What's new

20th Century Fox: The Blockbuster Years (1 Viewer)

Brad M

Second Unit
On September 10th 20th Century Fox is scheduled to release a dvd titled: "20th Century Fox: The Blockbuster Years." The only information I've found is from a site selling it:

"Behind-the-scenes footage, rare screen tests and insightful interviews highlight this astonishing two-hour look at one of Hollywood's greatest dream factories. Film luminaries Tom Hanks, William Friedkin, Richard Zanuck, Raquel Welch, George Lucas, Oliver Stone, Robert Altman, and many more discuss their work with the studio, represented here by memorable moments from "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "Patton," "Young Frankenstein," "Star Wars," "Alien," "Big," "Home Alone," "Die Hard," "Mrs. Doubtfire," "Speed," "True Lies," "Independence Day," "There's Something About Mary," "Titanic"--and dozens more. It's a treasure trove of screen gems that gives film fans the ultimate "insiders' look" at four decades of movie-making magic!"

The one thing I really want to find out is what footage will be on the disc and how will it be presented? The cover artwork clearly shows Star Wars as one of the many movies to be featured.

Also, what's up with Titanic? Are they refering to the older version?

Any info? - Thanks

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Fox was also financially responsible for producing Titanic. Paramount released the film domestically, and (I believe) Fox got overseas distribution.

Check the back of your DVD - there are logos for Paramount, Fox, amd Lightstorm (Cameron's production company).

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think this is an Image release not Fox. They did a previous one which covered mainly the 40s and 50s which was excellent for all the extra material which had originally only been shown to theater exhibitors. To me the 50s were the real blockbuster years (big selling of CinemaScope etc), not the recent decades, so this release doesn't really interest me.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Fox originally was the studio producing Titanic, but when it went over budget, and feared it would tank in the box office, Fox got Paramount to help finance the film, but Paramount only agreed if they got domestic distribution rights.

Brad M

Second Unit
I went back and checked. It is an Image release.

I had forgot that the other studios had pitched in. I remember hearing that when the film was in theaters.

Thanks.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I believe this is a documentary hosted by James Coburn that aired on AMC a while back. I only caught the last part (the showed in different hour long segments). I think it this part covered the late 1970's all the way to the present. It was pretty good. Don't remember too much about it though. Coburn pretty much goes year by year and hitting the various blockbusters. I do remember them saying how big a hit Alien was and how Fox tried to copy its success with Predator or something.
There is a listing at IMDb, but it doesn't give you any info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks