20th Century-Fox Hour??

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jul 1, 2004.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've actually never caught this series before and have no idea what it's all about, but I'm guessing it's a film retrospective that presents classic made-for-television films from the 1950's. If anyone could fill me in further, I'd appreciate it...

Anyways, I'm not sure what context this would fall under, but this morning I caught a movie titled "End Of A Gun", a black & white T.V. western that was written by Sam Peckinpah about a notorious past outlaw riding back into town to find his estranged lady friend and son after running into some trouble with a provoking gunman in a saloon who forces him to draw and kill making him a wanted man yet again. Along the way two amateur gunslingers from the nearby town come looking for revenge on their brother, as does an arrogant and cocky tough-talking kid looking to make a name for himself.

If this sounds vaguely farmiliar or if anyone knows what I'm talking about... in what context and when was this first broadcast? I tried searching Google but came up with nothing but I'm assuming that it was part of a series which aired these TV movies back in the day as it's listed under Peckinpah's filmography at IMDB as an "episode".

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone had anymore information on this and whether anyone knows if it's been released on DVD or if there are any plans to bring it to DVD in the near future...

Thanks!

2. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

They are not TV movies but a series called the 20th Century Fox Hour, an anthology that was seen on a bi-weekly basis for 2 seasons. They were one-hour shows which took Fox movies and remade them as television shows. There are 37 shows and they air once a week on Fox Movie Channel under the banner Hour of Stars. If you want them, I'd say record them yourself because if Fox won't release popular shows like the MTM catalogue, something like this has zero chance of seeing a commercial release. But they do seem to air uncut at least and without commercials.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Mark, so just to confirm... the series presents repackaged theatrical films from classic Fox productions?

If that's the case, do you have any info on the episode titled, "End Of A Gun"? That's really the only one I'm interested in owning...

I just did a search over at TVTome and found that it "first aired" on January 9, 1957 and starred Richard Conte as Jimmy Ringo and was written by Sam Peckinpah.

It indicated under the notes section, "TV Adaptation of the 1950 film "The Gunfighter" which starred Gregory Peck, Karl Malden and Helen Westcott. This episode was hosted by John Conte."

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Oh woops, I think I misread your first post... they were "remade" for TV?

That would mean that this show originally broadcast in the mid to late 1950's, but from what I had seen today - apart from the film itself, the program was presented in full color and hosted by someone who I honestly can't remember, but was evidently not from that time-frame. It looked to have been a fairly recent if not brand new show... Perhaps this was just an introduction to the episode than? Apart from the film itself, I didn't notice any vintage opening segments or anything indicating that this might have been a classic television series, which is why after viewing I was left confused at what I'd just seen because I could find no information on the movie anywhere..

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I keep answering my own questions... [​IMG]

I did an extensive search at TVTome and after seeing some of the episodes and titles of remakes, I am really intrigues and would love for this series to come to DVD!

I imagine it shouldn't be that difficult as it only seems to have run for 2 seasons.

Anyways, thanks for all the info, I had never even heard of this program previosuly but I'm heading over to TVSowsOnDVD right now to add a check to my voting list!

6. Mark To

Mark To Supporting Actor

They shot new wraparounds with Robert Wagner, trying to spruce it up and present it as a "lost series" that they dug out of the vaults and that hadn't been seen in 45 years or some such thing. So, I don't know what the original opening looked like but as far as I can tell the stories themselves are shown intact.

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I don't really have any reason for reviving this thread... except to say that I really wish there was a way that I could see this episode again!!

For some reason, I just started thinking about it this morning and got an urge to watch it again..

If anybody would be willing to record it for me next time it airs on FMC, I'd be really grateful! As long as it's uncut and of quality presentation.

Hopefully when Fox releases the original 1950 film with Gregory Peck, they'll include this episode as a bonus...

Is there any way to get a word out to Fox on this, a petition maybe?

It couldn't be much of an expense given the broadcast condition it was in. The transfer looked great to me. So there shouldn't be any reason for it not to be added to an eventual Gunfighter release...

8. Dan McW

Dan McW Second Unit

Dan
    Many of these episodes may be "uncut," but I know of two that ran way short of the standard 50-51-minute running time without commercials. "The Ox-Bow Incident" episode along with "Deception," with Linda Darnell and Trevor Howard, ran about 43 minutes each when I taped them. It was more than just a time-compression issue in each case--there seemed to be scenes missing.

"Hour of Stars" could have been formatted along the lines of the first season of "Cheyenne," where the episode run times are shorter because the studio used the remainder of the hour to promote its theatrical films. However, given that run times of films on FMC are often shorter than the original theatrical showings' (see all those IMDb "FMC library print" references, never with a longer run time listed), I wonder if FMC is to blame here.

There could be an issue of missing footage. I know that rediscovering and restoring "Hour of Stars" must have been a labor of love for those involved, but episodes that aren't complete really shouldn't have been aired.

By the way, "Hour of Stars" seems to have disappeared from FMC's schedule in recent weeks. Also, within the last year or so, they seemed to have stopped showing classic-movie trailers and Movietone footage, throwing all their between-movie time over to promoting newer theatrical films.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Interesting Dan, thanks for that info.

I sent an email to Fox Movie Channel through their site contact form last night saying how much I've been enjoying watching the series and how I hope that it can find it's way to home video in some incarnation. I also suggested pairing the episodes with the releases of the original films in which they were modeled after. Hopefully the email actually reaches somebody in the right department and is considered...

10. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

In spite of what some people on this board think, Fox has done a horrendous job of releasing their older shows. About the only stuff they have put out pre-1970 has been the Irwin Allen Sci-Fi shows and even then they put no money or restoration into Lost in Space. Everything else they are putting out that's older seems to be shows they own through acquisitions of other companies (Big Valley - 4 Star, White Shadow, Mary Tyler Moore Show, Hill Street Blues - MTM) while ignoring their own productions.

11. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan
    This would be a dream release, set utilizing the original Laura, its 20th Century Fox Hour incarnation, and its 1968 telefilm remake. Unfortunately, it appears that the 1968 telefilm is lost along with many others of the era:

Quote:

Trivia for
    Laura (1968) (TV)

George Sanders and Robert Stack had appeared years earlier in another television adaptation of "Laura", broadcast on the anthology series "The 20th Century Fox Hour", playing the same roles they did in the 1968 TV version. That 1950s version, which runs only an hour, is sometimes rebroadcast on the Fox Movie Channel as part of their series "Hour of Stars".

The videotape on which the film was originally recorded has reputedly been erased, making this presentation a distant television memory, most likely never to be seen again. The erasure of these videotapes was at the time a fairly common practice by TV networks, and a great deal of television history has undoubtedly been lost forever.

12. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

That's terrible John, but Laura is still listed on 20th Century Fox Hour's website episode guide and I'm fairly certain has been broadcast in the past couple of years... I could have sworn I'd seen it listed on my Tivo.

Anyways, we know for a fact that this isn't the case for End Of A Gun!

I don't understand why it's no common practice by now to include these made-for-TV versions as supplementals on the original film's DVD release? They would make for the definitive bonus features in my opinion!

13. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Hmmm... I just went to Tivo this series and can't seem to find it anywhere under the given title or the alternate rerun title (according to Imdb) Hour Of Stars.

I can also no longer find it on the FMC weekly schedule.

Has this been dropped or gone off the air recently?

If not, could anyone please post the dates and times of the next broadcast so that I could try to program it that way...

Thx.

14. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Okay... according to the website it airs Sat and Wed at 10pm ET / 7pm PT with an encore at 1pm ET / 10pm PT - but if you go to www.TheFoxMovieChannel.com it's nowhere on the schedule. I've searched the next 3 weeks so far...

What's the deal here?

15. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Btw, as for the TV version of Laura... according to the website ALL original sound and video elements from ALL 37 episodes have been located and digitally restored, remastered and preserved for future broadcast, etc. in their entirety.

16. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

What the poster was referring to was a version shot on videotape that was done in 1968.

17. Jon Hertzberg

Jon Hertzberg Screenwriter

Jonathan

Marco,

What I am referring to is a third, longer production of Laura, a telefilm shot in 1968, utilizing some of the same actors from the "20th Century Fox Hour" version.

There are two domestic television productions, though it seems that the latter one is no longer in existence, as it was shot on videotape and later erased.

-Jon