What's new

20th Century-Fox brand...sorry to see it go. (1 Viewer)

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
First time posting here.

If you go way back in history, the original name of the company was 20th Century Pictures which was created in 1935 as an independent studio and then later merged with Fox Films to become 20th Century Fox.

View attachment 76880

Since Disney bought 20th Century Fox it has now changed back to 20th Century. In some ways it's a return to the original name.

View attachment 76881
I don't know where the lower picture came from, but the new logo does not appear to have the Disney name in actual use, just as it's kept off of the LucasFilm and Marvel logos. Here's how it looks on the recent remake of Call Of The Wild:

Attachments

• 20th_studios.jpg
    20th_studios.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 99

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I don't know where the lower picture came from, but the new logo does not appear to have the Disney name in actual use, just as it's kept off of the LucasFilm and Marvel logos. Here's how it looks on the recent remake of Call Of The Wild:
I think the Walt Disney Company byline may only appear on trailers and TV spots. We'll see when The New Mutants comes out.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
It will, of course, remain on older titles, but now under Disney, the name is officially dead. Too many mice in the movies these days.

I'm surprised CNN posted as "new" news, as it was announced months ago. I think it took effect January 1, 2020, and the remake of Call of the Wild with Harrison Ford, released in February, has the new logo.

Incidentally, Fox Searchlight Pictures is now known simply as Searchlight Pictures. Both logos use the same animation as before but with the name change, accompanied by the Fox Fanfare composed by Alfred Newman.

I don't have any problem with the new studio names. I suspect putting distance between Disney and Fox was the prime motivator, but it might also be that Fox Corp objected to the use of the name "Fox" without a license and a hefty fee. Since, as noted, the original studio's name was 20th Century Pictures, it's a reasonable compromise that keeps the historical connection. It's certainly better than a wholesale change.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
I think the Walt Disney Company byline may only appear on trailers and TV spots. We'll see when The New Mutants comes out.

Good point, and that would make sense in the short term. I don't think Disney does that with LucasFilm or Marvel, but those names weren't changed when Disney bought their respective companies.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Can you imagine the hue and cry if Disney had unilaterally struck the studio name in toto and announced that going forward, all productions under the 20th Century Fox banner would be released under a revived version of either Touchstone or Hollywood Pictures?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Except they're keeping the 20th part which is arguably more outdated as it has been the 21st century for 20 years now. If this century were a person, that person would be in college by now.

I can definitely understand why this point comes up but to throw in my 2 cents - it has just never bothered me.

I'm fine with 20th staying the name of the studio for the simple fact that it's always been the name of the studio. Isn't the main gist of this thread about not renaming things and preserving history?

We kept it Warner Brothers after the Warner brothers died, right?

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I can definitely understand why this point comes up but to throw in my 2 cents - it has just never bothered me. I'm fine with 20th staying the name of the studio for the simple fact that it's always been the name of the studio.

And to point to a parallel example, Warner Bros. Records is now owned by Access Communications, and recently lost the right to use either the WB shield or the Saul Bass \\' logo. It now goes by Warner Records with a VERY basic logo.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson

Well, yes and no. When Jack Warner sold Warner Bros to Seven Arts in the late 60s the studio was renamed Warner Bros/Seven Arts and the logo was changed to a meld of W and 7. But when Seven Arts bought the company, and even when they sold it to Kinney Corporation a couple of years later, there was no other entertainment company called Warner.

The Fox name is a different matter, as it belongs to another major corporation and is toxic in some circles. If Disney had changed the name outright to something else, as suggested above in another post, that would be an historical issue, but 20th Century Studios still has a firm connection to film history.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
And to point to a parallel example, Warner Bros. Records is now owned by Access Communications, and recently lost the right to use either the WB shield or the Saul Bass \\' logo. It now goes by Warner Records with a VERY basic logo.

Wow -- I was not aware of that. But then, the music biz has gone through as many or more changes than the movie biz. Try following the path of Universal Music sometime; it's dizzying.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
What do you say we keep the politics out of it, guys???

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can definitely understand why this point comes up but to throw in my 2 cents - it has just never bothered me.

I'm fine with 20th staying the name of the studio for the simple fact that it's always been the name of the studio. Isn't the main gist of this thread about not renaming things and preserving history?

But calling it 20th Century X places it firmly in the past and most businesses don't want to look they are in the past.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What do you say we keep the politics out of it, guys???
Right, this is a non-political forum! Posts have been edited and deleted. Anybody that breaches politics again in this thread will face further disciplinary action. We're all intelligent people here, if you want to know why Disney dropped a particular name from its recently acquired studio then do a google search for that information. This forum is off-limits for discussing that information. There won't be any further warnings except moderator reaction to any future "political" comments made in this thread. This is not a debatable issue!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
To put it in non political terms, Disney purchased 21 Century Fox Corp. Certain assets, mostly broadcast TV stations, the Fox Broadcast Network, cable news and some sports assets were spun off from 21 Century Fox Corp. These assets became part of a new corporation named Fox Corporation which is controlled by the Murdoch family. As for the "Fox" name I don't see anything that says it is controlled by ether Disney or the Fox Corporation. Perhaps it is too generic to qualify for a trade mark. As to why Disney chose to drop "Fox" from its acquired assets, I think it is just as they said, to avoid confusion with the Fox Corporation. Those assets are now Disney and not a part of The Fox Corporation. The same thing happened when Viacom was split into CBS and Viacom. Paramount TV became CBS Studios to avoid confusion as the Paramount film studio was part of Viacom and the TV production studio was part of CBS. Of course now they have merged again but it was a good example, I thought.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
As for the "Fox" name I don't see anything that says it is controlled by ether Disney or the Fox Corporation. Perhaps it is too generic to qualify for a trade mark. As to why Disney chose to drop "Fox" from its acquired assets, I think it is just as they said, to avoid confusion with the Fox Corporation.

I can only repost the same information I put up a page back, although for the sake of variety I'll try a slightly different version...

8798F2FD-0866-41E3-8D3E-2706FF446845.jpeg

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
I'm surprised CNN posted as "new" news, as it was announced months ago. I think it took effect January 1, 2020, and the remake of Call of the Wild with Harrison Ford, released in February, has the new logo.

The article talks about the rebranding of the TV units, which is new.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Oh is that why the Worm logo is making a comeback lately after years of being plastered?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
To add to what Stephen just posted - the only thing new here is ABC Signature and Touchstone Television. The Fox thing that has gotten the press and drawn the ire is not new.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
To add to what Stephen just posted - the only thing new here is ABC Signature and Touchstone Television. The Fox thing that has gotten the press and drawn the ire is not new.
Well yeah that's what they called Fox Television between 1992 and 1996 (and their syndication arm since).

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Oh is that why the Worm logo is making a comeback lately after years of being plastered?
That, and specific requests from certain directors. Warner Music had a licence to use both the WB shield and the \\' for a number of years after Warner sold it off. The licence expired and Warner Music opted to change the name and logo to Warner Records. Block Font with a circle to the left of Warner in the logo with the bottom sliced off, like this:
warnerrecords-white.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks