What's new

20th Century Fox releases-A plea to Fox (1 Viewer)

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
The recent interview with Peter Staddon at Fox churned up a great many suggestions for possible future DVD releases. Many of those suggested I would buy given the chance!
This got me thinking about other Fox titles that I would buy if only...
The titles in no particular order are:-
Black Widow with Ginger Rogers
Island In The Sun
Alexander's Ragtime Band
Let's Make Love with Marilyn Monroe
Adventures of Sherlock Homes/Hound of the Baskervilles
Three Coins in the Fountain
I Was a Male War Bride
High Wind in Jamaica
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
Call Me Madam
Modesty Blaise
Young Lions
Esther and the King
Daddy Long Legs
Do Not Disturb
The Egyptian
Night Train To Munich
The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Move Over Darling
Five Fingers
Flight of the Phoenix
3 Tony Rome films
Anna and the King with Irene Dunne
Anastasia
Prince Valiant
Star! with Julie Andrews
300 Spartans
23 Paces to Baker Street
any Betty Grable or Shirley Temple films
And most importantly - to continue releasing titles in their correct aspect ratio and enhanced for widescreen TVs where appropriate.
N Eden
[email protected]
------------------

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I trust Mr. Staddon will be reading this thread, whether or not he chooses to reply to it, so I wish to give a HUGE SECOND NOMINATION for the film A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA. For the uninitiated, this is a dynamite adventure - not necessarily for children, but about a bunch of kids unintentionally kidnapped by pirates (including ANTHONY QUINN and JAMES COBURN) and about a bond that develops between Quinn and the oldest child, leading to his ultimate demise. Alexander Mackendrick ("Sweet Smell of Success" and several of the British Ealing comedies with Alec Guinness) directed this stunning movie, filmed in CinemaScope on an actual ship (no models or rear-screen projection) in exotic locales. But... THIS MOVIE HAS NEVER BEEN RELEASED TO VIDEO IN ANY FORMAT!!! It has been shown on occasion on cable movie channels, but of course only in P&S (although more recent broadcasts letterbox the title sequence rather than squeezing it, which shows you how much you are missing for the film proper). PLEASE, FOX...just take a look at this movie. It is so underseen that few even think to request it, but now on the heels of Mr. Quinn's death, this would be of great interest to fans...and maybe Mr. Coburn could contribute a commentary.
Thanks for even just considering it!

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
Yeah, and I can't believe I forgot to ask about 300 Spartans. What's the crappy OLD vhs tape going for these days on ePay? Wow, I just went to look. While there are copies up for auction, they sure do look like bootlegs to me. The original, licensed copy of this I've seen go for over fifty bucks. These boots are going for 25-35. Fox, put this out, and you won't have any bootleggin' evil-doers musclin' in on your action!
wink.gif

[Edited last by Ben Motley on August 02, 2001 at 02:39 PM]

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Of the movies on your list Nick, these are the ones I'm most interested in seeing on DVD:
Adventures of Sherlock Homes/Hound of the Baskervilles
I Was a Male War Bride
High Wind in Jamaica
Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines
Modesty Blaise
Young Lions
Night Train To Munich
The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Five Fingers
Flight of the Phoenix
3 Tony Rome films
And some other titles that were not mentioned or responded to during the chat:
Agony & the Ecstasy, The
Alligator People, The
Bedazzled
Boomerang
Boston Strangler
Call Northside 777
China Gate
Claudine
Conrack
Desert Fox
Driver, The
11 Harrowhouse
Emperor of the North
Gunfighter, The
Hot Rock,
House of Bamboo
House on 92nd Street, The
Incident, The
Innocents, The
Jane Eyre
Julia
Kiss of Death
Laura
Letter to 3 Wives
Lost World, The
Mephisto Waltz
Niagara
Nightmare Alley
Other, The
Ox Bow Incident, The
Panic in Needle Park
Panic in the Streets
Pickup on South Street
Race With the Devil
Razor's Edge (1946)
Seven-Ups, The
Snake Pit, The
St. Valentines Day Massacre
Thieve's Highway
Tree Grows in Brooklyn, A
Unfaithfully Yours (1948)
Viva Zapata
Wild River
...and Charlie Chan!

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES" - I can't believe nobody asked about this title during the chat. One of FOX's big Roadshow movies filmed in 70MM. It would make a nice disc along the lines of "CLEOPATRA", "THE LONGEST DAY", "THE SAND PEBBLES" & "THE SOUND OF MUSIC".
I'd also buy Irving Berlin's "CALL ME MADAM" mostly for the music (the political satire still works). The movie was filmed in Technicolor the same year as "GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES" and would probably look just as good on DVD. (Besides it has never been available on Home Video - ever.)
Best line:
Newsreel voice over addressing the American Ambassador Sally Adams: "Many still recall the day she made her still wildly quoted remark. A remark that was to endear her in the hearts of the nation's capital"
Sally: "I'll take the check!"

Chris M

Second Unit
I'll second the request for The Pirate Movie. My wife is a big fan! We have the VHS but you can imagine the quality.. ich
frown.gif

Chris.
------------------

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
I couldn't believe that there was barely a mention of Classic Titles in the discussion.
Top Fox Classic Titles deserved of a DVD release include,
CALL ME MADAM
PRINCE VALIANT
STAR
HELLO DOLLY ( next year I believe, please make it a SE)
STATE FAIR (1962 VERSION)
THE COMANCHEROS
CAN-CAN
THE BRAVADOS
LOVE ME TENDER
THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT
THE TALL MEN
DADDY LONG LEGS
THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN
RIVER OF NO RETURN
GARDEN OF EVIL
THE EGYPTIAN
NEW FACES
CARMEN JONES
BROKEN LANCE
BENEATH THE TWELVE MILE REEF
YELLOW SKY
CAPTAIN FROM CASTILE
and any of the Betty Grable- Alice Faye musicals as double sets.(Moon over Miami a must)
Also Anamorphic Remasters of the Rodgers and Hammerstein Musicals.
Thank you.
------------------

Sam Shore

Grip
Of those mentioned, I would buy the following:
11 Harrowhouse
Anna and the King of Siam (1946)
I Was a Male War Bride
Laura
Letter to 3 Wives
Star!
The Ghost and Mrs Muir
Three Coins in the Fountain
Unfaithfully Yours (1948)
Wild River
And then I would add:
Breaking Away - 1979
Desk Set - 1957
Paper Chase, The - 1973
People Will Talk - 1951
Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The - 1969
Sitting Pretty - 1948

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
When I saw that the chat had occurred, I was anxious that a fan of Hayao Miyazaki films would ask about a DVD release for "My Neighbor Totoro". The VHS is a "Fox Family Feature", but I don't know if they retain the DVD rights. If yes, then I hope Peter finds time to get this on the release schedule. There are boatloads of Miyazaki fans out there, and his films are scarce on Region 1 DVD.
6303118240.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Please, Peter...let me know if this one is even possible.
Also, I'll join those asking for "The Pirate Movie". I forgot that film until others mentioned it here, but I did enjoy it back in the day. I'd buy it!
Thanks a lot,
DAVE/Memphis

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Greg - it isn't that nobody WOULD have asked about it during the chat, but that those of us who WANTED to either weren't present at the time or could not get the request posted. This goes for myriad classic titles such as THE INNOCENTS, GHOST AND MRS. MUIR, A HIGH WIND IN JAMAICA, ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM, UNFAITHFULLY YOURS, THE SNAKE PIT, THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN...etc. that MANY of us would buy in a N.Y. minute if their arrived on DVD. The questions that got on the chat this time seemed disproportionately tv-heavy to me, but that is probably because I was so desperate to ask about the very titles that are appearing in this post. Let's trust that Mr. Staddon is reading this and adding requests from this thread to the list he made on the 31st.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody know whether Peter Straddon got a chance to read through this thread yet?
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
alli2icon.gif
"When you grow up, your heart dies."

Greg_M

Screenwriter
RE: CALL ME MADAM
The Rodgers & Hammerstein organization controls the rights to this Irving Berlin title. FOX could probably market this film with under their "Rodgers & Hammerstein" Banner. It would create more awareness and probably sell more copies.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
My most-wanted Fox titles are (in chronological order):
The Innocents
Hombre
Little Big Man
Julia
3 Women
The Verdict
Black Widow
Miller's Crossing
Barton Fink
I only hope someone at Fox reads this forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks