What's new

20C Fox: Warlock (1959, Henry Fonda)? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Now Paramount have released The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, I was wondering whether we may expect the "other" Warlock, by Edward Dmytryk (1959).
It's an astonishingly intelligent film, proving the versatility and broad scope of the once so popular Western genre.
A strong cast (among others: Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn, Richard Widmark, Dorothy Malone and, yes!, DeForest Kelly) in a film that pairs interesting psychological development with good old western action. A strong climax and a daring underlying theme (certainly for 1959): the psychology of affectionate bonding between men.
I own this film on VHS tape, and I think it deserves a DVD release. To the best of my knowledge, the rights are owned by Twentieth Century Fox.
It's one of those films I would order immediately when announced as a decent DVD version!
Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cees,

I didn't know you're such a western fan!:b By the way, I second "Warlock" who's theme is about loyalty and friendship even among gunmen.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Robert,
You bet!
Of the two great fiction genres I fancied since my youth (Western and Sci-Fi), the latter always did better in writing (while great films occurred, but often based on a so-so book version), the first almost exclusively on the big screen (in my childhood, when we were on vacation, my mother rented approx. 2 books a day, mostly westerns, she let me read those ever since my 9th birthday. So we had 40-60 during one month each year - not all superb :)).
I still love'em both. Have all major movies (and consider westerns major rather easily ;), although there is a line...).
Cees

Users who are viewing this thread