What's new

20th Century Fox --- 75th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Over in the BluRay section, I saw Fox Vid post about their releases this coming year.
Many titles are mentinoed, not one of them is anything new!!!
Meanwhile they are repackaging Affair to remember in two different ways!!!
I am not thrilled.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Nothing announced new, and there were hints that there would. This seems just like the Paramount anniversary when we got the third and fourth release of Sunset Boulevard and Funny Face.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
How very disappointing........NO classics. A 75 Anniversary....nope....repackaging again and again the same titles!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I said it in another thread but that according to the press release, there's going to be 300 titles released in conjunction with the 75th anniversary. What's listed in the press release is what is available now and a taste of the big titles that are coming to Blu-ray this year. It's not a complete list so there's no reason to complain.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
The fact that Fox hasn't released much of anything new in the classic dvd field in quite some time makes me a little skeptical on the subject .
If they are releasing new classics this year when the heck do they plan on telling us . At the rate they're going if they do it won't be to the second half of the year .

Because i want more classics from them i will keep my fingers crossed and hope they prove me wrong.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TravisR

I said it in another thread but that according to the press release, there's going to be 300 titles released in conjunction with the 75th anniversary. What's listed in the press release is what is available now and a taste of the big titles that are coming to Blu-ray this year. It's not a complete list so there's no reason to complain.

Until they announce more titles, it is a complete list. Yes, there is reason to be disappointed, because of the hints they gave, but have not followed up. If you are going to announce coming Blu-ray, and the repackaging of many of your previously released titles as singles, doubles, triples, and quads, then you should go that extra mile and cause some real excitement and announce a few new titles. You just do not talk about something and then when the first announcement comes out none of the titles talked about are listed.
They talked of 300 titles and while this announcement does not list 300 titles, there are many titles that have been released in the past that are not listed, such as the Betty Grable, Alice Faye, Charlie Chan, and their Film Noir series that I bet make it to the the 75th anniversary party again as doubles, triples and quads.

Maybe I sound bitter, but I am really just very disappointed.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Well, I'll be hopeful for something that's actually interesting (i.e. new classics that haven't been previously released), but the list so far is a huge disappointment. Repackaging old stuff, again and again, is just a sick joke.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ahollis

Until they announce more titles, it is a complete list.
No, it's about 1/6 of all the titles that they'll release this year. Maybe the other 250 titles will ALL be re-releases or Blu-rays but until the rest of the movies are announced, it seems premature to worry or complain.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

No, it's about 1/6 of all the titles that they'll release this year. Maybe the other 250 titles will ALL be re-releases or Blu-rays but until the rest of the movies are announced, it seems premature to worry or complain.

But are you sure they will release 300 titles or do just as others have done that can talk the talk, but have not walked the walk. They can talk they want to about number of titles but until the announce them they are not here. The announcement talks about more waves and collections for Mothers day, Father's day, Family for Easter next year, but not one mention of anything new. Not worrying or complaining, just disappointed and asking for something.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

While I don't know about the exact number, there are new releases coming this year. I have "overheard" conversations and James Finn from Fox dropped some hints about a couple or titles in another thread. Other announcements are coming.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
I'm underwhelmed as well but am willing to wait to see what the future holds.

What is concerning though is that one would think the initial press release would try for a "splash" by announcing titles that would excite consumers rather than put the same old titles out there again and again. Not saying they needed to publish "all" of their new titles, but basic marketing common sense would seem to dictate that tossing a few nuggets out there would have built excitement and buzz, especially in light of Fox's absence from the classic market over the past year or so.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Steve...O

I'm underwhelmed as well but am willing to wait to see what the future holds.

What is concerning though is that one would think the initial press release would try for a "splash" by announcing titles that would excite consumers rather than put the same old titles out there again and again. Not saying they needed to publish "all" of their new titles, but basic marketing common sense would seem to dictate that tossing a few nuggets out there would have built excitement and buzz, especially in light of Fox's absence from the classic market over the past year or so.

That is my point also. To create interest, a few of the nuggets hinted at should have been announced with all the re-packaging. Create more of a stir in a positive way.

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
I would love more noir, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, and Dreamboat (Ginger Rogers & Clifton Webb).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH.

A Clifton Webb box of his comedies would be most welcome.

Agreed, Webb can be a truly enjoyable actor tor watch, from THE REMARKABLE MR. PENNYPACKER to SITTING PRETTY and the other Belevdere comedies a few good afternoons can be spent. Oh let's not forget STARS AND STRIPES and MR SCOUTMASTER. Looking over the titles that have not been released on DVD he does seem neglected.

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
Originally Posted by MattH. /forum/thread/299118/20th-century-fox-75th-anniversary/90#post_3681957

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks