screen anamorphic (neither available on blu ray either). They have the Disney copyright and Disney logo on the package and before the film starts exactly like their U.S. counterparts.

Which films, Thomas?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
That Darn Cat (1965) and Lt. Robin Crusoe (1966). I was hoping they would get get blu ray releases from the Disney club but it appears they have lost interest in releasing their live action "classics" from the 50s and 60s.

And I am certain the same will happen with the Fox catalogue titles now that Disney controls them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks