What's new

$2050 for PB2-Plus- Competition????!!!! (1 Viewer)

Bhavesh

Stunt Coordinator
Bo,

I was in the same boat as you. If I were in the US , buying SVS would be a no-brainer.

But shippping to SA and taxes would have added about $300 to the cost of a 25-31 PCi, so I decided to go the DIY route. That plus there was some confusion concerning if Bax Global actually ships door-to-door to my address. I also did not receive the "legendary" SVS customer service from Erik K - No alternative suggestions or advice about local options and finally the guy just stopped responding to my emails. Axiom Audio gave me much better customer service when I bought an M22 from them - but their subs aren't as good.

There are many reference designs on the Adire Audio website and because you will only be importing the driver, shipping costs and taxes will be less. Also try Parts Express for good sub drivers - I ended up getting their 12'' DVC. WinISD is a simple freeware program that will tell you what size box you need for any driver you choose to buy. You'll be suprised at how simple putting together a good DIY sub is.

Make use of the advice in the DIY forum, just as you are doing here.

Anson Lee

Auditioning
Bo,

I am in the same situation.

I am from Shanghai, China. I am interested to buy the 20-39 PC Plus and made an enquiry to Erik on the shipping charge. Bax Global will ship it to Shanghai Door to Door for US$500!! I am not sure what other taxes and duties would be incurred. I am now thinking real hard on the options. I really wanted the 20-39 PC+, but the price of the Axiom EP350 is only US$763 including shipping to Shanghai, China. My question is: Is the 20-39 PC+ worth the additional US$562 over the Axiom EP350? I am intending to pair the sub up with the Axiom M60s, VP150 and the QS8 and the Yamaha RX-V1400 in a 3000 cubic feet room. Any suggestions??

Anson.

Bhavesh

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Anson,

I've read a review that compared an SVS, a HSU and the Axiom. The SVS, even though it was the cheapest trounced the others. I think its on their website.

I don't know if you've already bought the Axiom speakers you've mentioned, but you can save an extra 5% (excluding the 10% for buying Factory outlet stock). Since you're paying so much for shipping already, it not likely ur gonna return them within the 30 day period. So ask Amie for a discount if you agree to waive the 30 day money back audition period. Plus there's an additional discount if you buy 5 speakers from Axiom.

Anson Lee

Auditioning
Bhavesh,

I am planning to acquire all these speakers in May. Yes, I am aware about the 5% discount for buying 5 speakers from Axiom, but I am not aware of the additional discount for waiving the 30 day return period. I will probably do that as it does not make sense to return the speakers, and reading from the feedback on the M60, VP 150 and QS8, I would not need to return them.

I have seen the review comparing the SVS, HSU and the Axiom. However, in my case, after shipping charges, the SVS is more than US$500 more expensive. My question is whether can the SVS justify itself for being US$500 more. It would be a no-brainer for me to buy the SVS if I were to be from the States, but unfortunately, I am in Shanghai, China. As for the HSU, they do not ship to Shanghai at all.

Anson.

JohnSmith

Supporting Actor
Well I think the $825 SVS trounces a £1800 Rel and a $2100 M&K MX-350..so I would say they're well worth it. How much is a Storm & MX-350 in China?

Bo Assdale

Agent
Uhhhhhhhhhh- It's a toughy! Do I go ALL out and spoil myself to the PB2-Plus (...and thereby maybe having LOT'S and LOT'S of headroom that I might never use...:rolleyes:)

...or do I opt for the PB2-ISD and use the rest of the "cash" to buy a bigger, better Center-speaker for my HT (...and likely having the "what-if conundrum" in the back of my head- forever thereafter... :confused: )

Do the subs (...or- I guess the +-driver vs. the ISD) have different sonic signatures when neither is pushed near their limits?!

Bo,

If I was in the USA, buying a SVS would be a easy choice. However exchange rates, shipping etc make it harder. It's always good to support local products. Your local Dali spaker company make some fine speakers and just one great sub - the SWA-15 (the smaller ones really aren't comparable).

I don't know what the price in Scandanavia is for these - but as they are made there - it should be as good as it gets.

Worth a listen. 15 inch driver, 1000w digital amp 119 db output and a 3 db point of 22 Hz - they are very musical - and you don't have to import them.

An Australian magazine reviewed a broad range of commercial subwoofers speakers and gave them subwoofer of the year under $3000...

I have just bought my second SWA-15 - and two of them stacked seriously make the earth move on my 7000 cubic ft room .... (as would, I'm sure that SVS PB2+ :) )

Geoff

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Dali SWA15 costs $1300 here. If the initial TCO of a SVS PB2 ISD is $1600... I'd jump for the SVS. Actually, I already did. :D

Dali's claim "Maximum SPL: 119 dB" is basically marketing bullshit. No testing conditions and methods are given. Ignore it.

Bo Assdale

Agent
Ladies & Gents- IT is done!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

...I've just ordered the PB2-Plus, and I couldn't be happier!!! :D Do you think 3 weeks of waiting is a bit optimistic? How long does it normally take when shipping overseas?!

I also bought the Bettercables interconnect (12 meters)! We don't have this cable-brand in Europe! Is it any good?! I just bought it because it was practical and dead cheap! :b

Bassheaven- Here I come!!!

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
:emoji_thumbsup:

Since I had the same sub like you before (Yamaha YST-SW800)... You'll be floored. The difference is staggering.

Shipping: two days from Ohio, Chicago via Washington DC (IIRC) to Vienna. Add a few days, a day or two for customs. WOOF! :D

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Bo answers the call and joins the Cult. Your dues have been paid. Congrats and it sounds like your going to be in bass heaven real soon.

Bo Assdale

Agent
Hey- Rudi B!!!

Uhhhhhhhhh- In this diabolically tough waiting-period, couldn't you tell me a little bit about the MAJOR differences between the sound/"feel" of the PB2-Plus compared to the Yamaha YST sw-800?!

Which movies did literally "blow you away" when you watched them for the first time in company with an SVS?!

Please be specific!!! I LOVE "those kind of stories"!!! :D

...did you also have trouble with port-noise with the "Yammi"?!

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Well... Uh, I the last time I heard that sub was... 9 months ago? Actually, I haven't heard *any* other home sub other than PB2+ in this period. :)

Yes, lots of port noise with Yamaha. Bastard.

First "holy-shit-out-of-nowhere" moment? Finding Nemo, Darla. :emoji_thumbsup:

Also, try to turn up some pop/rap (bass heavy) music and observe how the sub just smiles; Yamaha compressed and "left behind" the main speakers (not to mention, the boomy sound). Then, turn it up 10dBs more and boost the sub 10dBs up... It still won't give up. Crazy.

Bo Assdale

Agent
Great to hear!!! I listen to a lot of different music-genres, but rap is by far "my favourite"!!!

What about the following movies?!

Titan A.E.
Saving Private Ryan
The Haunting
Fight Club (The plain crash...!)

What are you experiences with these (...or other bass-heavy movies... ;) )

P.s. I don't mean to be an annoying s.o.b. but as I said earlier- "THIS is my nectar" ;)

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Rap? Hm, 50 Cents' In The Club... 35-40Hz "drum", it kinda goes around you and into the floors... Deep stuff, not that "chest thumping" feeling. That'll be a new experience for you. Hm... Chingy - Gettin' It - very strong 32Hz one note bass line. That will also be a new experience of _clean_ bass for you.

Fight Club is great. Finding Nemo is a bass reference for me. Also, check the Matrix & LOTR series. Especially the last two parts. :)

Hadn't heard the others on the new setup. Shame on me.

Bo Assdale

Agent
Yippeeeeeeee- sounds GREEEEAAAATTT! ;) Anyone else who wants to share their "movie-bass-epiphanies"?! Which subs have have you demoed & and how do they compare to the PB2?!
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
:D

What about the Bettercables- anyone?! Your Experinces when compared to other brands?! Good, bad or simply "OK"!
:emoji_thumbsup: / :thumbsdown: :confused:

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Congrats on your SVS purchase... You will not be sorry!
Let us know how it goes. I know going through customs and import and stuff is a bummer and also adds the taxes but even so you will love this thing so much after a few days you will forget about the money and wondered why I waited so long to get this thing...... Keep us posted....

Bo Assdale

Agent
As long as we are talking about "loving a sub"! :b How do you think the PB2-Plus is going to stack up against the Infinity Intermezzo 1,2S and the Klipsch KSW-12?! (The respective subs of my two friends)

...ESPECIALLY when compared to the Infinity- are we talking "SPL's, Frequency-range, Kick.... the LOT"?!
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks