What's new

20th century fox TV archives MOD program (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I wish good luck to all 20th Century Fox Film and TV Fans when the news comes out. Let us hope that many of us will have our wish's granted.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I would love to hear more about the Archive collection and Peyton Place. The fact is I enjoy that Mr Finn has come on this forum to explain things to us. Getting Peyton Place or some of my favorite movies is beside the point. Fox cared so much for their fans that they sent Mr Finn back to us to answer questions.

Reminds me of the days we waited for the last Voyage release to DVD and James took the time to answer our questions. The rest of Voyage came out just as he told us.

So welcome back James Finn!!

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
I've asked this before and I'll repeat. What have I missed? People keep mentioning this man returning to post on here and answer questions and I've seen nothing to that effect on any recent thread

?????

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Frank Soyke said:
I've asked this before and I'll repeat. What have I missed? People keep mentioning this man returning to post on here and answer questions and I've seen nothing to that effect on any recent thread

?????

He must be like Claude Rains.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Frank, there's a recent thread in the Blu-ray section started by a James Finn, who's labeled underneath his avatar as an "Industry Insider".

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/341141-hi-from-fox/

In his initial post, he simply asked "What's cookin'?" This seemed to be enough to open the floodgates for dozens of people to come at him with their Christmas wish lists of every movie ever made, whether it's a Fox-owned property or not. Even after he came back and asked people to stop so that he could process all the requests, people still kept coming with their demands until moderators stepped in.

So I guess he's going to return to that thread eventually with whatever Yes/No/Maybe responses he's allowed to offer at this time. None of that necessarily means anything TV-related, as the Blu-ray section is generally for Blu-ray movie news and discussion while the TV news/talk is right here. Plus, considering the Fox MOD TV offerings so far, even if there is some TV announcements, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm guessing any TV-related announcements will pertain to another X-Files collection. Or, hey, is it time for a new Buffy re-issue? (Yes, I would like to be pleasantly surprised with a Fox equivalent to the recent VEI announcement of releases...I just don't expect it.)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am so happy we will be getting the answers that many of us asked about 20th Century Fox Films and TV programs.

ST Elsewhere was even brought up by one of the moderators as I brought up Peyton Place and my choices of films.

Hang in there Fox product lovers!

Given to us by a generous man James Finn

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Neil Brock said:
He must be like Claude Rains.
I need to be brought up to speed on this as well. From what I understand, Finn has been in a marketing position at Fox for 2 years. He has been able to trigger a landslide among the hopefuls with a simple "What's Cooking?" post. During his tenure, what television releases that have come out has he spearheaded? Also: does his solicitation for ideas on public forums mean that (under Fox's management structure) he has some significant influence in greenlighting home video television releases?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
John Karras said:
I need to be brought up to speed on this as well. From what I understand, Finn has been in a marketing position at Fox for 2 years. He has been able to trigger a landslide among the hopefuls with a simple "What's Cooking?" post. During his tenure, what television releases that have come out has he spearheaded? Also: does his solicitation for ideas on public forums mean that (under Fox's management structure) he has some significant influence in greenlighting home video television releases?
The fact of the matter is Fox has does nothing with their classic releases over this time frame (or ever) and I have little reason to believe that will change. Keep in mind that this very vague post was put on the Blue Ray board, not here, so my assumption is that if they are going to gut their library, it's going to be movies, not TV, otherwise he would have been putting out feelers here.

Sorry to be a pessimist, but Fox has a lousy track record and a post on another board asking "what's cookin" doesn't really elicit the same wave of optimism and excitement for me it has generated from some of you other folks.

Hope to be wrong on this one and see announcements for stuff like Twelve O Clock High, Julia, and Peyton Place soon, but I just don't see it at this point.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I don't think you're being a pessimist, Frank. You're being realistic based on Fox's poor track record and a very vague post in the Blu-ray section which some people have overreacted to and seemed to have interpreted to mean that Mr. Finn and Fox now plan to make all their dreams come true.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
20th Century Fox Studios has made a statement from their representative James Finn. Mr Finn has forwarded the requests of fans of movies and TV programs from the Fox library to the powers to be at Fox. Included on the request list the Fox TV Archive Program TV shows and many Fox Films that have been in the vault for sometime.

He came to us as a friend. I congratulate him for that. People love to speculate and cast their opinions. That is what a forum is about. I just believe in my humble opinion that this is the most positive thing I have seen from a major studio here on HTF in quite awhile.

I intend to welcome and embrace anything this man has to say.

Mark Collins

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Mark Collins said:
20th Century Fox Studios has made a statement from their representative James Finn. Mr Finn has forwarded the requests of fans of movies and TV programs from the Fox library to the powers to be at Fox. Included on the request list the Fox TV Archive Program TV shows and many Fox Films that have been in the vault for sometime.

He came to us as a friend. I congratulate him for that. People love to speculate and cast their opinions. That is what a forum is about. I just believe in my humble opinion that this is the most positive thing I have seen from a major studio here on HTF in quite awhile.

I intend to welcome and embrace anything this man has to say.

Mark Collins
Honestly, Mark I hope you are right and I respect your opinion. Like you, I really want to see Peyton Place and others released. My reservation with these guys is that that have disregarded their classic TV library for Sooooo long, all the while providing the same lip service to this MOD program, it's just hard for me to believe they are all of a sudden going to flood the market with this stuff in the same sales climate where most of the other major distributors are winding down and getting out of the classic TV business.

And truthfully, I'd much rather see CBS and Warner release this stuff as they have been doing all long and not send a rep to this forum rather than Fox send somebody here to get everybody's hopes up when all the while they intend to do nothing. I'm not saying that's what happening here, but because of Fox's track record, I'm sure you can understand my apprehension.

As I've said many times on this one, I would love to be wrong on this one.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Mark, I really hope that someday you are able to get the Peyton Place set you want. You have a dedication and unfailing optimism about it that I can appreciate.

That said, I think you'd have a much better chance of success if the show was owned by just about anybody other than Fox, unless they wanted to start working with Shout Factory again. I also think that if Mr. Finn wanted TV requests as well as film requests, he would have either started a similar thread in the "TV on DVD and Blu-ray" section or urged someone posting in his "Blu-ray" section thread to link people to his thread who might not necessarily frequent that more film-oriented discussion section.

There are certainly plenty of Fox-owned shows that I'd like to have that are either unreleased or stalled. So I'll be interested to see what, if anything, develops from that thread. But with these companies (not just Fox), I've developed a "hope for the best, but expect nothing" mindset. At least that way you don't set yourself up for major letdowns, while at the same time you occasionally get some nice surprises.

Good luck to you on your Peyton Place quest!

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi mark,

instead of wondering about it, why not ask him if he thinks fox would have any interest in releasing some of their old tv shows that they own ?

and by all means, INVITE him over here.

fox is reaching out to its audience. even if for now, their only thought was to find out what films to release next, you have a very big step in the door, in terms of communicating to fox.

i wouldnt worry about the fact that he has been working for 2 years, and nothing has happened with tv. that might be said of a lot of things.

perhaps mr. finn has been trying for quite awhile, and just got the attention of a fox bigwig, who has decided that it would be helpful to establish a connection with some of the more enthusiastic video watchers ?

whatever the reason, there are possible lines of communication open today that werent there, yesterday !!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Mark Collins said:
Mr Finn has forwarded the requests of fans of movies and TV programs from the Fox library to the powers to be at Fox.

Where as they will do what they have done for the last several years - nothing!

The "powers that be" know what is in the libary and what the people want - they don't need to send a low-level marketing person here to gather information.

Do we even know if Finn REALLY works for Fox,and not someone screwin' with us - have the mods here vetted him?

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
DeWilson said:

The "powers that be" know what is in the libary and what the people want - they don't need to send a low-level marketing person here to gather information.

Do we even know if Finn REALLY works for Fox,and not someone screwin' with us - have the mods here vetted him?
I'm guessing the guy is really from Fox but other than that, I agree with exactly what you are stating. I find it hard to believe it's "brand new" news to them that people are interested in the likes of Peyton Place and Trapper John. After all, this board isn't exactly new.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
DeWilson said:

can we please stop all this negativity ?

while it may not have broken any rules, it would have been a lot wiser to ask a moderator with a private message, if you are concerned about his status.

talk about chasing away a possible nice source of information !!

i got a brilliant idea - let's wait for him to get back to us, and then politely ask him if he would be interested in the tv section. all he can say is no - we have nothing to lose, and possibly something to gain.

we have nothing to gain by questioning his legitimacy on the forum, and may be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
jimmyjet said:
can we please stop all this negativity ?

while it may not have broken any rules, it would have been a lot wiser to ask a moderator with a private message, if you are concerned about his status.

talk about chasing away a possible nice source of information !!

i got a brilliant idea - let's wait for him to get back to us, and then politely ask him if he would be interested in the tv section. all he can say is no - we have nothing to lose, and possibly something to gain.

we have nothing to gain by questioning his legitimacy on the forum, and may be shooting ourselves in the foot.
So if someone legitimately questions this guys identity due to Fox's horrendous track record with classic TV, you are saying we are going to get punished by having our ice cream break taken away along with a possible season 3 release of Peyton Place. He must be a pretty powerful guy if he can withold a release simply because he doesn't like someone's attitude on a small fan forum. Bottom line, Fox has given us every reason to be doubtful about their intentions. I don't blame these folks one bit for not lining up to drink the cool aid.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am saying there is a proper and intelligent way of doing things - and we bungled it up !!

i am saying that other people view us by our actions, and if i was a top dog at fox and looking in, i would not waste any more time with us.

some people on this forum are so pessimistic, suspicious, etc. that it does not help our goal of getting things released.

we have a chance of having some communication with a pretty big studio - let's not bungle it up any further.

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
jimmyjet said:
i am saying there is a proper and intelligent way of doing things - and we bungled it up !!

i am saying that other people view us by our actions, and if i was a top dog at fox and looking in, i would not waste any more time with us.

some people on this forum are so pessimistic, suspicious, etc. that it does not help our goal of getting things released.

we have a chance of having some communication with a pretty big studio - let's not bungle it up any further.
I understand your point Jimmy.....but I wouldn't say Fox has "wasted a whole lot of time" with us to begin with. And in other related news, I've been told a Sony rep will be posting a message stating only "what's happening" on the board next week so I'm preparing to practice genuflecting in advance in hopes that will prove motivation for them to finish Silver Spoons.

Just playing Jim. Cheers, my friend. :)

This is a joke by the way.....

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Finn is a legit representative and has been one at least since 2010. He just rarely appears on these forums. I know at one point, when Twilight Time was first launched, he made the mistake of claiming its first DVD release (The Kremlin Letter) as a Fox Home Video release. Someone called him out on this error in an annoyed fashion (Fox had an extreme dry spell that year) and didn't come back for at least a year afterward.

And seriously, any rep that bothers to visit is good. Especially from a major studio. Getting angry at them only has the opposite effect, the company gets the message that what work they do put into their releases aren't appreciated and second guess why they are spending the money releasing them at all. It's best to be courteous toward these reps.

I don't mean that we shouldn't criticize poor releases, just don't take it out on the representatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks