What's new

20th Anniversary Dances With Wolves on Blu in January 11 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Looking forward to this, however details are still sketchy. I'm hoping this includes both the theatrical and extended cuts, but there is conflicting information so far as to which version this is.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
How misleading that they advertise the movie as a Best Picture winner on the cover, but don't actually include the version of the movie that won Best Picture.

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Originally Posted by cafink

How misleading that they advertise the movie as a Best Picture winner on the cover, but don't actually include the version of the movie that won Best Picture.

True. You will find the best picture of 1990 in the Goodfellas Blu-ray box ;)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I did not know that the theatrical version was available on Blu-ray, but it looks like it has indeed been released in the UK. It doesn't have any region-coding information, but says it's released by Warner, whose Blu-ray discs are typically all-region, aren't they?

One of the greatest films of all time...and I was very happy when it won Best Picture. It was one of the greatest movie-going experiences of my life.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill

Where?

Several months ago, I bought it from Amazon UK for $20 and it is region free. I'm going to buy this new release too because I like the extended version too.

Crawdaddy

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Excellent, that's all I really want. Saves me the money I'd have spent on a multi-disc set with extras I'd probably never get around to watching. I only ever watched the documentary about John Barry's score on the MGM DVD set.

As long as the Brit disc has the original version of the film that swept the Oscars, I'm happy.

I don't need to rebuy the 1hr longer TV miniseries version any more than I need another copy of the extended Italian TV cut of The Last Emperor, or the longer cut of AMADEUS. I have both versions of all of them on DVD, but only really want the originals on Blu. I've yet to see a film where making it longer made it better. Except maybe Kingdom of Heaven, since the 2hr cut was kind of incoherent.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by James Luckard I've yet to see a film where making it longer made it better.

Legend comes to mind.

I like both the Theatrical and Extended versions of Dances with Wolves about equally, personally.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway
I've yet to see a film where making it longer made it better.

Legend comes to mind.

I like both the Theatrical and Extended versions of Dances with Wolves about equally, personally.

[/QUOTE]

And LEON, actually. THE PROFESSIONAL is the work of butchers after you've seen LEON. The film's supposed to be about how a hitman trains a little girl in his craft, but the 15 minute sequence in which he does that is entirely deleted in THE PROFESSIONAL, she just seems to gain her skills by magic.

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard

One of the greatest films of all time...and I was very happy when it won Best Picture. It was one of the greatest movie-going experiences of my life.

I was the complete opposite at the time! I was sad Goodfellas lost to it. Don't get me wrong, Dances is a beautiful film, but I felt Goodfellas was groundbreaking cinema. 20 years later it's hard to argue against that. That being said, I prefer the theatrical cut of Dances, just as I do any film I've seen. I think extended/director's cuts are nice, but should be extras. I have to agree with the poster above - I don't know of one extended/director cut film that I prefer over the original. Blade Runner is the closest I can think of, but even then I still prefer the theatrical cut. It's nice to have the choice though!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks