What's new

20th century fox TV archives MOD program (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
This is what I was referring to in my post.

You've reminded me of the strange case of Fox Home Entertainment and Beneath The 12-Mile Reef. This film was in the public domain and there was a variety of PD Discs of very bad quality. For years fans were demanding that Fox release a proper disc and Fox did not respond. Then Fox Home Entertainment began their MOD series and immediately antagonised film-lovers by releasing Cinemascope films in pan-and-scan format. Just when everyone assumed that any widescreen film from Fox's MOD division would be pan-and-scan, out of the blue Fox released Beneath The 12-Mile Reef in the correct ratio and with really good picture quality! Everyone was astonished and delighted! I still am!

Maybe there's a lesson there for other players in this market.

That is why I suggest be patient with Fox. I remember not to long ago one member stating as Americans want what we want now without waiting for anything. I am not sure that statement is completely true because I think all human nature is that way. As for the Ghost and Mrs Muir one of my favorite movies. The TV show looks bootleg and should be reported to Amazon to have it taken down.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I did report the Ghost and Mrs Muir as bootleg to Amazon. They seemed convinced that it was real but the more I talked they said they would check it out.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I also spoke with Fox and they said The Ghost and Mrs Muir could be an overseas title. They said they have not released the series in their new and they called it 20th Century Fox TV Archive Mod Collection or the TV series MOD collection. I also was told they are working on Archive titles but cannot release the names of any TV series until the pre order date which I should check back on in a few months.

Amazon did say they would do an investigation but Fox also stated that you can buy their overseas titles on Amazon.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Of course by "Archive" titles, let's hope it's shows older than say......1990? (or more preferably 1980 at least for me)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Maybe there's a lesson there for other players in this market.

That is why I suggest be patient with Fox. I remember not to long ago one member stating as Americans want what we want now without waiting for anything. I am not sure that statement is completely true because I think all human nature is that way. As for the Ghost and Mrs Muir one of my favorite movies. The TV show looks bootleg and should be reported to Amazon to have it taken down.

Mark, I wanted to add something to what you were saying. Last year I was going back through some old topics on here from several years ago. One chief complaint in a thread was how sorry Warner was and how they never treated their backlog of classic shows correctly. Fast forward to the present and Warner Archive is a huge friend in our hobby. I don't want to take an overly optimistic "out of touch" Pollyanna view of things, but could we revisit this in a year or two and find Fox is a new friend to us as well?

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey Ron, Great post and I had to laugh about the Pollyanna view of things. You must have caught me when I posted sometime back about the nameless person who accused me of having a Pollyanna attitude. The second best quote they made was I would be crushed when I was told there was no Santa Claus. I removed those quotes from my post because I thought why bring up such remarks. You did it for me and now I love the humor of those quotes. I honestly really needed that laugh tonight. Thanks a bunch for putting it out there. I am still laughing as I write.

With Fox on the phone tonight you can guess what series I wanted to know about and yes I spoke of others too. I left one thing out and should post it on the Fox movie MOD thread. Fox said more MOD movies were coming soon. I was very encouraged though when they spoke about the TV Mod series. I believe they think putting out recent shows on MOD are not Archives just MOD for those who enjoyed recent one season shows. I asked twice about the Archive titles and when they would be coming. I knew I would never get a date. Just as I stated above the answer was wait it may be a few months from now.

I thank you so much Ron for giving me that laugh. You are so right about the program. I believe at this time next year all of us will be waiting and guessing what the next Fox Archive title will be.

Once again thanks for that great post. Like I keep telling folks you have a title you want off the list Pascal provided us with talk about it. We know the studio reads posts here so this is your chance if you want to call attention to a certain show.

My only request is that everyone when they post mention how much you want my show LOL.

Mark

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
hi mark,

you were actually speaking on the phone to someone at fox ?

and they did say that older shows would be released later on ?

if so, it kinda matches what i have stated in the past - that they want to put their immediate resources on shows that might have a good deal of interest now, but they are not apt to have much long-term benefit. so it is either now or never for those shows.

thanks for your efforts and feedback to all of us.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jimmy looks like what you said could be right. You know of course they will speak in general terms but did give out what I said.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Mark Collins said:
Hey Ron, Great post and I had to laugh about the Pollyanna view of things. You must have caught me when I posted sometime back about the nameless person who accused me of having a Pollyanna attitude. The second best quote they made was I would be crushed when I was told there was no Santa Claus. I removed those quotes from my post because I thought why bring up such remarks. You did it for me and now I love the humor of those quotes. I honestly really needed that laugh tonight. Thanks a bunch for putting it out there. I am still laughing as I write.

With Fox on the phone tonight you can guess what series I wanted to know about and yes I spoke of others too. I left one thing out and should post it on the Fox movie MOD thread. Fox said more MOD movies were coming soon. I was very encouraged though when they spoke about the TV Mod series. I believe they think putting out recent shows on MOD are not Archives just MOD for those who enjoyed recent one season shows. I asked twice about the Archive titles and when they would be coming. I knew I would never get a date. Just as I stated above the answer was wait it may be a few months from now.

I thank you so much Ron for giving me that laugh. You are so right about the program. I believe at this time next year all of us will be waiting and guessing what the next Fox Archive title will be.

Once again thanks for that great post. Like I keep telling folks you have a title you want off the list Pascal provided us with talk about it. We know the studio reads posts here so this is your chance if you want to call attention to a certain show.

My only request is that everyone when they post mention how much you want my show LOL.

Mark
Glad I could be of service!

Look, I know there are some things we'll never see. At the same time, I think the companies can't help but see what Warner is accomplishing. If they have halfway acceptable elements already, I would see it as a can't-lose situation. You'll have people who will blind buy a series simply because it contains an actor or actress they know and love. I would jump on Chicago Teddy Bears or Enos either one if WA would release those even though in the case of the first I've never seen it, and the second there are only vague "snapshot" memories of watching when I was 10 or 11. I would be the same way about a movie that starred favorite actors/actresses from other shows.

I know not every obscure piece of television/movie history will make it to DVD, but I don't believe our hobby is as near death as what we once thought.

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Ron

Just so that you know you're not alone. I, too, want chicago Teddy bears, Anna and the King, Here Come the Doube Deckere, Run Joe Run and several other forgotten shows.

And the Farmers Daughter.

James

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I too am anxiously awaiting those Fox releases, remastered in great quality on Here We Go Again, San Pedro Beach Bums, Dusty's Trail, Crusader Rabbit, Saints and Sinners, Five Fingers, Bus Stop, Long Hot Summer, Valentine's Day, Judd for the Defense, Felony Squad, The Betty White Show, The Tony Randall Show, Doc, Phyllis, Friends and Lovers, Three For The Road and all of those other Metromedia, MTM, Four Star and Fox goodies that they've been sitting on doing nothing with for decades. Just let me know when I need to start clearing shelf space for them. :rolleyes:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I wonder if Lost In Space will be released in Blu-ray from the Fox Archive Collection? The same way we have blu-rays of movies come out of the WB archive collection.

Watching Peyton Place from Shout makes me think once more how much fans would buy the series just as it was given to Shout. The show looks fine to us that love the show. Those Shout copies out do all the recordings I have in SP of the show.

The color episodes of PP would look great when the series gets a complete release.

I support this program and keep hoping that every Fox Fan as was stated by a fan that a year from now we will be seeing some show released that fans have been waiting for.

Long Live Peyton Place

Mark

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Great news Fox fans. Once again the word on the Fox TV Archive Collection/ mod of current series as well is doing quite well for Fox.

Just as I was told before be patient on the older titles. I shall be. I love the Fox Film Archive collection and have many films from them now.

Wonderfrog68

Agent
Real Name
Pascal
Still surprised they haven't had the decency to release Anna and the King (the 1972 short-lived show starring Yul Brynner and Samatha Eggar) , already out in Germany but without the English soundtrack. What about "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir"? - although that's out in Australia.

Any idea if they plan on releasing the complete "Peyton Place" yet?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
The Starlost and Hammer House of Mystery and Suspense have also already had non-US DVD releases, though HHMS is long out-of-print and trades for silly prices on the second-hand market.

Starlost was released in at least two different regions, one of which went with the original episodes (Canada) and the other which went with the edited-together TV movies (the UK).

Frank Soyke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
One thing becoming increasingly clear is they plan on doing NOTHING with classic TV releases. They are just using this program as a cheap way to release crap from the past 15 years.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
[/URL]

Frank Soyke said:
One thing becoming increasingly clear is they plan on doing NOTHING with classic TV releases. They are just using this program as a cheap way to release crap from the past 15 years.

With no intentions of switching THE SIMPSONS over to MOD - where they could still do extras, commentary,etc.

If they won't put one of the biggest titles on MOD, what hope does it have for the classic library?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
[/URL]

With no intentions of switching THE SIMPSONS over to MOD - where they could still do extras, commentary,etc.

If they won't put one of the biggest titles on MOD, what hope does it have for the classic library?

I don't think it's that simple. I suspect the true reason that DVD and Blu-ray releases of The Simpsons have come to an end has nothing to do with "poor" sales. I think it's more to do with them wanting to push more people to the online SimpsonsWorld, and having DVDs/blu-rays available would, potentially, eat into the number of subscribers they hope to sign up. They don't want home video to cannibalise their streaming business.

That being said, they still probably don't have much interest in "oldies", due to the perception that older shows won't sell well enough to make it worth the effort.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
AndyMcKinney said:
I don't think it's that simple. I suspect the true reason that DVD and Blu-ray releases of The Simpsons have come to an end has nothing to do with "poor" sales. I think it's more to do with them wanting to push more people to the online SimpsonsWorld, and having DVDs/blu-rays available would, potentially, eat into the number of subscribers they hope to sign up. They don't want home video to cannibalise their streaming business.

That's a valid point! I never thought of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks