2046 US release?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Matt_P, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

Hey all,

Being a fan of Wong Kar-Wai, I've wanted to see 2046 ever since I heard it was in the works. It looks like another superb effort--a kind of sci-fi/futuristic quasi-sequel to In the Mood for Love.

It garnered praise at Cannes (but was overshadowed by a little editorial/documentary film). Any word on a US release date? A DVD (even alternate region)? How bout it, Criterion? [​IMG]

BTW, Richard Corliss wrote a glowing piece on the film: http://www.time.com/time/asia/magazi...641205,00.html

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

According to IMDB, it hasn't been released in Asia yet. Malaysia is first on the list to get it on September 30th. A DVD wouldn't be released there until at least the end of the year, but I'd imagine it would be later. As for U.S. distribution, I haven't heard anything about a U.S. distributor picking it up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0212712/releaseinfo

3. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I read the director has decided to go back and shoot more scenes for the movie.

4. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

that's what monkeypeaches is reporting... and highly likely, as WKW is such a perfectionist.

IMDB shows Buena Vista/Disney has the US distribution rights, so at least it's not Miramax (then again, Harvey may be gone soon...)

anyhow, without a Hong Kong release noted, I doubt we'll see this before next year, DVD or otherwise. I wonder if "Eros" may make it out here in the US first, as it's going to be premiered over at Venice next month and may make the international rounds faster

5. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

Dark Horizons had this listed from the MonkeyPeaches site with the August 12th news:

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Buena Vista or Miramax? Hoo-boy. Looks like I'll be seeing this movie initially on a Chinese/HK import DVD.

S'alright. Can't wait! [​IMG]

7. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Haha, I remembered that Maggie won the best actress award at Cannes, but I forgot that she won it for Clean and not for 2046. If she had won the award for a one-shot cameo, boy, that would've been something. [​IMG]

8. Michael^DC

Michael^DC Extra

why do most other countries seem to get good movies before USA?

9. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

America gets good American movies first, so it works out. I would assume that since the US is a larger market and more is at stake, negotiations are tougher and take longer.

10. Matt_P

Matt_P Second Unit

True, Dan. I wasn't aware WKW was going back to shoot additional bits. He's certainly notorious for tweaking his films till the last possible second.

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I just posted this in the 2005 Foreign, Alternative and Independent Films thread:

2046 has been picked up by Sony Pictures Classics, and will be released into theaters starting on August 5th. It's old news (announced back in March), but I didn't find out about it until today, and no one posted about it here.

http://movies.about.com/od/moviesinp...film032305.htm

12. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I have seen the film. It was at Seattle Int'l Film Fest. Our version was 126-129 some minutes. Let me just say, it blows 'In the Mood for Love' the hell out of the water. (and who thought that was possible?) It is very different, though; it is just as subtle thematically, but the visual approach is enhanced- more vibrant, some obscenely exquisite camera moves- dolly shots, freeze frames, black and white; also, it's 2.35:1. This is one of those movies where the character development is conveyed by the color of the walls, or the amount of light in the room; it's a whole different type of movie watching, I can't really explain it. It works on a different level than most films; the focus is on mood and feeling. It aims not for the mind, but for the gut. And the sound design, the brilliant repeating music cues, the atmosphere, the fuc*ing colors, the set direction, the acting, my goodness...I could rant about this movie for days. Do everything you can to see it. Rumor has it it's already on netflix, albeit in a rather shitty dvd- check dvdbeaver for details and screenshots.

I know this isn't a review/discussion thread, sorry, I couldn't resist talking about it. btw, upcomingmovies.com confirms the august release.

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I think I have the DVD that NetFlix has (Mei Ah Region 0), and I don't think the DVD is that bad at all.

14. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I also watched the Mei Ah disc (rented from Netflix), and it really, truly is not bad... especially for Mei Ah! I'm still waiting for a definitive (preferably NTSC) DVD to purchase, but in the meanwhile this is a good option for folks not lucky enough to get a screening in their town.

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

This is probably too late of a notice for most of you, but I was just flipping channels and saw Wong Kar-Wai on Charlie Rose. He doesn't appear as a guest on my program guide, but fellow guest Reid Weingarten does. According to Rose's official site, the show was taped on Tuesday, so I was lucky to see it this late.

17. Haggai

Haggai Producer

The movie finally came to the Washington DC area just this past weekend, thanks to its rather dippy release pattern. I saw it yesterday afternoon, and I loved it, definitely worth waiting for. As has been well known to WKW fans for a while now, it's very much in the style of Days of Being Wild and In the Mood for Love, and it even has major and minor characters from those movies showing up again. This movie is more impressionistic than either of those, with several women just drifting in and out of Tony's life, plus the sci-fi futuristic stuff that doubles and riffs on a couple of the story-lines, mainly the one involving Faye Wong.

Interesting how Tony's character, the same one he played in ITMFL, is actually more like Leslie's character in DOBW here, a love 'em and leave 'em type who doesn't have any illusions about what he's doing. Maybe there's a link with that last shot at the end of DOBW, where Tony briefly shows up and basically appears to be picking up where Leslie left off. Zhang is particularly great in 2046, really intoxicating in those '60s clothes and hairstyle that Maggie wore so beautifully (and to such different effect) in ITMFL. I guess 2046 is to sex what ITMFL was to unfulfilled longing, at least in terms of what we see on-screen: they never even kissed in ITMFL, but there's plenty of hopping in the sack in this movie. Actually kind of different for WKW from most of his previous movies, I'd say; there's the early sex scene between Tony and Leslie in Happy Together, but I can't remember any other ones in his other movies (aside from The Hand, that is, and maybe Tony landing those model airplanes on his girlfriend's naked back in Chungking Express). Faye is great in this one as well, and totally different from how she was in CE--definitely no bopping around to California Dreamin' in this one. And Gong Li has a perfect WKW-style presence, of course, although her role isn't too big. Not quite as fully realized a role for her as in The Hand, but she's still great here.

Brilliant music, as we always get from WKW. They made the obviously smart decision of hiring Shigeru Umebayashi to do some original themes, after having used one of his older movie themes to such great effect in ITMFL. There's also the familiar presence of '60s Latin-style pop music, and even a bit of Italian opera this time around.

All the familiar cinematographic trademarks show up as well, and to the nth degree, maybe even more so than in his other movies. Amazing how sensual it can be just to see a woman's feet filmed in a particular style, or two people standing in a doorway talking to each other. I guess it's true that this movie isn't saying much that's new, considering what we've already seen in the previous films, but WKW's overall style has never been in better form than it is here.

18. Haggai

Haggai Producer

By the way, looking back up-thread at what was being speculated about last year, I just wanted to clear up what happened with this:

She still doesn't have any lines, although she does appear in more than one shot. So it's gone from a one-shot cameo to something like a 4 or 5-shot cameo...LOL.

19. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Having been utterly hypnotized for the 1st time by In the Mood for Love this past weekend, I will be seeking this one out. I missed it's 1st run here last week, but it's coming back to another theater at the end of the month.

--
    H

20. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    In the Mood for Love has a personal appeal to me because my parents met and married in Hong Kong in the 60s and the film made me think of all the photos I've seen of them from their time dating. The suits with thin neckties, the hairstyles, the polyester dresses...everything was there. I think I have kind of romanticized that time in my parents' life, and the film basically reinforced that. 2046 sounds a little more abstract, but I'm itchin' for this to come to town. I may have to order the DVD for another region though.