20hz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

how important is it to have a sub that was a frequency response of 20hz?
    I know music cd's dont usually go below 40, but what about movies? Will i be missing something if my current sub is rated at 25hz at 3db?

2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Well, you're right in saying that most music doesn't have a lot of content below 40Hz. But, movies do; and possibly a lot depending on the kind of movie. The more recent action flicks will tend to have more and deeper bass.
    A sub that is only 3 dB down at 25 Hz is certainly an adequate performer for HT or music duties, but the real question is whether that spec. is actually true. Further, will it stay flat to 25 Hz as the volume is turned up? A lot of subs don't.
    If you can, try to audition exemplary subs that may be out of your price range to get an idea of what "real" bass is. Do this at volumes you typically listen at. Then listen to yours at the same volume and see if you really feel like you're missing enough to warrant an upgrade.
    Which, if you're thinking about doing, you can do no better than to check out Hsu and SVS.
    http://www.hsuresearch.com http://www.svsubwoofers.com
    Good luck!

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If you want a subwoofer with true 20 hz specs, then SVS is one to look at, along with my suggestions:
    Mirage BPS-400
    PSB Stratus Sub 7
    Paradigm Servo 15
    Even if your subwoofer only goes to 25 hz at -3 dB it still might be ok depending on your room. If the room is small enough, there is gain below 40 hz that can help. You will only find out by listening and there is a limit to what the room gain can do. It helps, but ideally, I'd choose a subwoofer that goes to 20 hz. I did. I bought a subwoofer that goes to 18hz, and oh my gosh, I can sure tell that it does.

4. Ron_N

Ron_N Extra

The new Monitor Audio Subwoofer ,FB-212, is said to go down to 20hz. It's kinda expensive though: $1995.

5. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

I'm pretty new to subwoofers. In fact, I've just bought my first one, a Velodyne CT-100, rated to 28Hz (+/- 3dB). At that rating, and in my relatively small room, I don't feel like I'm missing much. I watched Apollo 13 and I can both hear and feel it when the hatch slams shut and the rocket takes off. I wanted a SVS of course, but it was about $500 more than the Velodyne, which was on sale. Do I wonder what I could be missing? Of course. Do I really feel like I'm missing out? Not anymore! I was missing out before I bought the sub.
    I will very likely buy a sub that goes to 20Hz when I can afford a *musical* one. I suppose I could have found some sub that goes to 20Hz within my price range, but I'm not sure if the sound would be tight and the response curve reasonably flat.
    What are the big factors in your decision? Price? Frequency response? HT vs. music?
    ------------------